• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Grinder for sharpening metalworking and woodworking tools- low speed or normal speed?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Is this the “Tool Sharpening” discussion ?
You guys can talk about anything - LOL !!

My Band Sander showed up from Hong Kong . . . 2 weeks early !!

This little unit sharpened a dozen drill bits in minutes. It really spins the belt.
SS frame, variable speed, spring loaded tightener and rubber feet to stop any wandering on the work surface. It came with 10 belts as well.

I put a ‘pen‘ in the photo for size comparison.

Attachments

• 9AAB65BF-1421-4972-BFF5-659C1BFCA8EF.jpeg
    9AAB65BF-1421-4972-BFF5-659C1BFCA8EF.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 15

deleted_user

Super User
Is this the “Tool Sharpening” discussion ?
You guys can talk about anything - LOL !!

My Band Sander showed up from Hong Kong . . . 2 weeks early !!

This little unit sharpened a dozen drill bits in minutes. It really spins the belt.
SS frame, variable speed, spring loaded tightener and rubber feet to stop any wandering on the work surface. It came with 10 belts as well.

I put a ‘pen‘ in the photo for size comparison.

That's all you really need. You can make this even more functional with one of the many grinder rest designs out there. Mind if I ask where you got this? I can fit this puppy in my home shop and increase my productivity

TOBARApprentice

Super User
I have the Toycen Journeyman from Cuttermasters. It is incredible and worth every penny, although I picked it up very reasonably on Kijiji. I also have a Tormek T2000 from years ago. It does a great job and will certainly accomplish a great deal of what you are trying to achieve. That said, buy some beer and make the drive to Ancaster...... You can try the two out and see if either is worth making the investment. Cheers.

Derek

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
They seem to have other models now available.
This one is now shown for $85.00

c64c54fd-1e6d-41ea-87f3-fbf65666c59a.jpg.webp

• c64c54fd-1e6d-41ea-87f3-fbf65666c59a.jpg.webp
  • aec24d5f-b1bc-438d-bcbf-379fc5fb0477.jpg.webp
  • a43a598c-a329-47d7-a2cc-7fbda90dda38.jpg.webp
  • 620917bc-f44b-48cf-a097-c1aff7b01dea.jpg.webp
  • 327b3ac1-9e88-4493-9a4a-f9ff73a6b0c3.jpg.webp
  • 3b649ecb-7234-4a4d-a974-2c08a3782fc0.jpg.webp
  • fa9ef9be-e367-47c8-8072-b67a6cd985e1.jpg.webp
  • e7268b0f-c5b4-4ad0-a154-058cb089f78c.jpg.webp
  • b1a81699-fe02-4488-852d-251bb128f8ec.jpg.webp
  • 258492e6-9ca7-4015-b012-03e569f87197.jpg.webp

Mini Electric Belt Sander Grinder DIY Metal Wood Polishing Grinding Machine Sanding Belt Sharpener 330MM - 20mm​

Questions & Answers

ID: 1918500

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have the Toycen Journeyman from Cuttermasters. It is incredible and worth every penny, although I picked it up very reasonably on Kijiji. I also have a Tormek T2000 from years ago. It does a great job and will certainly accomplish a great deal of what you are trying to achieve.
Oooh. Nice tools. Coincidentally I was just gazing upon the Cuttermasters channel. Some very innovative machines. Out of my $ league

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I have the Toycen Journeyman from Cuttermasters. It is incredible and worth every penny, although I picked it up very reasonably on Kijiji. I also have a Tormek T2000 from years ago. It does a great job and will certainly accomplish a great deal of what you are trying to achieve. That said, buy some beer and make the drive to Ancaster...... You can try the two out and see if either is worth making the investment. Cheers.

thats a strong endorsement, glad its working well for you.

Cuttermasters, seems some sort of incarnation of Cuttermaster, no "s". The Cuttermaster was available in two styles, with a column and without. imo the column drastically improves its functionality. It was made in the US was a good quality machine. Looking at the CuttermasterS, I do not like the column, doesn't seem very substantial. I also am shocked at the price, 9600? Wow. I assume its made in China as Accusize also sells it, but their web site claims made in Canada and US.

There is some weirdness around the name/brand. Knowing the original machine was definitely "Cuttermaster" (manual page below), I kind of became the proverbial dog with a bone trying to figure it out. Cuttermaster belonged to Conquest Industries Inc, Santa Fe. The cuttermaster.com url sits unused and and Conquest Industries no longer lists them as a product.

Accusize's web site notes "Cuttermasters with an S is a multinational company. It has offices and factories across Canada and the U.S. Its products include Drill Sharpeners, End Mill Sharpeners, Annular Cutter Sharpeners, Neck Relief, Weldon Flat Grinding, Corner Radius, Carbide Cut Off, etc. All the Cuttermasters products are made in Canada or made in the U.S.". It looks like there is lone Canadian office and "factory" is a bungalow in Ottawa, 2353 Ridgecrest Pl. The US web site claims made there (US), seems surprising and I'm doubtful. Furthermore, Cuttermasters's US website gives the address 808 Proctor Ave, Ogdensburg, NY, which appears to be a freestanding building with NAS Logistics, a drop ship/forward as the occupant.

Toycen Industries of Ottawa claims to have designed the Cuttermaster Professional. Jeff Toycen is listed as the President of Cuttermasters, and his web site says they are active in Business Analytics, Construction Planning, Energy Infrastructure, Global Markets, Startup Funding and Wealth Management. The empire's HQ is 2353 Ridgecrest Pl, Ottawa. A 411 search says there is a J Toycen living at 2353 Ridgecrest Pl.

It's possible they could still have NA manufacturing, but they try very hard to hide it. They claim a amazing list of customers (Gucci, Rolls Royce, Amazon, Google, NASA and Pauls Tool and Die...scroll down here https://cuttermasters.com/about-us-2/?currency=CAD) and that they usually fix the machines for free: https://cuttermasters.com/about-us-2/. The whole thing just seems way off.

Conquest (Cuttermaster) is still in business, has a 40,000 sq ft with 11 CNC machines (according to the website) but does not list tool grinders as a product.

Anyway,I ended up with a Chevlair bench top grinder, a clone of the real (orginal US) Cuttermaster with the column. It's a substantial and well balanced machine. It was 1500 used from a dealer 10 years ago and if you see one come up, I'd recommend it. They do on kijiji and at auction occasionally. Hienman in Miss, a good sized distributor sold a lot of them (according to the old boy Hienman himself when I asked him).

Chevelair are made in Tiawan and somewhere between ok and good imo. That view is mostly from working on/with the floor model I reconditioned (ok), and I would say benchtop is better made (good). The floor model, has received a ground reconditioning (scraping), really performs well now, but there were a few things about that make you shake your head. If I hold my tongue just so, I can grind a cylinder to less than tenth error, as measured with an indicating mic

In the age of the insert, its tough to be in the tool and cutter grinder business. It looks like Cuttermaster is gone, and Chevalier has dropped the the T&CGs. Sign of the times I guess.

original Cuttermaster manual - note url, no "s"
1645018665253.png

Accusize's claim

ACCUSIZE CUTTER MASTER.jpg

current Cuttermasters

CM-01P-CUTTERMASTER-Professional-End-Mill-Grinder-Flute-Grinding-1_700x.jpg

my little Chevalair FCG-610

DSCN0972-1300x975.JPG

larger floor model chevalier...used a lot for cylindrical grinding - basically a knock off of a K O Less T&CG

DSC_6305-1300x870.JPG

DSC_0186-1300x870.JPG

]

Last edited: