Tips/Techniques HOUSE OF TOOLS LD 1236G

Tips/Techniques

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@MooseMeat Welcome to the forum!

I bought mine in 1981 from Busy Bee, new. There is another one of these in Nanaimo with another former Albertan...

I have the Busy Bee manual somewhere, but I found this Rex-Cut manual to be helpful as well...

Attachments

• DF-1237G.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 7

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
hey,
just north of Nanaimo, I have been looking for a lathe for many years now and am able to finally afford one. I don't have the skill and knowledge to do much and I have an ambition to build myself a nice centre pin reel or three, as well as to modify/repair some of my older ones.

@eotrfish makes drop dead gorgeous reels. He can probably give you some excellent advice.

Edit - I see @140mower beat me to it and already gave you that advice. So let me 2nd that.

MooseMeat

Welcome. Great lathe to have as a first lathe. I had the King Canada version of it and wish I could have one again. Your lathe in the pictures looks like it is in very nice shape?
It's a beauty, the owner is a retired machinist who built logging equipment and machines here in BC. just a super fella. He had a ton of tooling as well that came with the lathe, now I just have to work on learning.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey@MooseMeat! Welcome from Campbell River! If I’m reading the thread correctly, you are north of Nanaimo? I’ve DMd you.

Edit: for some reason I can’t address a DM to you. Maybe you’re too new in the system?

I’m willing to get together and go through a few things with you if you are interested. I’m not an expert by any means, but I’ve made a lot of chips in the last three years.

Anyway, the offer is there. DM me if you’re interested.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Edit: for some reason I can’t address a DM to you. Maybe you’re too new in the system?

No reason that should be Tom. New users can create and receive PMs. I had no trouble using my regular membership username (not premium or moderator). Please try again using different methods.

MooseMeat

Well, the "machine is in its final resting place, a few tidy ups and new power source is first in order. I have posted a couple of pics below, Q. is there a cutter shape guide chart on what the different cutters are used for, there are over 500 cutters of different shapes, sizes, profiles, and colours, I don't know where to start, google I guess....

ps.
and yes I seem to have all these cutter profiles

Attachments

• IMG_5236.jpg
    IMG_5236.jpg
    752 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 35f8ea2bb2d9fe8f0a096d650f7a8d8b.jpg
    35f8ea2bb2d9fe8f0a096d650f7a8d8b.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Very nice...... Do you have a milling machine as well? I see you got a lot of end mills in the batch. If you don't, a milling attachment for your lathe, and a little bit of patience and you can do a lot with a little....
Of course, most of us will point out that since you already have a bunch of mill tooling..........:rolleyes:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looking good! my only suggestion would be too move the lathe out from the wall on the tailstock end to allow easier install/remove of the tailstock .
As far as inserts maybe post a picture of the lathe tools you have maybe give a better idea of what will be most commonly used but this is a start the tool is sometimes task specific but the inserts' can be the same or different.
A QCTP maybe something you want to look at if you get tired of swapping in tools into the 4 way post.