• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Missing Images....

Some interesting and possibly relevant reading for the folks who provided the "upgrade"

Also some food for thought. This principle has served the medical community and most of humanity for centuries!

View attachment 51149
I agree. To change to a format dictated my Google and Chrome is unacceptable. We get enough of that crap from Apple and Microsoft when they "enhance our user experience".

Some interesting and possibly relevant reading for the folks who provided the "upgrade"

Interesting. I've never seen a legal definition. Not sure that would hold up in any court challenge.

FWIW, by these definitions they did an update and then installed a few new features of their liking. Josh is handling the "discussion" with them. I know he has our collective best interests at heart.

Also some food for thought. This principle has served the medical community and most of humanity for centuries!

I think everyone agrees with that in principle. Too bad even the medical profession slips up regularly even when such a motto has life and death meaning. They are also much more highly educated and also regulated than our server guys.

But ya, it's a worthy goal.

How about this one?

View attachment 51009

And this one

Your test .webp images above @Susquatch work fine on my recent era Mac Book Air on Safari and Chrome. Lots of missing pictures though I'm so sorry to say. I came to this thread wondering what happened to all the pictures. It's system life cycle management 101 but we still get caught by it all the time. Test the upgrade on a test machine, verify it is good, have a full and tested restoration backup ready to go, apply the update and verify. If there are problems, now, or in a week, roll it back. We computer people are eternal optimists and are always pressed for time. This is 'low' risk and an easy upgrade. The likelihood of problems is remote.... We've done similar upgrades many times without issues. We don't need to do all that work for no reason... ha. I've done this myself, me, recently and I know better, on one of my shop computers. Now I have a ton of config to figure out. omg. @Jwest7788 I feel your pain.

I agree. To change to a format dictated my Google and Chrome is unacceptable. We get enough of that crap from Apple and Microsoft when they "enhance our user experience".

Just to pipe up here as another voice……..other than chrome I have nothing on my W7 platforms (which covers all of my daily use platforms) which recognize this oddball webp format and I would rather not have to find a tool to view or save such images just because google thinks they have a better idea.

I would advocate for sticking to jpg formats on the forum.

D :cool:

Hopefully this might clear things up as the reasons
The reasons are non-justifiable in this day and age of inexpensive disk storage. Add that the size of images in this forum are restricted. To instantly make all older computers and software non-functional is the Apple and lately Microsoft to force people to upgrade to result in more income for the respective companies. The PCs we use and disk space we have are now already way faster than what is required for most applications.

The change to WebP as not needed and clearly damaged the history of this forum beyond belief.

Just to pipe up here as another voice……..other than chrome I have nothing on my W7 platforms (which covers all of my daily use platforms) which recognize this oddball webp format and I would rather not have to find a tool to view or save such images just because google thinks they have a better idea.

I would advocate for sticking to jpg formats on the forum.

D :cool:
I just remote desk-topped into my WIN-7 system. The 32 bit copy of Irfanview would not open a WebP file but it was about a 3.6 revision. Downloaded the 4.67 32 bit revision and the 32 bit plugins. Now the WebP loads.

I'll power up the WIN-XP system I use for accounting and try it there too.

But to be clear. Other programs I use do _not_ support this crappy format. And since I have no interest in updating my LightRoom Software that I use for NEF format photos from my NIKON and that it can't read WebP files there's another example of stupid changes for change sake.

Last edited:
Hmm, so, this appears to mean this old i-pad I have been using would need to be replaced with something much newer, that can run/download newer programs so I can see pictures. While the i-pad maybe able to update to newer "stuff", I will need to find a 10 year old kid that might be able to do it/show me how, and have the patience to do so.
These goings-on may also have something to do with not being able to log in right with the i-pad.
Typed and sent from my phone! with the little viewing screen. Not the i-pad

Hmm, so, this appears to mean this old i-pad I have been using would need to be replaced with something much newer, that can run/download newer programs so I can see pictures. While the i-pad maybe able to update to newer "stuff", I will need to find a 10 year old kid that might be able to do it/show me how, and have the patience to do so.
These goings-on may also have something to do with not being able to log in right with the i-pad.
Typed and sent from my phone! with the little viewing screen. Not the i-pad
As I say to my wife whenever she has problems with her computer or phone. "Well you did buy an Apple....." Then I duck but so far I'm still alive...

For entertainment I went onto this site using my now 9 year old Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

Downloaded the image of my puppy which of course was saved in the downloads folder in WebP format.
The tablet was able to then off line view this photo so the OS has kept up to date with the WebP format images. At least with one of the photo viewers. Another one just spins and appears to hang.

But... Here's the funny part.
The tablet has the ability via WiFi to connect to my LG Smart TV and show images. The TV posts up messages every couple of weeks to do a firmware upgrade to which I say yes so it's running the latest software.

