• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Product Micro DRO ideal for tiny machines, and embedded cross slide scales

Product

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Does he have any sort of web site/presence? I want to read more about these.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Does he have any sort of web site/presence? I want to read more about these.
No.

And in my communications with him he stated that he is swamped. He is taking orders via an online forum by adding individuals to a wait list as he builds sets one at a time. He is machining brass housings for the pcbs and it is slow process.

I so wanted a set asap but that doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.

I hope he will visit this thread and provide more info, but he hasn't responded to my last emails.

I may just design my own pcb to match the chinese encoder heads. That way I can have plug and play experience... and get just the options I need in terms of connectors etc.

I may just buy one of these and see if it reads well enough using a flat orientation, or perhaps I can just download the spec sheet and see

web.main.55.00.rlb.jpg

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I really like the size, that being said I would prefer to get the tape and roll my own PCB that has regular quadrature output. My ELS has provision for generic quadrature output DROs. Can someone point me towards a source for the magnetic tape?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I really like the size, that being said I would prefer to get the tape and roll my own PCB that has regular quadrature output. My ELS has provision for generic quadrature output DROs. Can someone point me towards a source for the magnetic tape?
Maybe this?
They stipulate that you have to tell them if you want the aluminum extrusion otherwise it's tape and reader only.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
If you will wait a bit I'll see if we can organize a group project to make pcbs with 2 or 3 options for connections

now with tapes you have a choice of pole pitches which impacts both the sensor resolution capability, but just as importantly it dictates the distance the read head can be from the magnetic tape.

the 1 micron systems from china use a 2+2 pole pitch and the read head can be as far as 1 mm from the tape.

I'm going to proceed to make a head that uses standard quadrature and will plug into the touchDRO or the chinese DROs without any required interface.

The beauty of this chip is that it reads from the flat face which should be aligned with the middle of the magnetic tape

1681500024640.png

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
This looks like it might work:

The AS5311 also appears to have quadrature output, so that is one option for a reader, although I will look to see if there is something smaller and less expensive with just quadrature output and without all the extra features.
that is 5mm pitch and provides lower resolution reading

I'm happy to order a large length of tape from Ditron and then part some out to others. with or without pcb based read heads

This is the tape you should get, except it does not come with stainless steel tape as well like the Ditron tape does

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I order PCBs all the time, so if you want help with that side just let me know. I use Altium.
my friend with whom I collaborated on the machining calculator orders pcbs all the time and then populates them with the surface mount components so this should be very easy for him.

The greatest expense will be the encoder chip which costs over $20 retail. If I get enough interest I'd be willing to bulk buy chips to get the price down a fair bit... that would require 50 to 100 chip order.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm all set up for SMT work at home as well. And I'm seeing short runs with 2 day turnarounds at ludicrously low prices now. Why didn't we do this thinking at the start of winter instead of the start of summer?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Yeah, I'm all set up for SMT work at home as well. And I'm seeing short runs with 2 day turnarounds at ludicrously low prices now. Why didn't we do this thinking at the start of winter instead of the start of summer?
You dont know what you dont know....

But the saying is, there is no time like the present.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Okay, I dont need anyone's pcb manufacturing services just yet, because I found the chip is available on a pcb development board for testing purposes. That pcb is huge in comparison to the final size I hope to make but at least i can get testing with less than a $25 expenditure.

1681518300058.png

1681518389926.png

Oh and I just figured out that I was assuming 4 pin output, but I am pretty sure I need 9 because the chinese read heads use all 9 pins

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Oh and I just figured out that I was assuming 4 pin output, but I am pretty sure I need 9 because the chinese read heads use all 9 pins

I seem to recall that not all db9 pins are used. But for compatibility, it's prolly best to use the same pinout as the Chinese DROs.

I only skimmed the datasheet, but it looks like not all 14 pins need to be used.

I certainly agree that being able to put a compact read head inside the cross-slide (and even inside the compound) is a terrific advantage - perhaps even as ground breaking as putting the tape in there.....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I seem to recall that not all db9 pins are used. But for compatibility, it's prolly best to use the same pinout as the Chinese DROs.

I only skimmed the datasheet, but it looks like not all 14 pins need to be used.

I certainly agree that being able to put a compact read head inside the cross-slide (and even inside the compound) is a terrific advantage - perhaps even as ground breaking as putting the tape in there.....
the chinese read head pin out

1681521661493.png