• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Heading East! Ya Mule Ya!

Brent H

Ultra Member
More pallets to go and Mr Imperial and Miss Metric are going to be in bed together!! Oh my….. hoping for a new product of their love - maybe a surface grinder ? :p
CC79C049-58FE-46D6-9BA5-900F788B46A8.jpeg
Pallet from stone and tile delivery covered with 3/4 plywood for the mattress. Using the engine hoist (argh! There must be a better design!!) I lifted and blocked both ends of the lathes a bit higher than the pallet.
A79A1678-23BB-4523-B089-947D49014F45.jpeg
Grabbed the boys and we manually prodded the lathes into position.
3AF42529-AA5B-47AC-9647-A828C1CDA7A7.jpeg

Lathes face each other - saddles as far under headstock as possible. Compounds at 90° to prevent any handle damage. Aprons locked. Gear boxes in low speed, tailstocks moved inside the end of the lathes so handles cannot get caught up- secured to the bed (don’t want them babies going for a walk (as can be the case with Utilathes )

Both lathes contain the “extras” like tooling, chucks etc and all of that is on the bottom. Both will get lagged to the pallet, a suitable packing shoved between them tightly and then they will be ratchet strapped together and to the pallet. Then it is the long, long freaking long wait to unpack and put back to use - argh!!!!

New shop design coming along and that will be for a thread after Christmas (have to see if settlement agrees to my “expansion” )

Tool box pallet 1 is almost ready. Will have more pics of that soon. Working on a metal railing project for a client and a few other things …. LOL

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Using the engine hoist (argh! There must be a better design!!) I lifted and blocked both ends of the lathes a bit higher than the pallet.
Well done!
One thing that I found helped a lot on my hoist is the ability to mount the outriggers to the outside of the U-channel. I did it in a makeshift way when I put my mill on its new stand.
I think welding on another length of U-channel with the necessary holes to the outside of the original would be a easy fix. Or maybe figure out a way so the outriggers come straight out would be another way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Using the engine hoist (argh! There must be a better design!!)

Could have sworn I saw a loader tractor at your place when I was there....... Beats the crap out of an engine hoist. I have an engine hoist but I use my tractor at least 30 times as often.

Or did you send the tractor first.......

When I moved to the farm I bought a flatbed and loaded it at the old place with my loader tractor. I also bought a boat lift and modified it to become an overhead crane that stayed at the new place for unloading. The last thing to make the trip was the tractor. If I had to do it over again, I'd do exactly the same thing. Paid way less than using a machinery mover and got a flatbed and overhead crane in my costs.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Susquatch: I can’t fit the tractor in the shop to the area of the lathes. They will be on the pallet and then pallet jacked to the door and up onto the trailer, along with Tool boxes etc.

@David_R8 : yes the engine hoist is a beastly thing with the splayed legs and such. Typically ends up just “that couple inches” out of required lift space. New shop I hope to have a couple beam tracks, see how planning works out ;).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I can’t fit the tractor in the shop to the area of the lathes. They will be on the pallet and then pallet jacked to the door and up onto the trailer, along with Tool boxes etc.

Need to fix that on the other end then...... LOL!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Well, more loading and Mr Imperial and Miss Metric are going on a vacation, alas….
6770EEA7-2525-49CE-B6BA-079EC23CA8E5.jpeg
The shop now has a big hole left in it!
F80CAB4F-F7FA-44D3-8753-0EB5BCE71ECA.jpeg

The Lathes packed all their trunks and boxes as well as some of Bridget’s things - I guess Bridget and a few other tools will be taking the Christmas trip.
7B4EA858-AE91-46CA-B5BC-FBE160A49941.jpeg

My Outer Space pinball is also good to go and will pop in the truck bed for the drive.
C1EE7E4D-8137-452A-80D8-42F933B92F48.jpeg

Lots more to pack up for the trip Monday but fit my drum sets in, all the holiday stuff and debating on taking the keg fridge. Definitely do get parched after the long drives…..hmmmmmmm

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Pinball machine, drum set, and keg fridge....What frat house are you moving to again? :D.

Have a safe and uneventful trip. Reading this thread has made me not want to move all my stuff ever again. Even though what you're doing is a possible retirement plan for us as well.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Dan Dubeau : gotta have all the toys! I have a 1976 Grand Prix pinball as well. The Bar will be quite a fun place, sound stage, beer on tap and a few machines to play!

@David_R8 : you are also doing quite awesome on your place!!! The non- enviable part of the move is like @kevin.decelles : 1400 kms one way, then turn around and do it again…. God bless the hot tub and a super Wife!

@Dabbler : fixing them is addicting - gotta get that under control - LOL!!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@Dan Dubeau : gotta have all the toys! I have a 1976 Grand Prix pinball as well. The Bar will be quite a fun place, sound stage, beer on tap and a few machines to play!

@David_R8 : you are also doing quite awesome on your place!!! The non- enviable part of the move is like @kevin.decelles : 1400 kms one way, then turn around and do it again…. God bless the hot tub and a super Wife!

@Dabbler : fixing them is addicting - gotta get that under control - LOL!!
My wife did mention the other day that when we retire there's no reason to stay here. Parent's will be gone, kids can fend for themselves...She specifically mentioned NB...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, more loading and Mr Imperial and Miss Metric are going on a vacation, alas….

They look so cute cuddled up together like that!

Wow..... I feel your pain. Ya, If I never ever move again it will be too soon..... Then I remember where you are moving to!

Safe travels friend!

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
My wife did mention the other day that when we retire there's no reason to stay here. Parent's will be gone, kids can fend for themselves...She specifically mentioned NB...
Happy wife.... ;)

I would lean to move to ‘Berta given my gumption, Saskatchewan is actually moving into a close second if not the lead from recent events. If NB follows a similar path I’ll readjust its place on the list, but anything east or west of centre seems to be more level headed

no politics :p

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
We took a 2 week road trip out east when our first was born in 2012, and loved NB. Every once in a while I browse MLS, do some math, and send a bunch of links to the wife :D. I like NS too. Somewhere on the water, with a couple decent golf courses nearby. A big shop, and no grass to cut and I'll be happy. She wants a bit of land for animals, and gardens. Hanging around Ontario at this point seems highly doubtful.

We took a 2 week road trip out east when our first was born in 2012, and loved NB. Every once in a while I browse MLS, do some math, and send a bunch of links to the wife :D. I like NS too. Somewhere on the water, with a couple decent golf courses nearby. A big shop, and no grass to cut and I'll be happy. She wants a bit of land for animals, and gardens. Hanging around Ontario at this point seems highly doubtful.
Friend has a place they are selling out east right on the water if you want I'll PM you a contact and you take it from there.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's a little early to seriously start looking at places, although I dream every once in a while. Wife has 15 years left until she can draw her pension, so we're here until then at least. Then we'll see where the kids end up in life, and decide. A lot of variables, but for now I just like sending her links to awesome properties and saying "hey, we can quit our jobs, move here, pocket a pile of dough and live mortgage free". :D

She gets me back by typing out a long list of renos to the house that still need to be done before we can sell, and says I better get started then.

If it was just me, I'd leave tomorrow. For somewhere, anywhere.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
We did the xCanada trip by motorhome one summer, loved the maritimes. Went back a few years later in February just to see what it was like in winter, nope, not for us, lol
We're officially west coast wussies, came back to the island, bought our retirement home then sold the snowblower.

Some of the most beautiful sunsets were from the barracks overlooking the Bay of Fundy.