• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Heading East! Ya Mule Ya!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
9510F5FB-299B-4867-8A44-B93E3FC6B9AB.jpeg As a “suggestion”, the nose on a trailer is slightly heavier than the walls. I can bring load bars that span from wall to wall, as an extra brace for something like a top heavy Bridgeport. But as you see the E-track rails are about every two feet, and run top to bottom. Straps can be used for various angles for front to back, side to side, and downward force as needed

When I have the choice and room, I load skunky machines by themself, to give me options for strap or chain placement

I’m no expert, I detest dry vans and prefer open deck work. But @Brent H and @Dabbler have formidable common sense and I have no doubts things will go smooth.

Plus the peanut gallery :p will have their 2 cents to toss in

So this should be fun :D

(I’m totally kidding I’m looking forward to being a part of this, and having members chiming in)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
View attachment 26559As a “suggestion”, the nose on a trailer is slightly heavier than the walls. I can bring load bars that span from wall to wall, as an extra brace for something like a top heavy Bridgeport. But as you see the E-track rails are about every two feet, and run top to bottom. Straps can be used for various angles for front to back, side to side, and downward force as needed

When I have the choice and room, I load skunky machines by themself, to give me options for strap or chain placement

I’m no expert, I detest dry vans and prefer open deck work. But @Brent H and @Dabbler have formidable common sense and I have no doubts things will go smooth.

Plus the peanut gallery :p will have their 2 cents to toss in

So this should be fun :D

(I’m totally kidding I’m looking forward to being a part of this, and having members chiming in)

Dry Van:confused: Trying to avoid Tarping are we:p

Brent H

Ultra Member
@YYCHM - a move early December, through Quebec etc will possibly be a snowy trip. A closed box will be way better than scotch taping things to an open trailer. Consider a 750 sqft shop of tools and machines as well as a garage of tools and machines and also, probably, including my wife’s royal daltons and some other fancy delicate items ! LOL

Also have to move a couple tractors, a mini barn of yard equipment, a boat load of musical stuff, pinball machines …. The keg fridge ….. ooooh my … some yummy…. Going to be fun times!!

Have to see if @Chicken lights likes lobster? Going to have to feed him very well :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHM - a move early December, through Quebec etc will possibly be a snowy trip. A closed box will be way better than scotch taping things to an open trailer. Consider a 750 sqft shop of tools and machines as well as a garage of tools and machines and also, probably, including my wife’s royal daltons and some other fancy delicate items ! LOL

Also have to move a couple tractors, a mini barn of yard equipment, a boat load of musical stuff, pinball machines …. The keg fridge ….. ooooh my … some yummy…. Going to be fun times!!

Have to see if @Chicken lights likes lobster? Going to have to feed him very well :)

Ya, I was just teasing @Chicken lights:D He seems to detest Dry Vans and Tarping, so I thought the Dry Van won out this time:p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When we moved to the farm it was January - March using a 26ft flatbed that I made stake sides for. We moved the entire house plus garage plus small barn that way 1 trip at a time. But it was only 120km. I've seen Brent's place and shop and it seems very similar to what I had to move. We only moved in good weather. But to this day I wish I had bought an enclosed trailer instead of a flatbed. My heart goes out to @Brent H and @Chicken lights for the job they have ahead of them. Same goes for @kevin.decelles and his move to Saskatchewan. I had it easy by comparison to you characters.

One suggestion I do have is to borrow, rent, build, or buy a crane for the new place and use the tractor forks at the old place, and then move the tractor last. That worked well for us for the big stuff.

Edit - might not work well with an enclosed trailer though..... Oh WTF, make it a convertible trailer with a removable roof! ;):rolleyes::p

Last edited:

Tecnico

(Dave)
First off, @Brent H , welcome to the Maritime neighborhood, I think that brings the count of CHMWs up to 3 of us out here. Might even get the chance to say hello in person! I'll be watching the saga as it progresses.

My 2 cents worth? The enclosed trailer is the thing if you're passing through Quebec in the winter, the sand/gravel they put on the roads gets into everywhere and sandblasts whatever isn't protected like that delicate Opel......;)

You're fortunate to have the personal services of @Chicken lights to transport your life's belongings to their next home.

Good luck with the adventure!

D:cool:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
We will be on PEI in three weeks.
I will send you a first-hand weather report from Charlottetown !!

A week out East for us will be sent on the ‘Red Sands‘ of the island.

darrin1200

Darrin
@Brent H I thought I recognized that name. I lived in Rusagonis, for 5 years, when I was posted to Gagetown. We drove through Charters Settlement every time we went to Town. It’s a beautiful area.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes @Canadium I was they would - but, my lovely wife gave me 30 some odd years to mess around here, least I can do to pay her back!

@Susquatch : my neighbour owns a fork lift that can easily lift the mill and sharpener into a transport. My wife’s cousin has access to one in NB and lives, as he puts it “two beers away”. I also have access to 2 x 5 ton x 16 foot enclosed trailers (opel and parts moving end of October) and we own 2 smaller enclosed trailers, plus a reinforced garden tractor (it has hauled a mill and a lathe (not at the same time though). It should be a fun game of the fox, the chicken and the corn. - LOL.

The big bummer of the move is getting all the jobs done to sell this house I thought I had a few more years to complete - LOL.

On the fun side I have the old pinball machine all working!!
It is a 1972 Gottlieb Outer Space:

A5BF087E-0486-431B-AEBE-84C0F0BADBC9.jpeg
95C718FF-BF2D-4143-BE65-BD054EA95814.jpeg

I rebuilt the case, the bottom and redid a mess of relays and lights. Works great! Just waiting on the back glass from my buddy who is fixing a few paint issues on it :)

Lots of fun!!

