• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Must have hand tools?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
690F03F2-6741-44B5-AF6E-A78B1A5792BF.jpeg

Stopped and got a couple things. At the bottom is a Starett scribe. I’m not sure on the made in China transfer punches

Thanks for the advice fellas

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You will like the Soba tools. they are very well made, as a rule. I have 2 of those Igauging calipers, and they have served me very well.

Just a note - between projects, save the clear plastic packaging from your battery, and make a disk to store the caliper with the disc disconnecting the battery. If not, you batteries will die in under a half of a year, with it, I get a couple of years out of each CR2032 battery

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Always check the expiry date on discount batteries. I've gotten some killer deals on good brand names via Ebay but they might be say 4 years into a 5 year shelf life. So read the fine print. Or if there is no fine print, that might explain the price. Having said that I have gone beyond the date by a long shot. Batteries are just like tools, sometimes you get what you pay for. And sometimes not. I have the discharging equipment from RC to be able to quantify this stuff & I've concluded basically anything goes. Sometimes store bought cells with zippy names are marginally better than generics. Or more the case, 20% better maH capacity but 200% the price, so you do the math.

I wont buy crappy digital calipers anymore. I figure its better to starve them so they eventually go back to the drawing board & make better ones LOL. Having said that they seem to be improving. A while back most every knock off had this same problem. Now many are decent. Not Mitutoyo decent but better. The trick is how to know beforehand. Its virtually impossible.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I wont buy crappy digital calipers anymore.
Can you suggest any brand names that are decent in your opinion that are between Mitutoyo and crappy? I bought a Crappy Tire caliper (I think for $24) and then dropped it and was glad I didn't have an expensive one. So I bought another. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing!?

John Conroy

Premium Member
I ordered a Mitutoyo digital caliper (haven't received it yet) on Amazon. I have bought some cheap ones and they are a disappointment as Peter said. I use Mitutoyo calipers at work and there is no comparison to the Accusize (cheap) ones I have at home. There are lots of counterfeit ones around but the reviews here say it is a genuine Mit. Of course I can always send it back if it's a fake. Not much more money than a cheap caliper.

https://www.amazon.ca/FidgetGear-Mi...1545671549&sr=8-1&keywords=fidgetgear+caliper

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Asimeto might fit that bill. I don't have the 6" conventional but I bought a hook caliper that looked to be closely resembling a Mitutoyo design wise. It seems to be 'in-between' quality, not Mitutoyo silky smooth, but not junk. And from what I have found thus far, didn't eat batteries. Watch for sales & shop around if you are not in a hurry. Some of the machinist tooling places carry the line but as below, prices vary. They also make a big digit display in some calipers which is nice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Asimeto-73070...1545671544&sr=1-1&keywords=asimeto+6"+caliper

https://www.traverscanada.com/6-cal...er/p/57-020-704/?catalog=170101&target=bottom

Downwindtracker2

With the reviews, it seems to be Mitutoyo or Mitutoyo, for electronic calipers . Even the Starretts are come in a distant second place. As I said ,I just keep a pack of batteries handy, it's simple to remember 357

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered a Mitutoyo digital caliper (haven't received it yet) on Amazon. I have bought some cheap ones and they are a disappointment as Peter said. I use Mitutoyo calipers at work and there is no comparison to the Accusize (cheap) ones I have at home. There are lots of counterfeit ones around but the reviews here say it is a genuine Mit. Of course I can always send it back if it's a fake. Not much more money than a cheap caliper.

https://www.amazon.ca/FidgetGear-Mi...1545671549&sr=8-1&keywords=fidgetgear+caliper
I hope you let us know what you think of it. I think even I could splurge for that.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member

That looks like the set I have but I know I paid more. I'll compare when I get home today

I like my mitutoyo set fine, especially the absolute feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Like Dabbler In general I’ve found the iGaging stuff to be pretty good. It’s less money but not junk. I have a digital caliper, a depth gauge, and dro from them. Busy bee carries the brand. It’s not as nice as the mitutoyo but money needs to stretch.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

This is half or less of the typical price for a mitutoyo. Given the seller I’m skeptical it’s genuine. Let us know if it’s good when you get it John.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Y
This is half or less of the typical price for a mitutoyo. Given the seller I’m skeptical it’s genuine. Let us know if it’s good when you get it John.
Ya I was a bit skeptical too but I figured if it's good enough for John AND I can afford it....I had better jump at it! So I ordered one too! We will see.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How is the SOBA branded stuff? I seem to be bringing a lot of that stuff home from BB these days.
Machinist squares, 1-2-3 blocks (I think), boring head, rotary table etc etc.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Soba has done well by me so far. I have some smaller items but recently bought the 6" (actually 5.92" ) rotary table and it is a soba and was a pleasant surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Soba is a cut above the typical offshore stuff. Don't expect name brand performance out of it, the metals are usually softer than they should be, but they will serve well, and are accurate.

I just won't try to push the limits on a Soba tool. for a square and similar tools, a home machinist won't see any difference.