Product Micro DRO ideal for tiny machines, and embedded cross slide scales

Product

Nicholas Bull

I already have enough in my Mouser Shopping basket to get free shipping so I think I might just order one of these to play with.
At $21.74 it's not that expensive. If anyone on the island wants one let me know. Also in the next week or so I will be travelling to the mainland; Coquitlam to be specific.
Then I just need to order some magnetic tape I guess. I have two of these in box #42.
The as5311 should work with that dro, connect the 5v, gnd, a and b signals, set your dro to 5v using the jumper (page 5 of the hardware manual). You could try it with different pole length tape and it will give you some readings but I doubt you’ll be able to get good results from this.

Nicholas Bull

See if you can find the siko mb100/1 tape, German made and comes in 2 accuracy grades, 8um and 30um and 2 widths 5 and 10mm also if you look at the osram/as website they mention a few recommended tape manufacturers (dexter springs to mind) just really hard for me to get this side of the pond as they are US companies.
If you can find anyone over there that sells the low end siko dro system they will also have the tape,
Hope this helps!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
See if you can find the siko mb100/1 tape, German made and comes in 2 accuracy grades, 8um and 30um and 2 widths 5 and 10mm also if you look at the osram/as website they mention a few recommended tape manufacturers (dexter springs to mind) just really hard for me to get this side of the pond as they are US companies.
If you can find anyone over there that sells the low end siko dro system they will also have the tape,
Hope this helps!

I've been in touch with Siko USA, and we can buy direct from them.

I'll be ordering some from them for testing purposes. I'd be happy to tack enough for someone else if they were interested in obtaining some as well.

I'm planning on ordering the following product. Not yet sure how many 4 meter lengths I'll order

MB100/1-4-5-8-VA-TM-AM-O

MB100/1 = magnetic tape base code

Length = 4, length required in meters, range can be from 000.10 ... 100.00 m, in intervals of 0.1 m

Width = 5, width required in mm, 5 mm or 10mm

Accuracy Class = 8 µm, 8 µm or 20 µm, with 8 µm deliverable length max. 4.0 m

Material carrier tape = VA, St for steel or VA for stainless steel

Adhesive carrier tape = TM, TM for with, TO for without

Cover strip = AM, AM for with, AO for without

Reference point = O, O for without, E for non-recurrent or P for Periodic, E & P only available with 10 mm width tape

Reference point position = N/A, choice of 0.02, 0.06, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.42, 0.5 in m, indicate only if reference point E or P is chosen, ≤4.0 m

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've been in touch with Siko USA, and we can buy direct from them.

I'll be ordering some from them for testing purposes. I'd be happy to tack enough for someone else if they were interested in obtaining some as well.

I'm planning on ordering the following product. Not yet sure how many 4 meter lengths I'll order

MB100/1-4-5-8-VA-TM-AM-O

MB100/1 = magnetic tape base code

Length = 4, length required in meters, range can be from 000.10 ... 100.00 m, in intervals of 0.1 m

Width = 5, width required in mm, 5 mm or 10mm

Accuracy Class = 8 µm, 8 µm or 20 µm, with 8 µm deliverable length max. 4.0 m

Material carrier tape = VA, St for steel or VA for stainless steel

Adhesive carrier tape = TM, TM for with, TO for without

Cover strip = AM, AM for with, AO for without

Reference point = O, O for without, E for non-recurrent or P for Periodic, E & P only available with 10 mm width tape

Reference point position = N/A, choice of 0.02, 0.06, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.42, 0.5 in m, indicate only if reference point E or P is chosen, ≤4.0 m
What's the price on their mag tape?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I wont be testing any Siko magnetic tapes for two reasons, both of which are deal killers in my mind.

Reason 1 is cost, for either resolution it is a non-starter.

MB100/1-0100 – 8um scale : $199.44/per meter (797.76 for 4m)

MB100/1-0101 – 20um scale: $137.36/per meter (549.44 for 4m)

Reason 2, neither tape is reliably available therefore is unsuitable to develop a project around.

As per Siko's product manager for the MagLine:

"The high precision MB100/1 with stainless carrier has a lead time around 8-16 weeks ARO right now. This band is made on a special machine and granite block set up that has been booked for the past 6 months and is currently booked for the balance of 2023 and into 2024. We are squeezing in small order runs whenever possible but we really don’t know when those break points will happen. As an alternative I do have 2 meters of the 20 micron accuracy class and can get more of that in 4-5 weeks typically if that is of interest."

Back to my Asian source

Nicholas Bull

I wont be testing any Siko magnetic tapes for two reasons, both of which are deal killers in my mind.

Reason 1 is cost, for either resolution it is a non-starter.

MB100/1-0100 – 8um scale : $199.44/per meter (797.76 for 4m)

MB100/1-0101 – 20um scale: $137.36/per meter (549.44 for 4m)

Reason 2, neither tape is reliably available therefore is unsuitable to develop a project around.

As per Siko's product manager for the MagLine:

"The high precision MB100/1 with stainless carrier has a lead time around 8-16 weeks ARO right now. This band is made on a special machine and granite block set up that has been booked for the past 6 months and is currently booked for the balance of 2023 and into 2024. We are squeezing in small order runs whenever possible but we really don’t know when those break points will happen. As an alternative I do have 2 meters of the 20 micron accuracy class and can get more of that in 4-5 weeks typically if that is of interest."

Back to my Asian source
I feel your pain, I got a quote for the siko tape that came to just under £200 per meter, so even higher.
I’m waiting to hear back from a dealer for bogen magnetic who also do a similar product, it can even be got from Digi-Key! https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bogen-magnetics-gmbh/00051369/14112227