• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Machine I hate my change gears!

Machine
I realize this thread is 4 years old…. But I wanted to add some info that “may” be helpful to the OP, or any other CX 701 owners….

I was looking for any way to improve the change-gear process on the lathe - I noticed that Precision Matthews changed the design of the change gear axles on the PM 1130 (1127 was very similar to the CX 701 - other than chuck attachment…motor?)

Since I wanted to get a couple of spare keyed bushings (apparently more of a sacrificial item than the brass pins in the lead/feed screw coupler) I found PM was the easiest place to order from - and I thought I’d see if I could change over the axles as well. Instead of the clip, they use a threaded axle with a castellated nut/lock screw that allows the end float on the gears to be set a bit tighter…

I changed over my axles (was concerned about pulley clearance but seems good) - this seems to allow a bit easier change over…. PM Manual Link

Attached pictures of the new set up:

Cheers!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0603.jpeg
    IMG_0603.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
21st century answer - @jcdammeyer 's ELS solves a multitude of threading problems. I haven't touched a change gear in a couple of years, and single-point threading is no longer a "F-it, I'll find another way" concern. You won't regret setting up an ELS.

19th century answer - my big-ole 1899 Little Giant die set has real adjustable dies. For big threads over 1/2" NC, I adjust the dies so it just kisses the bar stock, and take multiple passes while tightening down the dies between passes. Perfect threads, no sore arms, just takes a bit more time. Major downside is you can't thread up to a shoulder.

s-l1200.jpg
s-l400.png
 
21st century answer - @jcdammeyer 's ELS solves a multitude of threading problems. I haven't touched a change gear in a couple of years, and single-point threading is no longer a "F-it, I'll find another way" concern. You won't regret setting up an ELS.
I SO want to donthis to my little CX700. I am just not quite there at financially (I don't even really know the cost) and worried about my lack of skills in programming/retrofitting/electronic know how.
 
I SO want to donthis to my little CX700. I am just not quite there at financially (I don't even really know the cost) and worried about my lack of skills in programming/retrofitting/electronic know how.
My experience was relatively painless. John's ELS board doesn't need any programming. plug-n-play. Wiring from ELS board to stepper driver is pretty straightforward. The only component that took much fiddling was making up a faceplate for the electronics enclosure. On my BB B2227L lathe, the custom bits were adding an IR LED spindle sensor and making up the drive belt from the stepper motor to the lead screw.
 
My experience was relatively painless. John's ELS board doesn't need any programming. plug-n-play. Wiring from ELS board to stepper driver is pretty straightforward. The only component that took much fiddling was making up a faceplate for the electronics enclosure. On my BB B2227L lathe, the custom bits were adding an IR LED spindle sensor and making up the drive belt from the stepper motor to the lead screw.
Ill have to start dreaming about it again maybe. I sure like the idea!
 
Nice old thread (pun intended) I realize that everyone is different but my take on shop time is that the job is about the journey as much as the destination. I have recently made a m14 1.5 internal thread on my 100% Imperial 9 inch soutbend model c that was a journey.
Gary
 
Nice old thread (pun intended) I realize that everyone is different but my take on shop time is that the job is about the journey as much as the destination. I have recently made a m14 1.5 internal thread on my 100% Imperial 9 inch soutbend model c that was a journey.
Gary

Me too!

I get that most guys don't like changing gears. I'm not a member of that clan. I personally look forward to it! Hey, this thread requires a gear change! Woooo Hoooo!

I love manual machining. It's a work of love. Every crank of the handle, every swap of gears, every cut is a labour of love. I want the machine to be an extension of me. To feel the cut in my hands, and hear it in my ears.

Life isn't a destination for me. It's a journey full of personal interactions. Just me, my machines, and the joy of creating a part I saw hidden inside a piece of metal.

But I also love manual transmissions. So there is that too.....
 
Me too!

I get that most guys don't like changing gears. I'm not a member of that clan. I personally look forward to it! Hey, this thread requires a gear change! Woooo Hoooo!

I love manual machining. It's a work of love. Every crank of the handle, every swap of gears, every cut is a labour of love. I want the machine to be an extension of me. To feel the cut in my hands, and hear it in my ears.

Life isn't a destination for me. It's a journey full of personal interactions. Just me, my machines, and the joy of creating a part I saw hidden inside a piece of metal.

But I also love manual transmissions. So there is that too.....
I agree with every part of this sentiment,
except the part about change gears.
 
My only real frustration with change gears so far is that for one piece I usually end up changing at least twice. But I do have a good system now.
 
It’s not changing gears that annoys me. When single-point threading, I just can’t seem to get my brain around getting and keeping the cutter aligned with the cut. So most attempts to use the thread dial end up in disaster. The ELS solves the problem.
 
Back
Top