a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
嘿罗斯,如果您正在汉密尔顿寻找其他创新机械商店,
你可以尝试这两个:
- 科达林工业公司
- 温特沃斯工具和模具

20 世纪 90 年代,我与这两家公司签订了合同,为我做大型模具工作。
If there is no trade secret, can I see the two companies processing your mold pictures for you?

a smile

Premium Member
I did check the tailstock, its the same issue with the fit, the regrind did change the the geometry slightly.

Fortunately because the headstock was taken from another machine by Peter to make this one whole, it was actually a few thou lower than the tailstock to begin with. I figured I could do it this way around and tackle the tailstock after.

Thanks for the other tips. I’m going to get it level and scrape in the carriage and then do some rechecks to see if I need to go back and adjust the headstock again.

I was rotating the test bar to account for error in straightness. The test was pretty good so it made the calculations easier. Depending on how it was clocked in the spindle MT bore I had 4-7 tenths TIR at the end of the 12” bar. Diameters at the two ends of the test bar are as close as I can repeatably measure (+/- a tenth or better).

I think I’ve found an undamaged back gear from another hendey restorer with a parts machine so the headstock will be coming apart again when that arrives.
This is my fear of the problem, once you need to do the scraping work on the machine tool, you must need a bunch of professional measuring tools and auxiliary tools, especially the height of the tailstock is reduced, but also need to reduce the height of the headstock, this is a super complex project, the challenge is beyond my patience, so I will avoid buying the machine tool that needs to be scraped. But I will keep an eye on your process and learn that experience is always beneficial!

a smile

Premium Member
There’s some re-organizing and purging that will need to happen. I’ll be moving the mill a bit as well.

I would like to rebuild the shop 16x20 or maybe a bit bigger in a few years too.
I see your yard is big, your studio is not. Can you build a large studio that completely covers your yard? What is the law in Canada? I care about this issue!!

Rauce

Ultra Member
I see your yard is big, your studio is not. Can you build a large studio that completely covers your yard? What is the law in Canada? I care about this issue!!

There’s municipal codes about how much of your property can be occupied by buildings.

I would like to make it a bit bigger one day, I can probably do that if I apply for a variance but it is also expensive.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

As @Rauce says, the rules vary from municipality to municipality. Some allow more than others. I am not aware of anyplace that will allow a shop that covers the entire yard. Almost all municipalities have building frontage setbacks and lot line setbacks. Some are even more restrictive with coverage limits.

a smile

Premium Member
There’s municipal codes about how much of your property can be occupied by buildings.

I would like to make it a bit bigger one day, I can probably do that if I apply for a variance but it is also expensive.
What is your area now? What is the maximum area you can build?

a smile

Premium Member
As @Rauce says, the rules vary from municipality to municipality. Some allow more than others. I am not aware of anyplace that will allow a shop that covers the entire yard. Almost all municipalities have building frontage setbacks and lot line setbacks. Some are even more restrictive with coverage limits.
Does the construction of an underground studio in the courtyard also need to be subject to this rule? I think there was a video about building houses in Canada that mentioned this, but it didn't say what the rules were.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does the construction of an underground studio in the courtyard also need to be subject to this rule? I think there was a video about building houses in Canada that mentioned this, but it didn't say what the rules were.

I don't actually know anything about underground. I doubt it is very popular. It's expensive and needless here. When you mention courtyard, it makes me think you believe lots are small. They can be as big as you want if you can afford it. My own shop is 80x40 ft2 and about 18ft high. But it is on 100 acres so I would never consider an underground shop. Maybe if you are in the city it might be a consideration, but why would anyone want to build a shop in the city when land is so expensive there? Better to buy outside the city where land is cheaper.

Rauce

Ultra Member
What is your area now? What is the maximum area you can build?

I’m not sure what the maximum is, I haven’t done my research yet. Currently it is 18 square meters and if I go bigger I’d like to have around 30 square meters.

I think since the rules have changed since it was constructed I will have to request a variance to build anything there since it is close to the property line.

The rules vary between cities and regions and are rather complicated.

I’m not sure what the maximum is, I haven’t done my research yet. Currently it is 18 square meters and if I go bigger I’d like to have around 30 square meters.

I think since the rules have changed since it was constructed I will have to request a variance to build anything there since it is close to the property line.

