• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Forum Change Log

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Added Facebook and Twitter Login Authentication for easier login to the site. This goes hand in hand with the Google Login functionality added earlier.

If you want to associate your social network login functionality with the forum see: http://screencast.com/t/pshJkfSIQlkl

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'm queuing up some software updates to the forum for later today. May be some odd functionality this afternoon.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Uploaded a new logo variation to be more in line with the sign that has been created for the Mini Maker Faire this weekend.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I noticed lots of members were stuck as "New Member" status.
Added a new Trophy "10 posts" which awards to users with 10 posts.

This should push people into the "Member" Category after 10 posts have been made.

Many will receive this Trophy, even though you're long past 10 posts already ;)

JW

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I see that Trophy has popped up it works! I notice some members with 10+ posts are still new members. Does that change take affect after they make the next post?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I think the member vs new member thing runs once a week on a schedule. Will look into it to confirm and get back to you!

Also did a forum software update yesterday. Looked like it was mostly security updates.

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Working on in built forum premium membership type stuff. Added a link to the menu to drive attention, and setup a new user group, which is flashy and helps to show appreciation for members who help support this forum!

--> Looking for input re: pricing structure
Any comments on the new yellow banner for forum supporters?

I'm currently researching:
Added functionality for forum supporters (longer edit window on self content, etc. I suspect there will be cool feature's we're not yet using, some of which may be good as premium stuff?)
----> Thoughts?

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Working on in built forum premium membership type stuff. Added a link to the menu to drive attention, and setup a new user group, which is flashy and helps to show appreciation for members who help support this forum!

--> Looking for input re: pricing structure
Any comments on the new yellow banner for forum supporters?

I'm currently researching:
Added functionality for forum supporters (longer edit window on self content, etc. I suspect there will be cool feature's we're not yet using, some of which may be good as premium stuff?)
----> Thoughts?

JW

What's this costing Josh? Are you looking to have ads, pay for memberships, stuff like that?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
What's this costing Josh? Are you looking to have ads, pay for memberships, stuff like that?

Growing the forum has always been a goal, I figure the best way to do that in the short term is to ensure that the forum remains a positive resource and meeting place for open discussion.

To be completely transparent, At first my goal is to recoup my own spending on the forum.

So far the bulk of the cost of getting the site online was the actual software that runs the forum, the hosting account, domain name, and I needed a little paid support from a colleague at work in the early stages. I have a paid backup system running too, in case anything ever happens. Malware is a big issue with "custom" (non sitebuilder) websites, so some protections in place there. Other costs have been minor, things like kijiji bump ups, minor paid tweaks to the forum, etc.
Some of these costs are annual, like hosting, domain, backups, etc. So while it's not a huge deal to have floated the cost (and I really did dive in on this myself), it's been looming over me a little bit that the forum will continue to have costs associated in future.

After that's caught up, I have a small laundry list of paid software add on's I think would benefit the forum, video gallery capability for example, Advanced polling, etc.
The forum software I picked is great, as it has a huge library of add ons, but many of them are paid components.

Additionally, I could see growing to include a couple of other components outside of the forum itself, like a library of sorts with user contributed articles on general topics, maybe a traditional website front end, etc.
I could picture working with @Kris Jensen 's new store/bar in some way too? Who knows.

If one day we have a stream of steady members, I would like nothing more than to fund group projects, maybe cover the cost of production of some starter projects to nurse the hobby in beginners (not unlike @Alexander 's steam engines), renting a venue for meetups (catering would be cool? haha), or a true pipe dream would be having a communal workshop, maybe a subsidized metal inventory?
--> Ideas like these are a long ways down the road though, if we ever get to that point, but I have high hopes and aspirations to help grow the forum, and the hobby in Canada in general.

If we had enough members, Canada revenue will get involved, if this takes off I could see registering as a non profit (which also costs a few hundred)? Though I haven't looked into this stuff yet, as it would be along way off!

Anyways, I hope that answers your question, but let me know if I missed anything!

Also, looking forward to everyone's thoughts!

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Group buy of material and just having it avail at a reasonable price... 12L14 and aluminium, cold roll sheet, ????

Some group projects. Harold halls rotary table for example? Boring head. Weld table group project.

Mphenley

Premium Member
An option might be a premium members only audio chat server? I can provide equipment and connection... Possibly a forum wide text chat room, if the desire is there... I would think group projects would want more active conversation, instead of forum posts, but I'm not dissing the current structure, either.

Maybe run it by at the next meet up?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
An option might be a premium members only audio chat server? I can provide equipment and connection... Possibly a forum wide text chat room, if the desire is there... I would think group projects would want more active conversation, instead of forum posts, but I'm not dissing the current structure, either.

Maybe run it by at the next meet up?
I was reading over the weekend. There are a couple of in built components like this, so far most of them are ~$75 Cad

If there is enough interest in the idea at the next meetup, I'll go ahead and add the functionality, if it doesn't sound like it, we'll consider for down the road.

When we get to group project level, I think you're right that livechats would be hugely helpful.

We'll have to see! haha

Change log Update:
Playing around with functionality around signatures and post editing. Saw a new user introduce themselves, then delete the thread after a couple of days. I think It's better to keep the record on the forum, even if the member stops being active. So am playing around with preventing new users from deleting threads.

Let me know in the related thread if you spot any odd functionality changes.

Mphenley

Premium Member
I don't think we'd need to pay for components, when something like teamspeak is free to operate, but we can discuss options if there's any interest... don't want to make things too expensive too quickly, right? I'm sure we could try the free options first, and if interest grows and bandwidth becomes an issue, integrate it into the site framework.

I'd be curious to see if anyone is interested in a tooling pool/library. There's some custom tools that I've seen made, like collet blocks, insert holders and the like, that would be relatively easy to both make a decent number of and to keep track of while loaning or renting to individuals. Perhaps site premium members would get a discount on either late fees for loans or discounts on rental, depending on the tools?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Updated the support the forum page. Tidied it up to look better. Put a list of current benefits of premium membership.

Updated site goals to reflect number of monthly premium members instead of dollar goals. I think we should focus on members, not dollars! (Thanks @Janger your input was very helpful!)

Added a Trade history system to the classifieds section. Once a trade is complete, you can now leave feedback on a seller. Down the road I imagine this seller history being important.
--> When in the Classifieds section of the site, and viewing a thread, you'll see this:
http://screencast.com/t/uEMmzcvWwYr

Whenever you buy or sell, you can click this link to leave feedback, so other users of the forum can confirm good vs bad sellers.
(Obviously we're all good guys here so far, but I'm sure we'll take in riff-raff eventually, and this honour based system will be help highlight the good guys)

=============

Added "Who Replied" link to threads. See:
http://screencast.com/t/aWrvlFXW

=============

Added a Premium Members Only forum. --> Thoughts?

Last edited: