JCDammeyer's 42 projects

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I found I'd already done this model a few years ago. I added the clearance holes based on the dimensions from the front plate drawing.

1704681060728.png
The 0.125" up cut router bit didn't do the best job on the holes this time. Maybe it's dull. I used this 0.125" in a hand drill to clean them out.
1704682101072.png

If I make that metal jig for the mill then I can ensure the vise jaws are parallel to the X axis. Then indicate off the bottom left end and side for X,Y==0,0. Then use a 3.5mm mill (0.138") which will make the light pipes a bit less of a tight fit.

So far all simple enough. But the large toggle clamp used on the CNC router isn't really suitable there. Maybe some sort of tabs that pivot on those two holes to hold the plate in place?

Looking for suggestions.

cjmac

I found I'd already done this model a few years ago. I added the clearance holes based on the dimensions from the front plate drawing.

View attachment 42650
The 0.125" up cut router bit didn't do the best job on the holes this time. Maybe it's dull. I used this 0.125" in a hand drill to clean them out.
View attachment 42651

If I make that metal jig for the mill then I can ensure the vise jaws are parallel to the X axis. Then indicate off the bottom left end and side for X,Y==0,0. Then use a 3.5mm mill (0.138") which will make the light pipes a bit less of a tight fit.

So far all simple enough. But the large toggle clamp used on the CNC router isn't really suitable there. Maybe some sort of tabs that pivot on those two holes to hold the plate in place?

Looking for suggestions.
What about a hinged cover with a cutout where you need access to the work piece. I'm thinking something along the lines of a CPU socket lid. Drop in your work piece and flip the lid over to hold it in place. You would need to figure out an easy to implement clip to hold the lid down.

Chris

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
What I've come up with as an idea is a sliding cover pushed open by compression springs. Before the drilling operation something pushes the cover closed with the two tabs covering the inserted plastic piece to hold it down.
SlidingCover-RHS.jpg

When open there's space to insert the plastic blank.

SlidingCover-TopOpen.jpg

Slide the cover closed and the tabs on the end hold the blank in place during the drilling/retract operation.

SlidingCover-TopClosed.jpg

Anyway. It's an idea.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here's the back of the metal plate and the recess for the return springs.
SpringGuideHoles-1.jpg
To add to that, to show what Alibre Expert can do, is the sheet metal part can be flattened. It's current design spec is 1mm, aluminum with a K factor of 0.33, Even so aluminum has grain and it bends differently depending on which direction. In either case, if everything works the spring pin guide holes should be in the right position and line up with the guide holes in the block.

The 52.65mm point is where my brake would do the bend. It's been a few years but it actually works.
CoverFlattened.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here's the full drawing. Looks like I have to use my Hand Nibbler to cut the hole or write some custom G-Code to mill it out. Never realized until now that there is no link from Alibre AD_SMP (Sheet Metal Parts) to MecSoft's AlibreCAM.

I have some 18g 6061 (1.024 mm) on hand so I may just take a stab at making this. So far it's still just been an exercise.

But a bit more thinking... Inside the sheet metal part drawing first use the flatten tool like it's represented in the ClampDrawing.pdf. Then export as STP file. Then import the STP file into the 3D parametric drawing tool and link into AlibreCAM. Set up for 3mm tool bit. And bingo I can mill a hole.

ClampMillingHole.jpg

Attachments

• ClampDrawing.pdf
    114.8 KB · Views: 2

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I started off this thread this year with the news of losing our son Misha. That first photo at the start of this thread was with Dixie our adopted Stabyhoun. When 7 year old Dixie took up residence our 3 year old Stabyhoun, Anja, was none to happy but eventually they tolerated each other and when Dixie was gone we saw a change in Anja's behavior. She really did miss that nut case.

Well Anja of course also tormented us in all sorts of ways. Today she took her last breath at the VCA hospital. The lymphoma had reached the point where she wouldn't eat and stopped drinking water. She was in a lot of pain and could barely walk.

But we were so happy to have her in our lives for 13 and 1/2 years. She and Misha were also buddies and we're pretty sure the smell of the his stuff all around the house also impacted her.
1713307385983.jpeg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Tragic John. My heart goes out to you and your family. That's a lot of loss to deal with in a short amount of time. Please reach out if you need to.

Nothing can replace your Son, that's unimaginable, but the reason animals lives are much shorter than ours is we were meant to have many of them over the course our lives. They're all different and enrich our lives in different ways. The time will be right again at some point. All the best.

trevj

Ultra Member
Jeebus, John, I have said my bit about the loss of your son, in the past, and will stand by the opinion that Fenanyl dealers ought be force fed their entire stock when caught. They are not people. Not ones worth keeping.

At the loss of your fine companion Anja, I have but this to say. The price of their joyous company, is that we shall also see them pass. We give them the best we can, and they live too short lives! Be thankful for their good, and don't begrudge another along the line, the chance to be as happy!

Respectfully, Cheers.
Trev