Product Micro DRO ideal for tiny machines, and embedded cross slide scales

Product

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
So I have just found out about a person, Nicholas Bull, who developed his own micro linear encoders and a DRO controller that pairs with an ordinary android tablet or phone that has the TouchDRO app installed on it.

Nick's target market is the European micro lathe market, such as the Schaublin 102, but the size of the encoder hears make them ideal for anyone wanting to use magnetic tape embedded on the underside of the cross slide.

What I find most interesting / exciting about Nick's system are the micro magnetic read heads, and that he designed his controller to use the existing TouchDRO app so users can see reduced cost to install encoders on multiple machines.

According to Nick, size was the driving factor in the development of his DRO system and he went through a few iterations of encoder heads before arriving at the current design. Nick's encoder head is based on a 14x8 mm pcb, with an OSRAM AS5311 High-Resolution Magnetic Linear Encoder. The pcb has 4mm radiused corners, and can sit in a slot/pocket cut with an 8mm end mill. The connector is tangential with one end of the slot and is 5mm in diameter. The encoders are a/b quadratic incremental and run on 3.3v, and they've been designed to read 1mm pole pitch magnetic tape.

In contrast to the 14x8 mm pcb encoder the traditional chinese magnetic encoder head is a whopping 34x24 mm. The wire on the chinese encoder protrudes straight outwards requiring even more space, while the microDRO head can use an angled plug that points 90 degrees downward.

A custom CPU was required to translates the pitch / pulses received by the quadratic encoder from the magnetic tape and converts them into an absolute position to be sent to the TouchDRO software. The controller sends new data with every move of the encoder head.

Imagine this tiny pcb mounted to read a magnetic strip on the underside of the cross slide. The pcb would project less than 20 mm from the back of the cross slide, and in my case I'd 3D print a mount and encapsulate the pcb in resin to bond it to the mount. The only issue I see for my lathe is that I already ordered heads and tape with a different pitch.

encoder 2.jpg

so many mounting options are possible with this pcb.

encoder 3.jpg

So do I order this for my swiss mill, or put the other chinese magnetic scales on my mill and use this microDRO for my Chipmaster lathe? Either way I plan to order a 3 axis kit to check this out.

Nick says a set for a 2 axis Schaublin 102 lathe with complete read heads with brass brackets, cpu with cables and magnetic tape is going to be under £300. Without the brass brackets it will be under £250. He states that the CPU with wires is the expensive bit, at £100, while each read head pcb is £35. He could cut the price further if you want to source wires and connectors locally.

Nicholas is UK based, so shipping and conversions will apply. I'd be interested in organizing group buy if there is interest from others.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting option.
(pictures aren't loading for me... not sure if they will for others)

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You should be able to see how these will work much better when the magnetic scale is embedded in a slot in the bottom of the slides. With smaller thin 3d printed housing

encoder 4.jpg

It would also be possible to obtain the bare pcb without the connector, and then solder directly to the pcb and use a small 90 degree strain relief or epoxy encapsulation to retain the wire and have very little projection.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So I have just found out about a person, Nicholas Bull, who developed his own micro linear encoders and a DRO controller that pairs with an ordinary android tablet or phone that has the TouchDRO app installed on it.

I think size is perhaps the biggest issue one faces when installing a DRO. I'm reasonably happy with my plan to embed the sensor and tape in my cross slide but I have not actually done it yet. I've only explored the options and have a design that I believe will work.

I think your discovery will provide better options for everyone regardless of how big their machines are.

Great find! Please keep us all posted.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm on the wait list for a 3 axis kit but I wish I could get this kit immediately because I'd like to modify my existing plans in light of this new to me information.

To recap what my current DRO plans were, I have two DROs from Ditron that are based around the D80 computers. One is a magnetic scale 4 axis plus rpm system for the Bridgeport mill. This will proceed as planned.

The other is a glass scale 2 axis plus rpm system that was to go on 12 x 36 lathe, but is now slated to install on the Colchester Master 2500. The glass scale for the cross slide X axis is too short, and too bulky to serve us well on this lathe. This resulted in my ordering a 1 micron read head and 2+2 pitch magnetic tape to embed under the cross slide for the x axis. This was also purchased from Ditron and is 100% compatible with the D80 computer.

So, having decided to purchase one read head and tape, it became easier and cheaper to negotiate a better deal for 2 more heads and tape to use on my own Colchester Chipmaster. I was going to pair this with the TouchDRO module and an old Tablet with the touchDRO app installed. The only issue is that the chinese read heads are still bulky, and I want to have my lathe free from impediments so I'd really really like to install the Micro read heads on my lathe if I can get them fairly soon.

