• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Missing Images....

All previous photos still missing. Can't see them with iPhone or Win10/Firefox or Win 11/Firefox on a different computer, although the file names of the photos do show.

Posting this one to see if it shows up.

POLISH 03.webp

All my photos are still on my phone and backed up on my file servers. As @jcdammeyer points out, that might not be true for everyone.
If I post from the MBA, I crop the photos on my iPhone (Radiant Mobile), transfer them to the MBA, rename them, save in a dated folder and file the folder in my CHMW folder before posting. If I post from the iPhone, I try to remember to transfer, etc. the next day, but don’t always remember to do this.

The main reason I do this (other than I’m anal as you already know) is so I can find them in the future if a similar topic comes up on this or another forum.

And, Yes, I realize not everyone has the time to do this or have a similar workflow.

Craig, I can see pics on both iPhone (iOS 17.6.1) & MBA (Safari 17.6):

BPort Clone iPhone.webp
BPort Clone 2020 M1 MBA.webp

Try logging out and then back in.

I checked on my iPhone and the 'problem' images are visible; they are delivered in webp format. ChazzC's post (#26) shows two question-mark-rectangles for me on the Mac referencing webp format images. I am, however, running an older version of macOS (10.15.7). A random internet search suggests that webp format images are not supported in Safari before macOS 11. I'm not quite ready to upgrade right now.

Is there some reason I'm being served webp format? Is everybody? If so, why the change? Is this because of the patent issues with jpeg and/or png?

Logging out and back in made no improvement.

Craig

I checked on my iPhone and the 'problem' images are visible; they are delivered in webp format. ChazzC's post (#26) shows two question-mark-rectangles for me on the Mac referencing webp format images. I am, however, running an older version of macOS (10.15.7). A random internet search suggests that webp format images are not supported in Safari before macOS 11. I'm not quite ready to upgrade right now.

Is there some reason I'm being served webp format? Is everybody? If so, why the change? Is this because of the patent issues with jpeg and/or png?

Logging out and back in made no improvement.

Craig

I'm getting jpg s that don't display.

I uploaded jpg formats, and they show as webp for me as well when I look back at my post. I just checked the HMEM forum and my uploaded photos are converted to jpeg there.

It has been a couple of days...any update?

In case I'm the only one, images don't display properly in posts since shortly after the forum upgrade. For example, in https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/bridgeport-clone-700-aurora-on.11875/post-163198 I see the question mark icon (blue square) in a small rectangle. It references IMG_3400.webp. This is with Safari 15.2 under macOS.

Craig
I can see this one on both my WIN-10 system and on my Android S10 phone.

Still not fixed guys. Worse, no word on when or even IF.... it will be......

FWIW, the problem is only photos posted before the update.

Good-ish update:

I have several Mac's (well, counting my wife's, five: my wife's, a 2010 MBA in the Shop, a 2012 MBP & 2020 M1 MBA in the Office and a 2011 MBA in the Guest Bedroom; oops, forgot a 2012 11" MBA as a dormant/travel machine in the office, so make that six). While my "Workstation" is the 2020 M1 MacBook Air (AKA, MBA), the 2012 MacBook Pro (AKA, MBP) is sitting beside me (and on which I am writing this post) primarily so that I can run my Dymo LabelWriters (yes, @Susquatch , I need more than one for my organizational fetish) and Bluebeam Revu (which although no longer supported will run on Catalina [OS 10.15.xx], but not Sonoma [OS 14.6.xx]).

The MBP is running Safari 15.6.1, and does not read webp format pics, and also doesn't support uploading photos the Forum (even by attaching & inserting), so I will continue this post on the MBA.

Now on MBA:

This is what I see on the MBP
Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 9.42.34 PM.webp

When I click on the "non-image" in Stuart's post, I get this popup
Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 9.42.03 PM.webp

The MBP doesn't even display the final pic in this post, which does display on the MBA.