All the JPGs on my tablet show up on the big screen. Except for that one WebP image. Comes up with an unknown format message. Now it's possible that the app on the TV that shows the images is out of date but I have no clue how to ask it to update if it's even possible.

So my take on this if LG isn't supporting this yet, although I suspect it will at some time it was incredibly bad judgment by the forum software maintainers to do such a major upgrade to a new format and lose forum history. This isn't a small bug that they think, well it worked on my WIN-11 PC so let's launch.

My two cents...

I agree with you @trlvn , this appears to be a very clear effort by the server guys to conserve server space. This is a primary goal for all server guys. Server space is always a problem for them. FWIW, I don't think we should be paying for a service that meets their needs but doesn't meet ours.
I agree - this appears to be a "server guys" problem, not a XenForo problem.
HM runs on XenForo (Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-2024 XenForo Ltd.). Photos (.jpeg) as old as 2019 are still visible.

Whoa cowboys, put yer hangin ropes back on your horses.

The local "server guys" your walking to the gallows are all volunteers and don't do this for the money. They started the site to pass on info and help others progress in the hobby so cut them some slack. Will things go awry from time to time?, you bet but shit happens everywhere else in the world as well.
The local "server guys" could just as easily say f_ck this and walk away then we're all going elsewhere. I've seen other excellent sites where the admins have walked away because all they get is flack from users for things not being perfect. News flash, it's not a perfect world. This is the only forum I'm on because it's one of the most community minded as opposed to some of the uppity minded sites that are out there.
Am I happy with losing all the pictures, hell no but we need to wait and see how and if it can be fixed.
In the mean time if one of you knows how to fix it or can help I'd urge you to do so, that's what I believe this is about, helping not blaming.

Also to the "server guys", is this issue something that a server/programmer member could help with? I'd like to think that we're here for you as much you're here for us.

I'll put away my soapbox now.

Whoa cowboys, put yer hangin ropes back on your horses.

The local "server guys" your walking to the gallows are all volunteers and don't do this for the money. They started the site to pass on info and help others progress in the hobby so cut them some slack. Will things go awry from time to time?, you bet but shit happens everywhere else in the world as well.
The local "server guys" could just as easily say f_ck this and walk away then we're all going elsewhere. I've seen other excellent sites where the admins have walked away because all they get is flack from users for things not being perfect. News flash, it's not a perfect world. This is the only forum I'm on because it's one of the most community minded as opposed to some of the uppity minded sites that are out there.
Am I happy with losing all the pictures, hell no but we need to wait and see how and if it can be fixed.
In the mean time if one of you knows how to fix it or can help I'd urge you to do so, that's what I believe this is about, helping not blaming.

That used to be true when Josh provided Server services gratis for the forum.

Today, a paid server team and hosting service looks after us.

Josh is still involved with them, but we pay them to look after us.

If the old model were still in place I would have agreed with you totally. But now that we pay someone, I think they should be held to a higher standard.

Also to the "server guys", is this issue something that a server/programmer member could help with? I'd like to think that we're here for you as much you're here for us.

I have tried to help as much as they will let me. But they don't seem to want help. I don't think that fits their "paid expert" business model.

Josh is meeting with them shortly. We will see what comes of that.

I'll put away my soapbox now.

This soapbox is useful for other aspects of the forum. Please don't put it away. Volunteers can always choose not to.

FWIW, this is my favorite forum by a VERY WIDE MARGIN. This despite the fact that I started some of the other forums myself. I've never encountered such a helpful, caring, generous, friendly, knowledgeable bunch of people anywhere else.

Not set up for a hanging at this time. Still got the saddle and a few ropes, no horse anymore, not been on one maybe 5 years now.
Could be project #102 (hanging).
As to the problem with images, I got them on the phone, at least the current ones, not checked"older" ones. Not on the i-pad though.
I appreciate all the work various are doing, to try and get the problem(s) fixed. As the old saw goes, how can you walk around the world? One step at a time, Grasshopper!
Am I buying a new i-pad/laptop or other?, NO, not till I have heard that the problem has been fixed as best possible. Is this a bit inconvenient, sure, but so is waking up in the middle of the night to get up for extra water draining, (each to their own, on waking up and getting up).
This does remind me of 2 g, 3 g, 4g, phone sh#$%t, we will make them get new phones!
I like the the phones, cause they have "all them there appy thinggys on them" , most of them I don't use, don't even know what they can do, or how to use them. Hey, where's that 10 year old kid!, or the younger one!
I hear tell you can take a picture with a phone! Who would have thought that 50 years ago! Put a whole new meaning to " a picture is worth a 1000 words".
Keep carrying on and let us know how it's going.
Enough of the babble.

Just wondering if it could have something to do with the resizing app or anything else that has been added.

Back