I live in the same city/municipality as @Rauce and I have a neighbour across the street who built a huge garage covering most of the yard and he rents out the house. It seems like a brilliant plan to me because he has a huge shop where he stores several antique cars, the rent probably pays for most of his costs, and he has a great investment in real estate on top of all that!

a smile

Premium Member
I don't actually know anything about underground. I doubt it is very popular. It's expensive and needless here. When you mention courtyard, it makes me think you believe lots are small. They can be as big as you want if you can afford it. My own shop is 80x40 ft2 and about 18ft high. But it is on 100 acres so I would never consider an underground shop. Maybe if you are in the city it might be a consideration, but why would anyone want to build a shop in the city when land is so expensive there? Better to buy outside the city where land is cheaper.
I knew you had a lot of land, but I didn't know you had a 40*80=3200 feet store. Wow! It's an amazing area, equivalent to about 300 square meters, and with an amazing height of 5.4 meters (forgive me for using the metric system), I think it's a standard small factory rather than a DIY studio, which is pretty much my ultimate goal, which I eventually needed. You are my idol!

a smile

Premium Member

Your studio also overturns my understanding of Canadian architecture. Your space is roughly equivalent to the area of a small and medium-sized garage in China. Although it is small, it is still far beyond the area that most Diyers in larger cities in China can use, they are very sad to find no place to use, so they can only suppress their hobbies.

Thankfully, I live on Level three: Province, regional city, county level city, I live in a county level city, and it is not a very prosperous county city, so I found a relatively spacious studio, I have 50 square meters +20 square meters (separate space) and an outdoor space that I can use - similar to your yard (where I often take photos), Although there is still a great distance from my ideal area, I am still trying to wait for the opportunity!

a smile

Premium Member
I live in the same city/municipality as @Rauce and I have a neighbour across the street who built a huge garage covering most of the yard and he rents out the house. It seems like a brilliant plan to me because he has a huge shop where he stores several antique cars, the rent probably pays for most of his costs, and he has a great investment in real estate on top of all that!
Your neighbor's way of doing things fits my lifestyle concept, I'm okay with a slightly smaller living area, but I'd like to have a larger studio space, e.g. 1200 square feet of living space, 4500 square feet of studio space. This probably has a lot to do with using time, as I spend most of my time in my studio.

Thank you for your reply, which let me gradually understand the actual living situation of DIYER in Canada, 20,000 kilometers away.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I knew you had a lot of land, but I didn't know you had a 40*80=3200 feet store. Wow! It's an amazing area, equivalent to about 300 square meters, and with an amazing height of 5.4 meters (forgive me for using the metric system), I think it's a standard small factory rather than a DIY studio, which is pretty much my ultimate goal, which I eventually needed. You are my idol!

It's ok. I speak metric and imperial. It's just that my old brain was born in an imperial world so that's how it thinks.

Don't forget that my studio (barn) also contains two big tractors, and a whole bunch of other farm equipment like sprayers, plows, a backhoe, etc. It isn't quite as roomy as it sounds. But I'm not complaining! I love my shop and my farm!

Rauce

Ultra Member
Back to the lathe!

Some progress cleaning out the QCGB. Mostly just a lot of old grease, condition of the components seems to be quite good. I’ll post the after photos when I’m done.

Also some progress on scraping the saddle. The narrow V ways are tricky but it’s getting easier as I go along.

Attachments

• 9FDB20BF-88F9-46D4-97B0-64F0633D83B6.jpeg
    9FDB20BF-88F9-46D4-97B0-64F0633D83B6.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 15
  • C8C76396-7692-4DCB-86FC-256C7CB50AA5.jpeg
    C8C76396-7692-4DCB-86FC-256C7CB50AA5.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 3F8733CD-5B0A-4F71-931F-B06629631A32.jpeg
    3F8733CD-5B0A-4F71-931F-B06629631A32.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 14

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Back to the lathe!

Some progress cleaning out the QCGB. Mostly just a lot of old grease, condition of the components seems to be quite good. I’ll post the after photos when I’m done.

Also some progress on scraping the saddle. The narrow V ways are tricky but it’s getting easier as I go along.
It is good to get that old grease and oil out of the lubrication systems, never know what kind of gritty stuff is in there !!
I looked through the Kodarin Industries photo gallery you posted Sunday at 10pm. The vertical boring mill in pics 8 thru 10 machined the corrugation profiles for my 30” Dia. Aluminum Moulds.
They were castings 18”W x 30”Dp x 54”H. (Set of 12)

Rauce

Ultra Member
All cleaned up now and mostly installed the gearbox for testing.

Attachments

• 858F47B6-F284-414A-8564-8A4317BBC00B.jpeg
    858F47B6-F284-414A-8564-8A4317BBC00B.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 61D1D14D-4F48-411B-A746-50D026741844.jpeg
    61D1D14D-4F48-411B-A746-50D026741844.jpeg
    585.6 KB · Views: 15
  • C8AA2DA9-9D5E-4818-92E0-BD2AF11D38F8.jpeg
    C8AA2DA9-9D5E-4818-92E0-BD2AF11D38F8.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
All cleaned up now and mostly installed the gearbox for testing.
Looks good Ross.
If you want to add ‘closed lub’ cannisters, SKF has a line of units that may work instead of the gears in an oil bath.