• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Forum Change Log

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Josh, in the last week or so I tried to upload a picture. It errored out with no reason given. I was using the forum through my browser at the time. Using the tapatalk app I got a message that hi res images could only be uploaded by VIPs, but it gave me an option to upload in medium and low resolution. That worked. Can the browser version be changed so that option is made available?
thanks John

Johnwa can you please try again with your browser - @Jwest7788 did some repair work and it's working again for me. Can you pease try?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Status quo, wouldn't have thought that. Just saying!

Bill - changes like that require configuration work and then ongoing work to maintain when upgrades occur. I'd rather not ask Josh to do that unless there is a significant problem to solve. He's put in a lot of time solving various technical problems with the forum. He keeps this forum going for us as a volunteer and even delegates his programmer to work on it in some cases - essentially a subsidy by his company. In this case there is an easy work around. I agree the profile posts are pretty irrelevant and very dated but this is just the default forum behavior.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
When the picture upload starts it show it as right side up. Then it flips it when the upload is finished.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I ran into this very same issue on another forum. The image orientations was different between three devices. Win PC, iPad and a SAMSUNG tablet.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Bill - changes like that require configuration work and then ongoing work to maintain when upgrades occur. I'd rather not ask Josh to do that unless there is a significant problem to solve. He's put in a lot of time solving various technical problems with the forum. He keeps this forum going for us as a volunteer and even delegates his programmer to work on it in some cases - essentially a subsidy by his company. In this case there is an easy work around. I agree the profile posts are pretty irrelevant and very dated but this is just the default forum behavior.

John, yes I realize major changes to a webpage isn't just a stroke of one's magic wand, it takes much thought and time, often accompanied by unexpected baggage. Since becoming a member in early 2018 my rational is simple I've watched this forum evolved across Canada with it's numerous members, the multiple time zones, mixing in those who work for a living with those who don't. Just think on the vast array of meal times and lights out for that matter which clearly has it's frustrations for users.

I for one certainly don't pretend to have an answer or solution however, I felt it important enough on my part to identify same. Concur with your comments as to the skill and effort Josh brings in maintaining this forum, so few can do that and maintain a smile! Thanks Josh.
There's an old adage which goes like this, being forewarned is being forearmed.

Before closing, very best of the Holiday Season to all where ever you be so play safe!

Last edited:

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
This damn iPhone photo rotation thing again!!

Everytime I update the forum software this issue pops up again. Upgrades are few and far enough between it is always a hassle getting it fixed. I'll take some more notes this time, for the next upgrade.

The issue described above of repeatedly applying this custom fix is what @Janger is referring to. Custom functionality and modifications take ongoing maintenance for the life of the forum.

When it's an item or two, it's not overly burdensome, but they add up quickly.

Worse, each one becomes a future major issue should I ever be hit by a bus or something, as each is bound to me, and otherwise impossible to maintain without me, even by someone who knows the forum software intimately.

For a not for profit endeavour in the absence of a technical team, it's probably best we minimize the custom stuff when we can.

We can implement custom stuff, but need to be calculated about it.

Maybe we could try a vote based system or something... Not sure. I'll put some thought to it!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
upside down though? is this an iphone picture?
@Jwest7788 Josh
Uploading seems to be ok again which is great but rotation from apple devices is an issue. Thanks for working on it.
When the picture upload starts it show it as right side up. Then it flips it when the upload is finished.
I ran into this very same issue on another forum. The image orientations was different between three devices. Win PC, iPad and a SAMSUNG tablet.
This damn iPhone photo rotation thing again!!

Okay, Someone want to upload an iphone photo for me? @Janger?

I've tried to backtrack the solution done some time ago to image rotation issues from specifically apple devices.

Currently "rebuilding" all thumbnail images throughout the site, which should be done in a couple of hours, but newly uploaded images I think should be working properly now(, maybe...)

Last edited: