Grinder for sharpening metalworking and woodworking tools- low speed or normal speed?

Blouin55

Michel
I have a 6” cheapo bench grinder, 8” slow wet grinder Grizzly T10097 as well as a 1x30 belt sander. 6” for rough stuff. 8” slow for fine stuff and kitchen knives where I want to be able to slice paper, belt sander for metal lathe tools. You can never have enough power tools.

If I only had room for one, the wet grinder would be my choice.

(last week there was a 24” old-style treadle sharpening rig on Craigslist in Vancouver. $200. The type you’d see 50 years ago, going door to door sharpening knives. Unfortunately, no room in my shop or I would have bought what size of paper donu use for grinding your hss lathe tools on your belt grinder...i woukd like to try.
Do you go had free or with a jig?
I have a 6” cheapo bench grinder, 8” slow wet grinder Grizzly T10097 as well as a 1x30 belt sander. 6” for rough stuff. 8” slow for fine stuff and kitchen knives where I want to be able to slice paper, belt sander for metal lathe tools. You can never have enough power tools.

If I only had room for one, the wet grinder would be my choice.

(last week there was a 24” old-style treadle sharpening rig on Craigslist in Vancouver. $200. The type you’d see 50 years ago, going door to door sharpening knives. Unfortunately, no room in my shop or I would have bought it.)
What size of paper do you use for hss tool grinding on the belt grinder...
You do it free hand or with a jig?

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Yeah, I don’t think I will be ‘investing‘ in one of those !!

Did you mean "take" or "make"?

That grinder is beautiful!

So is that old wooden chest next to it!
I think "make", as I have a lot of learning to do to be able to use it.... Trying to make a fixture for grinding lathe and shaper tools....
Yes, it's a nice old chest, still not sure what is going to live in it though.....

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Makita makes a nice planer blade sharpener with Japanese water stone. Relative slow speed (~500 rpm), water reservoir over the stone dribbles water over it - can get "mirror" finishes and never burn anything. I've sharpened up to 15" planer blades on it. I actually have 2 of them, one with the water stone for conventional knives, chisels etc., the other has a diamond wheel mounted for carbide.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Do you go had free or with a jig?

What size of paper do you use for hss tool grinding on the belt grinder...
You do it free hand or with a jig?
free hand, messed up many tool bits until I got the hang of it. I mostly use carbide inserts for lathe work, so most tool sharpening is done for drill bits, HSS parting tools, and HSS boring bits. I tend to go 80 or 120 grit belts, and if I need super-sharp I rough on the belt sander, finish on an oil stone, and diamond bonding stick.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Steven,
Dust collection is just some properly shaped metal ducts and enough air flow to handle the volume of material…
Thanks for your suggestions @LenVW , my tentative plan is:
- dust collection for wood dust.
- exhaust for smoke from metalworking and objectionable other smells I make (personally and as a result of my actions…LOL) (I’m wondering if the dust collector can do this too?)
- metal shavings I’ll sweep up.
- shop vac for catching dust from using grinders. Yes there is a risk there, but I hope by the time any sparks travel along the 10’ shop vac hose that they are extinguished.
…You want to design in a spark arrestor trap that catches the metal and abrasives, you empty the sludge every once in a while…
That sound’s like a good suggestion. I think I should also consider getting a dedicated workshop fire extinguisher, our’s is a bit far away to be retrieved in an emergency.
… Quorn is on my list of tools I'd love to build...
I’m fascinated by the Quorns, I think because they have so many controls…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
And the honey wagon… (is that the same as the snake oil man…?)

I don't think so. The honey wagon guy literally sold honey, maple syrup, and other farm goods like sugar salt etc. Most people bought that at the general store but the odd guy did deliveries.

The snake oil guy literally sold snake oil to idiots. He also sold ointments, salves, extracts, boiled mushrooms, hair grease and all the stuff you would get at a naturpath joint today. None of it worked worth a crap but your old spinster aunt loved it and had to have some to help with her bunions, arthritis, and pendulous boobs.

If you live in the country, I assume you know what a honey wagon means today..... Those guys pump out your septic tank

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
don’t forget the Fuller Brush man.

When I was much younger, I said my retirement goal was to become one of those insane elderly Englishman who whittles steam engines out of blocks of metal. I have achieved most of these goals, as I suspect many of you have as well.

deleted_user

Super User
don’t forget the Fuller Brush man.

When I was much younger, I said my retirement goal was to become one of those insane elderly Englishman who whittles steam engines out of blocks of metal. I have achieved most of these goals, as I suspect many of you have as well.
I did that before I became an old man, because I didn't want to risk dying first

deleted_user

Super User
My grandpa was a Milkman, witha team of horses, delivering milk daily to over 400 homes in Hamilton, Ontario
When I first moved to Canada we had a milk man for the first few years. Borden's dairy was IIRC the last to deliver milk in Toronto's suburbs.

Our neighbourhood built in the early 1960s was one of the suburbs to have homes featuring milk boxes... or as we viewed them "emergency entrances"

A noble profession.