• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Milling Machine DRO

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How about attaching a laser pointer to the head and point it a wall some distance away. Hang a plumb bob from the ceiling. Align the laser so it illuminates the thin plumb line. Now you should be able to move the head up and down the column and not lose position over your table. This requires the column to be vertical to start with.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How about attaching a laser pointer to the head and point it a wall some distance away. Hang a plumb bob from the ceiling. Align the laser so it illuminates the thin plumb line. Now you should be able to move the head up and down the column and not lose position over your table. This requires the column to be vertical to start with.

Has been discussed already. The target line would have be quite a distance away in order for that to work. Reflecting the beam back and forth numerous times to gain distance was also discussed.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...-round-column-mill-drill-head-alignment.2664/

Last edited:

thriller007

Since this is a dro thread I was wondering if anyone on here with the dro from China has had to reverse the reading from a pos to a neg. The reason I am asking is that when I do bolt hole circles the orientation of the picture on the screen it is backwards on both the x and y compared to the actual part I am working on? There has to be some setting to reverse this. I am trying to find the book but no success thus far.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Since this is a dro thread I was wondering if anyone on here with the dro from China has had to reverse the reading from a pos to a neg. The reason I am asking is that when I do bolt hole circles the orientation of the picture on the screen it is backwards on both the x and y compared to the actual part I am working on? There has to be some setting to reverse this. I am trying to find the book but no success thus far.

I have a YH800-3 as well, the setting is in system settings and labeled DIR, but I don't know if that would affect bolt pattern. Maybe @David_R8 can comment?

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member

This video from DRO Pro's may help

thriller007

This video from DRO Pro's may help

ok that was the trick. I watched that video and the key was to hold the enter button while turning the power on. This was able to get me into the menu. Even though my dro was way different that was all I needed to get into the setup. thanks very much!!

I did rip everything apart to find the manual with no success. Guess I have to find another to print.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Did changing DIR fix your bolt hole circles issue?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have been considering a DRO for a while. One of my scale lengths would be 403 mm. Their scale lengths go from 400 to 450. Would this very slight overshoot cause problems with the scale or do I need to go up size, to 450 mm?

Maybe I am an idiot but having never used AliExpress before, I am confused. I can add the scale package to the cart but cannot see where it asks for scale size. Does some comment box open up after you place the order?

This is the one I am looking at but with the wide price range, not sure how to define the order

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847968410.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5f9d3c00LsEBl9&mp=1

For those that have used AliExpress before, any input for me? I tried the chat function but not having luck with that either. Geez, you would think I am new to online ordering and that ain't so......:rolleyes:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have been considering a DRO for a while. One of my scale lengths would be 403 mm. Their scale lengths go from 400 to 450. Would this very slight overshoot cause problems with the scale or do I need to go up size, to 450 mm?

Maybe I am an idiot but having never used AliExpress before, I am confused. I can add the scale package to the cart but cannot see where it asks for scale size. Does some comment box open up after you place the order?

This is the one I am looking at but with the wide price range, not sure how to define the order

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32847968410.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.5f9d3c00LsEBl9&mp=1

For those that have used AliExpress before, any input for me? I tried the chat function but not having luck with that either. Geez, you would think I am new to online ordering and that ain't so......:rolleyes:

You can do better than that. They want C$ 87.85 for shipping on top of the C$ 294.22. You should be able to land a complete 3-axis unit for $300 cad. Keep looking.

When you place the order there will be a text box for leaving a message to the vendor. That is where you enter your scale lengths.

The scales can be cut down, but for 3mm I'd just go with the 400mm scale. What do you mean by overshoot?

And yes, AliExpress can be a bit confusing at times.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You can do better than that. They want C$ 87.85 for shipping on top of the C$ 294.22. You should be able to land a complete 3-axis unit for $300 cad. Keep looking.

When you place the order there will be a text box for leaving a message to the vendor. That is where you enter your scale lengths.

The scales can be cut down, but for 3mm I'd just go with the 400mm scale. What do you mean by overshoot?

And yes, AliExpress can be a bit confusing at times.

Thanks @YYCHM . I just did not want to have to limit the travel of the table so that I did not crash the end of the scale. Not sure if there is leeway from travel length to actual length but 3 mm is soo small, should not be an issue.

I will keep looking/watching. Maybe things will get back to normal. No rush. I hardly use the mill

thriller007

Remember you can always cut smaller. I made the small mistake of trying to get as short as possible and it worked out but if you have the room I recommend going just a tiny bit larger as there are more mounting options.
one thing to keep in mind is if you need a 400 then you have to consider this from the link you gave us regarding total length.
"We can offer you other styles, contact with us, please. If you order travel length 200mm, 300mm, 500mm, the total length are 340mm, 440mm, 640mm, hoping you can know it, thanks."