• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

In the shop today

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Well i figure i need a spot for the projects that dont require a dedicated write up. Ill start with this modified quad/dirtbike front brake ... um ... mount, its for a volt meter on one of my motorbikes image.jpg

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Also today i faced up my BPC wheels but need to center the center holes and find a suitable axle. image.jpg
I also made up the plug and mounted it in the lathe to see if i could turn this size of material and i can although the steady is to small to use image.jpg this will be welded as solid as i can manage on a roller i have yet to build image.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Is that some of the 4140 stock you guys got last year?
What does 'BPC' refer to?

never mind, I get it, saw your other post

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
This appears to be a non legal document outlining requirements for battle reenactments. Not sure of the relevence.

Annealing sounds like a good enough reason to build the foundry expansion chamber i had planned though

GrayTech

Not sure welding is the best method for a breach plug. I would look into a threaded plug. It needs to be much thicker too.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I believe cannons are treated as antiques even if they are reproductions. Same goes for flintlocks, but amuzzle loading percussion cap gun has to be an original. I don’t think there are any restrictions on importing antique guns but I’ve never did it.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
There’s a black powder Brit army shoot in Bowden late June. It doesn’t appear that there will ba any cannon though.
I have made contact with a fellow from Medicine Hat that’s involved in Riel Rebellion re-enactment. They have a ½ scale 9 pounder that they shoot. So far they don’t have any schedule for 2018.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
As this is my general shop thread, today i start a new lantern tool post. I need one to hold my smaller boring/threading bar. Now before anyone gets into suggesting i buy a QCTP .... im broke, and i like the lantern style (yes i have used QCTP) added bonus i already have a piece of metal i can use. image.jpg

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
first a rough size round is cut so i can face in the lathe to dimension, i will also drill the post hole at this time before i square it up rough on the band saw so it will fit in my mill for final sizing image.jpg .... 30 minutes later i realize im hardly cutting and needed to add a few more shoes image.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Keep the pictures of your project coming as it progresses! Is that 4140 you're cutting?

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
lines scribed, clearances checked and on we go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
One of my first projects when I got my lathe was a Williams type holder, much like this one. It handles 3 different sizes of bars and works quite well.

Attachments

• 27853F73-6D8D-4D48-AC35-DDE6E53AAA76.jpeg
    27853F73-6D8D-4D48-AC35-DDE6E53AAA76.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Did someone mention BPC as in Black Powder Cannon? What caliber, how big we talking?

Member historicalarms has lots of experience with the big ones.