• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Heat wave ?

Well I hate to inform you all that all your theories and opinions about climate change are all bogus because they all are based on the crazy notion that the earth is a ball/sphere. Non of this stuff makes any sense once you accept that the earth is flat and scientists and governments have been purposely misleading us for decades.

And in an equally interesting stream of things, I've got a few religious/political thoughts/questions I'd like to float out there, to see if there are any opinions.

At the risk of digging a deeper hole, instead of going just sideways, I am going to ask some things and make a statement or 2,or more, rite, wrong or otherwise, put out there some " I don't knows" No finger pointing LOL!
I really don't know how many ice ages there have been, in hand with "there must have been warm up between them" dam, I like the "broil age" term!
I don't know how long any of the ice ages lasted, same as I don't know how long any of the broil ages lasted.
I don't how cold it got or how warm in any of those times.
I don't know what air/atmosphere amount/percentages were. What they may have changed from, to, or back to, or if they did.
I don't know how, if, when, why, what I do, affects the world. I hear, read, think, FEAR, BELIEVE, DO, based on what I hear, read, think and CAN do
Let's be very, very honest, I don't know a lot of things, I do know I will die, and I know I will not know everything. I can't do everything, even with help.
The long and short of it all is, some people have figured out how to know some things based on equipment and or saying/figuring, if this and that equil this, then this must mean this or that or what ever.
I am not saying who's right or wrong, as that can change based on new/ old found information and does so often.
I just try to go on each day, don't buy every lastest greatest, drive less, eat less, waste less, recycle,learn a little bit, try NOT to screw up people, the planet I live on, and the future! -- ALL this based on what someone/some many? tell? me. Which maybe a problem, as something new will be found out tomorrow.
I guess some/part/all of the problem is who, what to believe.
NOW, to stir the pot a bit, Noah didn't build a boat, it was a space ship. They were on it 40 days and nites, they were very long days and nites as where they came from had a longer length day and nite. Some of the animals were dropped off on the Austrialian continent and told not to leave.
As we were built in someone's/something's image I think they have had a poor sense of humour, and we were built on 2 images (female, male) and they,it,them, have had a good laugh ever after.
You do not have to believe, like, or under stand any of the above, that is up to each! If I piss off anyone, sorry, I get pissed off every time all the powers€\|[=?? change their minds!
And to the mods, and admins, please modify etc. if needed, and carry on with that difficult/hard job.
And now to do something for the day, may it not speed up the death of any or the planet!!

Pretty good conversation and people with very different views and listening to others on a divisive and controversial topic.

There is an interesting book called link-> "High Conflict" by Amanda Ripley where the author does a deep dive into how people involved in intractable issues have actually managed to move the needle. Some examples in the book: local civic politics in California, rural republican jail workers and liberal NY Jews, and a big one, Palestinian and Israeli combined swim club - the kids in that club are amazing.

Her central tenant is if you go into a conversation with facts and try to convince others of the 'righteousness' and obvious 'truth' of your position you will NEVER gain any consensus or change anyone's mind. Instead this will just make it worse and harden each side and make progress even less likely.

What to do then? You're going to have to completely change the purpose of the conversation. Truly listen to understand the problem and their perspective. Second, loop back that understanding by restating it in your own words and ask if you have it right. Go back and forth until you do have it right. You are going to have to be sincere here because if you're not you just come off as a manipulative ass. Then you can ask if you can share your perspective. Don't try to convince or change anybody's mind - the only thing you should try to do is get a common understanding. If you achieve that, and a relationship, you now have some trust and can talk about problems and possible solutions.

After reading this I have been trying to apply it at work, at home, it's not easy..

Last edited:
After reading this I have been trying to apply it at work, at home, it's not easy.

I think those books are written for the stated purpose. Ya, very very difficult to do because most people naturally like to argue. That practice quickly deteriorates into winning the argument. Debate is about exploring the substance itself and even taking positions you don't support yourself - the so called devil's advocate - in order to establish the voracity of facts and find paths forward even in disagreement.

In engineering, science, and academia, we are taught to debate facts and conclusions without personalizing them. It's also very very hard to do. I think the essence is debate vs argue. Most people including those in the sciences have no idea how to debate vs argue. Good debating skills require the ability (and the desire) to fully understand the other position before you can debate it - one of the many points ion your book.