It appears that the latest forum software update is not backwards compatible with a number of OS's/platforms. Being a Mac user since 1986-ish, I have frequently run into this issue, and it is one reason I have Firefox installed (I refuse to use Chrome). I have learned that even though there are a significant number of non-"PC" systems, i.e., Mac's, in use (statistically more that the percentage of Mercede's, BMW's, Audi's, etc. in comparison to "regular passenger vehicles), developers are not inclined to make their software fully compatible across all platforms (yes, I know that Yuriy has not made a version of TouchDRO that supports iOS, but he has run up against some issues he doesn't want to be bothered with, and he is after all a one person show so I respect that).

I hope that this somewhat rambling post is useful in digging into the issue of Lost Images.

Charlie

Last edited:
From what I can see in some of my older posts is that anything I dragged and dropped onto the text like say this is still there.
1724812158235.webp
Where this one was loaded from attach files and the old postings just show the filename.jpg

Ami-12Weeks.webp

What's also changed is before the photos below the text box that had the trash can and the insert selection now show a long number.webp or the actual file name.webp when what was downloaded was a jpg.

If Macs are having trouble it's likely because of this change in format from jpg to webp.

Edit: Oh and before where downloading the photo as a jpg was possible they are now downloaded as webp. And that downloaded image cannot be loaded by anything other than web browsers which is why your Mac stuff likely isn't working.

So if they revert back to jpg images things will likely be fixed.

From what I can see in some of my older posts is that anything I dragged and dropped onto the text like say this is still there.
View attachment 51103
Where this one was loaded from attach files and the old postings just show the filename.jpg

View attachment 51104

What's also changed is before the photos below the text box that had the trash can and the insert selection now show a long number.webp or the actual file name.webp when what was downloaded was a jpg.

If Macs are having trouble it's likely because of this change in format from jpg to webp.

Edit: Oh and before where downloading the photo as a jpg was possible they are now downloaded as webp. And that downloaded image cannot be loaded by anything other than web browsers which is why your Mac stuff likely isn't working.

So if they revert back to jpg images things will likely be fixed.
Not quite: my newer Mac can read webp, and all pics in this post other than the last image are missing (and all say they are jpeg). All of these images were loaded by using the insert phot tool, but with the exception of the last image they were resized by using the "handle" on the image, much as I did with this copy of Ami (which opens & downloads as webp):

Ami-12Weeks.webp

Screenshot (png) of Ami opened in a new tab (loaded with insert photo toll, not resized):
Screenshot 2024-08-27.webp
And screenshot exported as jpeg (loaded with insert photo tool, not resized):
Screenshot 2024-08-27.webp
Both of the above were "received" as webp, so the software doesn't seem to care what the original format is.

Not quite: my newer Mac can read webp, and all pics in this post other than the last image are missing (and all say they are jpeg). All of these images were loaded by using the insert phot tool, but with the exception of the last image they were resized by using the "handle" on the image, much as I did with this copy of Ami (which opens & downloads as webp):

View attachment 51106

Screenshot (png) of Ami opened in a new tab (loaded with insert photo toll, not resized):
View attachment 51107
And screenshot exported as jpeg (loaded with insert photo tool, not resized):
View attachment 51108
Both of the above were "received" as webp, so the software doesn't seem to care what the original format is.
And I can see the (converted to webp by the forum) pics I just uploaded.

Guys, I know everyone wants to help, but this is one where we just need to let the server guys figure it out.

What we know. - The links to photos after the forum software was updated were broken. The photos are still there but the software can't find them. We don't know why yet.

All photos posted after the update work fine.

This is not an apple/pc thing.

It is possible that embedded photos are ok because they don't use a linked file in a different directory.

I hope that fixing the broken links will fix everything.

But for now, all we can do is wait while the server guys work their way through it and cross our fingers. A few prayers wouldn't hurt.

All photos posted after the update work fine.

This is not an apple/pc thing.

Sorry, but I disagree with both these assertions. See above--ChazzC & I are getting webp format that our older macOS systems don't readily display.

Craig

Sorry, but I disagree with both these assertions. See above--ChazzC & I are getting webp format that our older macOS systems don't readily display.

Craig

I'm sorry too Craig. I don't understand your point.

Back