• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Is Taper Attachment worth it?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
TTA arrived. It's a beast! Guessing altogether it weighs 85 pounds!

No problems with UPS....... this time......

The kit replaces the leade screw and cross-slide handle wheel for my cross-slide so that the leade screw anchor is at the rear in the taper attachment at the rear of the saddle instead of at the front of the saddle. So when you dial in some cross-slide movement, it's all relative to the rear taper position instead of the saddle.

Trouble is that the taper attachment was made in China, and it looks it. My lathe was made in Taiwan so I just assumed that the TA would be made in Taiwan too. You know what they say about assume.......

The Castings have voids and there are dings in the ways. There are some machining marks on the taper ways too.

Most of the scales are loose, or bent, or damaged.

The taper adjustment screw system is sticky and jams. The thumb wheel should be 4x the size. Not sure what I'll do with this just yet. I like smooth adjustments so it can't stay like it is.

Some of the damage might be shipping. Lotta big parts loose in the same wooden box.

After I do an inventory, I'll reach out to Grizzly to see what they want to do.

@kevin.decelles - see the photos of the way clamp. It's not good as is either, but I can easily see how to make it much better. BTW, this is not a used part. It's brand spanking new.....

20240626_132913.jpg

The casting pore on the surface could be machined away but it shouldn't affect function as is. The deliberate broken edge is also an eyesore and the ledge is a mm too wide. I think I'll machine the whole end off and replace it with a piece of screwed on plate to take up the clearance and look better too.

20240626_133119.jpg

The pin that holds the stay bar is actually too loose and would generate a few thou of backlash in the taper system. I'll prolly make a new pin with a better fit. It's that or redesign the whole way stop

Also in the photo is the bottom clamp that fits under the rear way.

When all assembled and tightened, it doesn't get tight enough to hold anything.

20240626_133923.jpg

Here is the rest of the TA minus the stay rod.

20240626_141118.jpg

The large block attaches to the back of the saddle and anchors the end of the new leade screw inside it.

Here is a photo of the taper adjustment knob, screw, and block. Not satisfying at all. Binds, sticks, and jumps. At a minimum it needs a knob 4x as big. But a better block system would be desirable too.

20240626_180418.jpg

In practice, it is adjusted and then locked down in 3 places with machine screws.

I'd love to be playing with the TA some more, but it's raining and my fur stinks when it gets wet so maybe tomorrow.

Questions and suggestions are welcome.

I have been staring at these pictures for at least 5 minutes....... I have no words. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but I am not sure if I would be up to that much repair work without a pretty hefty discount.....
I have an new unused one in my tickle trunk that has been bounced from place to place for about ten years in the shop, and it appears to be a little less beat up than that one. Pretty sad, it really wouldn't have taken much more effort and cost in the beginning to make a quality product out of it.....

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Everything looks almost identical to mine. I agree with all your assessments but I think your estimate on backlash is too optimistic . I’ll be revisiting mine in a few months and I’ll be rethinking the design with rigidity being priority one.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Everything looks almost identical to mine. I agree with all your assessments but I think your estimate on backlash is too optimistic . I’ll be revisiting mine in a few months and I’ll be rethinking the design with rigidity being priority one.

Could be. I'm thinking about ways to improve it already.

But first I need to talk to Grizzly.

Janger

(John)
Vendor
Premium Member
@Susquatch that is the same crappy thing which comes with the C602A modern lathe. All the parts are very similar. I wish I had known it was the same - I'd have sent you mine if you were prepared to rebuild it. I was expecting that dial to somehow set the taper angle. I think an ELS is a much better answer. If I could ever finish my ELS install project - I think it's slipped to project 43.

If you can return yours I will ship you mine for whatever the shipping is. Maybe the pony express is coming to Calgary? @Chicken lights ?

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch that is the same crappy thing which comes with the C602A modern lathe. All the parts are very similar. I wish I had known it was the same - I'd have sent you mine if you were prepared to rebuild it. I was expecting that dial to somehow set the taper angle. I think an ELS is a much better answer. If I could ever finish my ELS install project - I think it's slipped to project 43.

If you can return yours I will ship you mine for whatever the shipping is. Maybe the pony express is coming to Calgary?

That's a very kind offer John.

I am planning to talk to them on Tuesday. Since I bought it from the USA, a return might not be possible or at least not financially viable. Let's wait and see what evolves.

FWIW, when I first saw the dial, that's what I thought too. When I look at the crappy system it does use, it screams for something bigger and more precise. Maybe in time it might actually happen.