• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Heat wave ?

Awrite, time to stir the pot s'more...

All these wishful thinking, taxpayer subsidized "renewables" (windmills, solar panels) that are s'pose to save the planet have one small, dirty little secret: They cannot be manufactured, transported, assembled, operated and repaired without carbon based energy. Stop producing electricity via coal or natural gas (there's not enough hydroelectric or nuclear to come anywhere close to powering the planet) and the manufacturing of these eyesores stops.

There is not enough baseload power to keep the factories operating, no matter how many windmills you install. Windmill manufacture requires reliable electricity for the casting, machining & welding of parts, assembly requires diesel powered cranes and/or helicopters using avgas or Jet A, gearboxes require lubricating oil and even synthetic oils have a petroleum base, parts, same as manufacturing & assembly.

Yet the powers that be want to stop carbon based energy production of all types (petroleum, coal, natural gas) based on the fallacy of Anthropogenic Glowbull Warmening.

Calgary has clouds?
Calgary has the odd Hail Storm that only destroys one side of the street in a neighborhood...

But i found the weather in Alberta LESS localized, than the weather in Saskatchewan, where I am pretty sure, the weather sometimes targeted individual houses!

Awrite, time to stir the pot s'more...

All these wishful thinking, taxpayer subsidized "renewables" (windmills, solar panels) that are s'pose to save the planet have one small, dirty little secret: They cannot be manufactured, transported, assembled, operated and repaired without carbon based energy. Stop producing electricity via coal or natural gas (there's not enough hydroelectric or nuclear to come anywhere close to powering the planet) and the manufacturing of these eyesores stops.

There is not enough baseload power to keep the factories operating, no matter how many windmills you install. Windmill manufacture requires reliable electricity for the casting, machining & welding of parts, assembly requires diesel powered cranes and/or helicopters using avgas or Jet A, gearboxes require lubricating oil and even synthetic oils have a petroleum base, parts, same as manufacturing & assembly.

Yet the powers that be want to stop carbon based energy production of all types (petroleum, coal, natural gas) based on the fallacy of Anthropogenic Glowbull Warmening.
One of my late Brothers in Law, was looking at the wind sector in particular, out in Ontario, expecting to invest, and found that the math simply did not work, if you took the subsidies out of the picture. Wind, in particular, cost far more in maintenance cost, than it provides in sold electricity. Much like many abandoned and derelict solar farms in California, the day the subsidies stopped, so did the interest of the original company, in running the plant.

I 'think' I have a pretty good view on Alt energy sources. My family's Farm, was using electric lights and hot water heating, for some 20 years before the power poles were installed along the road. It was made brutally plain to me as I grew up here, that it was an incredibly LIMITED resource! Such was the juggle, of having to be able to shut OFF the hot water heater in the main Farm house, in order to run a compressor, or vacuum pump (there was a commercial dairy here). in order to keep the powerplant (hydro-electric generation via a Pelton wheel driving a generator) from kicking out entirely.

Medieval baby! A chicken in every pot, and a shopping cart in every house!
Y'know that medieval folks didn't raise chicken to eat, yeah?

Eating a chicken, is almost on par with slaughtering the goose that lays the golden eggs!

Medieval folks raised chickens, because several dozen eggs a year, was a FAR greater amount of food than they could get any other way.

Sorta like the old joke about the worlds oldest profession. "ya got it, ya sell it, ya still got it!"

Worked out hens, and spare cockerels, may well have been eaten, but it was NOT why the chicken was kept at all!

Won't get in to Capons, which is a whole 'nuther subject... LOL!

Does anybody know what Paris France does today?

20 years ago, hotel toilets flushed out onto the sidewalks through a hole in the wall. Once a day, a wash truck came along and washed off the sidewalk and streets into the storm drains which dumped right into the River Seine. You could stand on any bridge over the river and watch the raw sewage floating down the river below you. Totally disgusting. Prolly didn't affect global warming though.....
First time I saw that was in Jamaica

Does anybody know what Paris France does today?

