• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques HOUSE OF TOOLS LD 1236G

Tips/Techniques

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@MooseMeat Welcome to the forum!

I bought mine in 1981 from Busy Bee, new. There is another one of these in Nanaimo with another former Albertan...

I have the Busy Bee manual somewhere, but I found this Rex-Cut manual to be helpful as well...

Attachments

• DF-1237G.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 7

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
hey,
just north of Nanaimo, I have been looking for a lathe for many years now and am able to finally afford one. I don't have the skill and knowledge to do much and I have an ambition to build myself a nice centre pin reel or three, as well as to modify/repair some of my older ones.

@eotrfish makes drop dead gorgeous reels. He can probably give you some excellent advice.

Edit - I see @140mower beat me to it and already gave you that advice. So let me 2nd that.

MooseMeat

Welcome. Great lathe to have as a first lathe. I had the King Canada version of it and wish I could have one again. Your lathe in the pictures looks like it is in very nice shape?
It's a beauty, the owner is a retired machinist who built logging equipment and machines here in BC. just a super fella. He had a ton of tooling as well that came with the lathe, now I just have to work on learning.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey@MooseMeat! Welcome from Campbell River! If I’m reading the thread correctly, you are north of Nanaimo? I’ve DMd you.

Edit: for some reason I can’t address a DM to you. Maybe you’re too new in the system?

I’m willing to get together and go through a few things with you if you are interested. I’m not an expert by any means, but I’ve made a lot of chips in the last three years.

Anyway, the offer is there. DM me if you’re interested.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Edit: for some reason I can’t address a DM to you. Maybe you’re too new in the system?

No reason that should be Tom. New users can create and receive PMs. I had no trouble using my regular membership username (not premium or moderator). Please try again using different methods.

MooseMeat

Well, the "machine is in its final resting place, a few tidy ups and new power source is first in order. I have posted a couple of pics below, Q. is there a cutter shape guide chart on what the different cutters are used for, there are over 500 cutters of different shapes, sizes, profiles, and colours, I don't know where to start, google I guess....

ps.
and yes I seem to have all these cutter profiles

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 35f8ea2bb2d9fe8f0a096d650f7a8d8b.jpg
    35f8ea2bb2d9fe8f0a096d650f7a8d8b.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Very nice...... Do you have a milling machine as well? I see you got a lot of end mills in the batch. If you don't, a milling attachment for your lathe, and a little bit of patience and you can do a lot with a little....
Of course, most of us will point out that since you already have a bunch of mill tooling..........:rolleyes:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking good! my only suggestion would be too move the lathe out from the wall on the tailstock end to allow easier install/remove of the tailstock .
As far as inserts maybe post a picture of the lathe tools you have maybe give a better idea of what will be most commonly used but this is a start the tool is sometimes task specific but the inserts' can be the same or different.
A QCTP maybe something you want to look at if you get tired of swapping in tools into the 4 way post.