Brent H

Ultra Member
So today and yesterday I cleaned the lathes and packed up a lot of the machining tools. :( It is sad …. Alas many months of just fixing the house and moving things across the country.

I will post some pictures as I get things properly secured. I will be making several crates with pallet bottoms for ease of moving. I will post my rough drawings for context. I have about 10 machinist boxes and then some regular ones without getting into the automotive side if things.

@kevin.decelles - I can feel your pain with moving heavy stuff. I have several milk crates and some larger full of projects - hundreds of pounds - argh! Lugging a 200 pound tote of electric motors across the shop was fun - who collects this much stuff :p!!

Has anyone been watching this lad?:

Super video and funny as he makes lots of mistakes but works things out. Now I think I should buy a surface grinder before the move- just for the fun of it :D

Hacker

Super User
So today and yesterday I cleaned the lathes and packed up a lot of the machining tools. :( It is sad …. Alas many months of just fixing the house and moving things across the country.

I will post some pictures as I get things properly secured. I will be making several crates with pallet bottoms for ease of moving. I will post my rough drawings for context. I have about 10 machinist boxes and then some regular ones without getting into the automotive side if things.

@kevin.decelles - I can feel your pain with moving heavy stuff. I have several milk crates and some larger full of projects - hundreds of pounds - argh! Lugging a 200 pound tote of electric motors across the shop was fun - who collects this much stuff :p!!

Has anyone been watching this lad?:

Super video and funny as he makes lots of mistakes but works things out. Now I think I should buy a surface grinder before the move- just for the fun of it :D
He has a pretty good delivery, easy to watch. I will keep an eye on this channel. Thanks

wobojazz

Hey Brent... Last year we got an old SM 10 Utilathe (imperial) and earlier this year we got an SM 11 Series 2000 (metric). Cleaned them up, changed oil, made some repairs, added VFD's etc... pretty cool so far.

One WEIRD thing: Metric lead screw is reversed! Is that weird or am I missing something?

We are in Bala, about 40 minutes north of you. Any chance we could have a quick visit before you head east? We would be happy to go to your place or you are most welcome here if you wish.

Cheers.. Warren

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh, where to start:

- Well first off I am very glad that I will have a place to stay next time we vacation in the east. I'm sure that after just a short time in Charters Settlement that most anyone will be able to direct me to your place. Making friends is something you are extremely good at (so finding you should be easy).

- Sounds like you (and the mule) have the move well thought out and are very prepared. The Inheritance Machining is a must-watch video for someone about to move a hobby shop. Well done with your move planning and I hope it all goes very smoothly. Especially with the Royal Dalton stuff! Forks for loading is a good approach. Add an ATV winch (or cable puller) and sliding a skid to the front is easy. Like Inheritance Machining mentioned - balancing and getting proper trailer tongue weight is essential (especially on a long winter weather trip).

- I very much enjoyed your hospitality at the Meet & Greet. You are an awesome ambassador for this forum. I was a new member then and the M&G was a great intro to this group. I sincerely thank you again. I'm about to get a mill and your M&G was very helpful to me when deciding what machine to get. Our loss is NB's gain. BTW: I'd consider going to NB for your next M&G.

- Congratulations on finding a new place that sounds like it will be perfect. Best of luck.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey @wobojazz - yes, for some reason they realized metric was backwards thinking so might as well have a right hand threaded lead screw on the metric change over :D

My metric Utilathe also has this feature and you have to get used to it for threading. You may also notice that the feed and lead screws are imperial diameter and metric thread.

Pop by for a visit anytime but PM me to be sure I am around. Going to be a few trips beginning in a week and a half.

@CWret : thanks for the nice words!! You can visit no problem and I will put out the welcome mat for an M&G once settled!!

cjmac

Yes @Canadium I was they would - but, my lovely wife gave me 30 some odd years to mess around here, least I can do to pay her back!

@Susquatch : my neighbour owns a fork lift that can easily lift the mill and sharpener into a transport. My wife’s cousin has access to one in NB and lives, as he puts it “two beers away”. I also have access to 2 x 5 ton x 16 foot enclosed trailers (opel and parts moving end of October) and we own 2 smaller enclosed trailers, plus a reinforced garden tractor (it has hauled a mill and a lathe (not at the same time though). It should be a fun game of the fox, the chicken and the corn. - LOL.

The big bummer of the move is getting all the jobs done to sell this house I thought I had a few more years to complete - LOL.

View attachment 26637
View attachment 26638

I rebuilt the case, the bottom and redid a mess of relays and lights. Works great! Just waiting on the back glass from my buddy who is fixing a few paint issues on it :)

Lots of fun!!

View attachment 26637
View attachment 26638

Lots of fun!!
I like your pinball machine. They are such fascinating devices. Please post pictures when it is all back together. I have a Gottlieb "Strange World". It was running fine when I put it in a container a few years back. I bought a new set of rubber bumpers for it. They are sitting on top of it waiting for when it gets into my shop.

Chris

Brent H

Ultra Member
Update:

First trip out east completed, took a 16 foot trailer out and a 10 footer. Will be going out again early December. Starting to box up the tooling :

D29A52B8-0790-40D9-8D2A-8569081EB614.jpeg
Starting to frame in the pallet

E94C1795-8FE9-4156-B634-D04BABF86EE2.jpeg

Still more tool boxes of lathe and mill tools to add.

Next trip will be another 5 ton axle trailer so will probably take the tool boxes and 2 lathes, with some furniture, cloths and such. Might load the keg fridge and some glasses - Christmas stuff etc.

Life is busy …