• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Forum Change Log

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Sweet, glad it's working.

I called a colleague in Server management and got his help brainstorming solutions.

In easy to understand terms: Previously I was trying to add functionality to the forum software, the new solution was to teach the server where the forum lives how to rotate ios images.

Technical Jargon warning: Previously, I had been trying to install software onto the website that facilitated detection of hidden image metadata (EXIF) and then image rotation to compensate for the rotation data.
Instead, he pointed me towards software that can be installed at the server level that allows all PHP driven sites on the server to detect and interprit that EXIF metadata.

Either way, glad it's working now.

We still did lose some historical images due to this issue, but I can rest well knowing that I will never have to deal with that again. ;)

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
We are lucky to have you josh that was a big save you made there

Happy to help.

For anyone that didn't notice, the site comment boxes (the one I am typing into now) wasn't working for a period of time yesterday, not totally sure how long, but definitely yesterday was the only day impacted!

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Revisited styles on the forum.

Removed the styles which were not being updated as well as they could have been, and created a new "New Silver and Blue Style"
--> This is based on my own personal preference, and little more. haha.

Try it out in the bottom left of the forum.

Both styles, I have updated the page layout so that the actual content area of the forum uses up 80% of the screen width, no matter how big the screen. (It used to max out at 1200px, which looked stupid on high resolution displays)

Centered the logo.

Just generally made everything look better for 4K monitors and Apple's "retina displays" for their desktop machines.

Going to keep tweaking colours later.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Working on an issue related to the forum's image and attachment storage.

Test: logocanadian.png

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Got this all fixed up now. Going to see if I can fix the few images uploaded in the last hour or so!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Reworked the forum layout for forum specific threads like announcements and forum changes to make it easier to see when new features are added.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Updated image attachment settings.
Maximum filesize upload increased to 10MB.
Images are automatically resized down to no more than 1200X1000 px.

(Convenience to upload most images, disk space savings of auto resize.)

@Janger , I reapplied this earlier change, and a quick image test worked on my end, is the max filesize thing still an issue on your side?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@Jwest7788 Josh, on the topic of twigging the website see my post #4 in 'Add topic thread '. For me I believe such a change is a positive and progressive move forward and I wasn't alone. So here's my post again Josh!

Quote: Hi Josh while we're on the topic of webpage adjustments perhaps you might consider reducing the 'Latest profile posts' to 31 days then expand out the' Latest posts' area.

Rational being, I have always found topics are shoved off the 'Latest Posts area' for reasons I won't get into. Just saying!

Keep up the good work.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Josh, in the last week or so I tried to upload a picture. It errored out with no reason given. I was using the forum through my browser at the time. Using the tapatalk app I got a message that hi res images could only be uploaded by VIPs, but it gave me an option to upload in medium and low resolution. That worked. Can the browser version be changed so that option is made available?
thanks John