20 years ago, hotel toilets flushed out onto the sidewalks through a hole in the wall. Once a day, a wash truck came along and washed off the sidewalk and streets into the storm drains which dumped right into the River Seine. You could stand on any bridge over the river and watch the raw sewage floating down the river below you. Totally disgusting. Prolly didn't affect global warming though.....
Reading this sure makes me want to become an Olympic swimmer....:rolleyes:
I wonder who is going to come in turd place, don't really care about gold or silver.....:p

But, but, but...

Alberta’s 1568 wind turbines didn’t power a single lightbulb Tuesday morning, producing a big fat zero megawatts​

The solution is simple!!! Build more!!! Battery backups!!! Pixie Dust & Unicorn Farts!!!

FYI, this is not an isolated occurrence. This happens often, both in the dead of summer & the dead of winter.

But, but, but...

Alberta’s 1568 wind turbines didn’t power a single lightbulb Tuesday morning, producing a big fat zero megawatts​

The solution is simple!!! Build more!!! Battery backups!!! Pixie Dust & Unicorn Farts!!!

FYI, this is not an isolated occurrence. This happens often, both in the dead of summer & the dead of winter.
Usually when you REALLY need it, when it's hot or cold out. I'm putting my money on Unicorn farts, because Unicorns good, Cow farts bad.
But more importantly it is a great food source for wild animals to feast on the eagles and songbirds at the bases of the towers.

In Ontario, there is also the totally ridiculous opposite! Many times in the past, Ontarians have actually PAID the USA to take excess power we couldn't get rid of! That isn't a typo! We PAID them to take it!

I don't know if it is still happening because the whole thing is well disguised by the bureaucracy these days, but it certainly did happen in the past and I'm pretty darn sure it's still happening.

The problem is that the outfits that tax-payers subsidized to build these things were also awarded contract guarantees and premium pricing. They even get paid NOT TO PRODUCE. But apparently they get paid even more TO PRODUCE, so guess which one they choose.

The system is so Fd up!

To be honest, I am totally in favour of test programs and demonstration projects. But I am against widespread wholesale implementation of any program that doesn't make sense on its own business merits.

The BC government created the "Clean Energy Act" Private power producers generating electricity by wind or hydro are paid around double what the utility sells the electricity for.

The BC government created the "Clean Energy Act" Private power producers generating electricity by wind or hydro are paid around double what the utility sells the electricity for.

And we all know how wonderfully efficient the public utilities are......

Giving them the benefit of the doubt and suggesting the utilities waste half their revenue, that would suggest that these private outfits are getting 4x what they should get.

It's not that i don't trust the science, so much, as it is that I don't trust the Politics! :)
The question you have to ask is why did the science become politicized.

(Answer: Adapting was going to hurt someone's bottom line.)

The last 17 days..
Lowest temp. 35.3 (first day)
Hottest temp. 42.3 (my house)
6 days out of 17 above 38C
Env. Canada weather station here is always about 2C cooler in the summer than the temp at my place.

But im getting used to it.

Not

We got up to 40 yesterday, but when I got up at 5:30 this morning, it was still reading 29 outside. It finally dropped to 26 for a bit around 8:00. Might be another day of hitting one of the local lakes with kayaks again today. The pups loved it yesterday, and it was about 6 degrees cooler up there than here......

Yesterday, driving from Vancouver city to Richmond (15 km), I counted 63 Teslas. Tesla has made a lot of sales in Vancouver. Fun facts: not one of them is paying any road taxes, and chances are the owners got a rebate to buy them. So poor little me and my 2010 Toyota get to subsidize purchase and operation of vehicles that weigh twice as much as mine, and cost $50k. Seems fair.

After I posted this thread , I got to talking with Dabbler . He explained that a lot of people do not have air conditioning and many are elderly . So I see why now they issue the heat alerts at 80 degrees . It feels great to me but not others . If any consolation , it's 97 back in Md and has been for a week or more . The dogs don't even want to go outside to do their business . Either way , its nice to be up here . :)

@Dabbler is spot on.

Back