Neither approach works with spouses, teenagers, politicians, or the media.

449849640_786074730175136_606322857611767702_n.jpg

I’ll continue to manage my waste but I find it strange that the power that be have decided to tax the hell out of us in the name of climate change while cities like Quebec and Victoria pump sewage into the ocean, other countries use the ocean for a garbage dump from their barges. I have to wonder what these things have to do with the receding ice, and like always the ice cube melts faster at the end of its life.

I’ll continue to manage my waste but I find it strange that the power that be have decided to tax the hell out of us in the name of climate change while cities like Quebec and Victoria pump sewage into the ocean, other countries use the ocean for a garbage dump from their barges. I have to wonder what these things have to do with the receding ice, and like always the ice cube melts faster at the end of its life.
Point of fact: Victoria no longer pumps raw sewage into the ocean since the sewage treatment plant was built in 2020.

Long story, demonstrating how little we get told about good news / clever stuff. I don't bash the news media and online information, but good news never gets the attention bad news does. If it bleeds, it leads.

Story:

In Delta, immediately south of Vancouver, the city of Vancouver operates a land fill. 30 years ago. they installed a piping array to collect the methane gas coming out of the refuse. The intent was to flare off the landfill gases. Across the highway from the landfill is a very large greenhouse. Village Farms had an idea - how about using the landfill gas in our greenhouse? They installed a co-gen plant, scrub the contaminants from the landfill gas, and use it to fire steam boilers to heat the greenhouse. Also use the excess steam to run turbines to generate electricity. Then a smart chemist came along, with some clever engineers, and they developed a burner control system that runs the system so efficiently that the burner exhaust has almost no CO. CO levels so low that it's safe to pipe the burner exhaust into the greenhouse. Pumps up the CO2, so they get better yields. Captures some of the heat that would otherwise go up the chimney. Safe enough that the greenhouse workers can work in shirtsleeves 365 days a year without needing any respirators.

If there's not enough landfill gas, they burn good old Fortis BC natural gas, using the same sophisticated burner system.

End results - Village Farms produces 75 lbs of bell peppers per year per square foot of greenhouse space. In the summer, when they don't need to add heat, the co-gen plant runs the turbines and sells power to BC Hydro. About ten years ago, BC had a problem with a few plant diseases, and many greenhouses had to shut down to remove all of the existing crops and decontaminate. Village Farms had to do this. But because they could run the co-gen, no Village Farms employees were laid off, they all continued to work and get paid during the cleanup.

And Metro Vancouver pays Village Farms to accept the landfill gas. Win Win Win Win. Employment, removal of landfill gas, CO2 capture, good bell peppers.

Completely apolitical, and I don't think anyone of any political stripe would fault this business model.

Does anybody know what Paris France does today?

20 years ago, hotel toilets flushed out onto the sidewalks through a hole in the wall. Once a day, a wash truck came along and washed off the sidewalk and streets into the storm drains which dumped right into the River Seine. You could stand on any bridge over the river and watch the raw sewage floating down the river below you. Totally disgusting. Prolly didn't affect global warming though.....

Point of fact: Victoria no longer pumps raw sewage into the ocean since the sewage treatment plant was built in 2020.
I stand corrected that is good news I grew up there moving to Calgary in the 80’s because of the work thing but spent a lot of time at Willows beach the rectangular cement pipe was always a feature. There was a Smith family that lived near the Cattle Point stairs who opened their swimming pool ( no charge ) in the afternoon to the public they even supplied a lifeguard.

I stand corrected that is good news I grew up there moving to Calgary in the 80’s because of the work thing but spent a lot of time at Willows beach the rectangular cement pipe was always a feature. There was a Smith family that lived near the Cattle Point stairs who opened their swimming pool ( no charge ) in the afternoon to the public they even supplied a lifeguard.
There was a loss of employment as Mr. Floatie had to retire.

IMG_1246.webp
I didn’t know Mr Floatie existed let alone retired in 2020 I hear he went to Southpark to try acting.
IMG_1247.jpeg

We use to ride our bikes along the cement retaining wall trying to see who could make it to the top.

Back