If I can get a microDRO kit quickly it will go on the Chipmaster lathe, and I'll have one spare read head. If that is the case my swiss mill will get two Chinese magnetic encoders and one glass encoder, and pair with an official touchDRO controller. Assuming the TouchDRO lets you mix and match scales like the D80 does.

According to Fedex tracking my package of Chinese source encoder heads and magnetic tapes is out for delivery and will arrive today. The only certainty at this time is that one new read head will go on the cross slide of brother's Colchester Master 2500 and connect to Sino D80 computer.

I will update this thread again when I obtain further information on the microDRO system

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Watching closely for potential DRO option for whatever I end up with.

You may be interested in this comment from Nicholas Bull:

"It has always been my intention from the outset for this to be as easy to adapt to any machine as possible and would love to see what people come up with, discuss what they need and the best way to develop it... What machines are you all running? Of course if you wanted to put together a bulk order I could do that, eta would depend on what level of machining was required on my end, ie what you would like would be much quicker, I have the pcbs so it sourcing components."

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You may be interested in this comment from Nicholas Bull:

"It has always been my intention from the outset for this to be as easy to adapt to any machine as possible and would love to see what people come up with, discuss what they need and the best way to develop it... What machines are you all running? Of course if you wanted to put together a bulk order I could do that, eta would depend on what level of machining was required on my end, ie what you would like would be much quicker, I have the pcbs so it sourcing components."
Sounds like he's keen to work with folks like us, that's very encouraging.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Sounds like he's keen to work with folks like us, that's very encouraging.
Yes it is. I believe it is because Nick did not envision getting into the DRO sales business. I think he had a personal need, and decided to make a DRO to suit that need and then extend an offer to a small group of lathe users. Now he may have found more demand than he knows what to do with. Or I could be way off base :p

And I am very keen to help him to best serve our community. I love his product. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

I expect from what I've read in the Schaublin group that his time is limited, and his development has taken a long time. He is making kits for high end lathes using milled brass fittings, doing great work, but that just makes it more difficult for him to meet demand unless he changes his delivery model a bit. I'm hoping we can help him with that.

I mean I think most people here would like to make their own mounts, and many would likely prefer to directly solder the wire to the pcb rather than use a bulky connector of any type. So that would remove much of his time consuming work.

I've been considering buying one of the small lathes (ML10 or maximat7) I saw for sale recently... I'd definitely want this DRO system on them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes it is. I believe it is because Nick did not envision getting into the DRO sales business. I think he had a personal need, and decided to make a DRO to suit that need and then extend an offer to a small group of lathe users. Now he may have found more demand than he knows what to do with. Or I could be way off base :p

And I am very keen to help him to best serve our community. I love his product. I wish I'd seen it sooner.

I expect from what I've read in the Schaublin group that his time is limited, and his development has taken a long time. He is making kits for high end lathes using milled brass fittings, doing great work, but that just makes it more difficult for him to meet demand unless he changes his delivery model a bit. I'm hoping we can help him with that.

I mean I think most people here would like to make their own mounts, and many would likely prefer to directly solder the wire to the pcb rather than use a bulky connector of any type. So that would remove much of his time consuming work.

I've been considering buying one of the small lathes (ML10 or maximat7) I saw for sale recently... I'd definitely want this DRO system on them.
If I end up with the Clausing I'll be putting a DRO on it for sure.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Going to see it Friday morning. The seller is a friend and he's not actively selling it. He also has a minty RF45 that I may try and weasel out of him.
Ah, I was not aware that it was a friend selling it. That's always preferable for a sale... I hope you get the mill/drill too. Then you will need another DRO.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

That certainly describes me. I didn't use even one part of my entire install Kit. I designed and milled all my mounting hardware from bar stock. I don't really care for the armoured cables either. I would have MUCH preferred to make my own cables based on soldered connections at the correct angles. Adapting cable reliefs to handle odd angles was not ideal.

Odd as it might sound, I would have happily paid MORE for the privilege of making my own parts.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That certainly describes me. I didn't use even one part of my entire install Kit. I designed and milled all my mounting hardware from bar stock. I don't really care for the armoured cables either. I would have MUCH preferred to make my own cables based on soldered connections at the correct angles. Adapting cable reliefs to handle odd angles was not ideal.

Odd as it might sound, I would have happily paid MORE for the privilege of making my own parts.
Being poor, I'd not have happily paid more, but I'd have preferred to be able to buy raw sensor, and sourced my own materials for mounts and wiring etc.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Being poor, I'd not have happily paid more, but I'd have preferred to be able to buy raw sensor, and sourced my own materials for mounts and wiring etc.

I was mostly joking! Who really wants to pay more for less. But I definitely prefer to do my own cabling, and the mounting hardware I did get is now parts for parts!