• Meetup Saturday January 12/2019 at Modern Tool. We are planning to have CNC Demos and possibly more on manual equipment. Modern will have hobby sized machines on display and for sale. There will be a nice door prize. Open to all members. More details TBA.
  • Guest, Help us understand what we can do better in future. Click Here!

In the shop today

Yes it is some of my 4”od 4140
Just for interest sake... I just cut some of my 5" 4340 (the stuff with a hole in it) on my band saw and they took 12 minutes for a slice. I was happy with that. (Asian 7x12 saw).

Your project looks like it will turn out well, it's almost as fun watching the pictures as doing something myself!

Bofobo

Premium Member
Ive got the locating slot milled image.jpg
Now ill put it in place on the lathe and drill the 1/2” hole for the bar image.jpg before i bring it back to the mill for drilling and tapping the securing screw holes

Just saw the latest part of this thread about the tool post - no need to spend money on a QCTP if you have metal sitting around anyway. It's not a step backwards if it fits your needs and budget. I have a piston QCTP that came with my lathe and it's not rigid enough for serious parting so I made a turret for it and it's nice and solid. That tool holder you're making will be VERY rigid and should serve you well!