• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Forum Change Log

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Revisited the donation system trying to figure out a pick your own one time donation level, but didn't have much luck with the functionality of automatically updating the user with a banner (doens't seem supported by the forum software) Will handle the upgrade manually

Spent an hour looking into that image rotation issue, but not having luck finding a solution I can implement..

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Revisited the donation system trying to figure out a pick your own one time donation level, but didn't have much luck with the functionality of automatically updating the user with a banner (doens't seem supported by the forum software) Will handle the upgrade manually

Spent an hour looking into that image rotation issue, but not having luck finding a solution I can implement..

Suspect this was my doing (thanks...sorry to put you through more work just for a suggestion (YIKES). Anyways...either with or w/o a banner I intend to contribute. If my suggestion is a pain let me know...I'll do the monthly thing instead. I know the headaches of an Admin...it can consume your life if not careful. Once more--thanks...great forum, wish it had existed years ago. I see some posters want the site to be more reflective on a national basis instead of just Calgary....nice to be popular, eh?

I'm off researching a new 7x12 swivel cutting bandsaw for the home shop. I outgrew the old 4x6 on a unsolicited job. I'd love to give my old Craftex 4x6 away for a song ....does this site have a "Tools for Sale/Wanted" forum or restrictions on these type of postings? I just need a good story now for the new saw so I can explain to my wife why a big truck with a lift gate is drop-shipping a 400 lbs box to our garage (yet again). Perhaps I should get a gift certificate to the spa that day?.......hummmmmm.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Suspect this was my doing (thanks...sorry to put you through more work just for a suggestion (YIKES). Anyways...either with or w/o a banner I intend to contribute. If my suggestion is a pain let me know...I'll do the monthly thing instead. I know the headaches of an Admin...it can consume your life if not careful. Once more--thanks...great forum, wish it had existed years ago. I see some posters want the site to be more reflective on a national basis instead of just Calgary....nice to be popular, eh?

I'm off researching a new 7x12 swivel cutting bandsaw for the home shop. I outgrew the old 4x6 on a unsolicited job. I'd love to give my old Craftex 4x6 away for a song ....does this site have a "Tools for Sale/Wanted" forum or restrictions on these type of postings? I just need a good story now for the new saw so I can explain to my wife why a big truck with a lift gate is drop-shipping a 400 lbs box to our garage (yet again). Perhaps I should get a gift certificate to the spa that day?.......hummmmmm.
No worries! I'm always open to new ideas and happy to see what I can accomplish, easy, or not, haha.

Yeah, I figure this should naturally begin to spread to other areas, it's tricky as I can't host meetups in every major city! lol (you guys can host in our name elsewhere if you want, I don't even mind helping with some of the setup stuff if you need)

Theres actually a classifieds section you can hit up here for your bandsaw:
http://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/forums/classifieds.20/
Make sure you're over the minimum post limit (3) before you post a link to an external site though!

Yeah, the "Spa cover" one of my favorites, that or strategic shipping on girls night, lol.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Update:
Recently received a one time donation from @CalgaryPT (thank you!), so have enough funds in the pot to to buy another year of upgrades for the forum software. Just ran a major update as were were several versions behind (as our "get current updates" licence had expired)

Please keep an eye out for any weird functionality related to the update, it was a pretty major jump, I am still reading through all the documentation and will report on any new features of interest to the user side of things.

Also renewed the canadianhobbymetalworkers.com domain for 3 years I don't have to worry about that for awhile!

Thinking about adding an SSL Certificate to the forum too for security, even though the forum doesn't really handle anything too sensitive, it should be good for being found in Google (said to be an SEO item)!

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Had the idea to add "sticky" type messages as user manageable "sold" and "available" to the classifieds. Will work on that shortly.

Also have a few modifications coming down the pipe and will report back shortly.

Jw

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Added super awesome Multi-Quote functionality.

The little quote text on the right hand side of each post has a little + now, select as many posts as you want, then click "Insert quotes" underneath the enter your post text field.

See: http://screencast.com/t/Q1ek7PYb7qhX

JW

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
OK, the fact that you have pics this beautiful to begin with make us all wonder why you'd want to return to your shop ever again Josh.

Nice...SO nice.....

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
OK, the fact that you have pics this beautiful to begin with make us all wonder why you'd want to return to your shop ever again Josh.

Nice...SO nice.....
Anyone who hasn't done the driven from Jasper to Banff is missing out on a huge chunk of AB beauty, for sure. It's a day trip, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

JW

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
IMG_1067.JPG Ok testing iPhone shot.

Hey look at that. No rotation problems.

It has a bit less detail than the original photo on my phone.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Detail loss is expected when downsizing, but I think it's a good trade off for not having overly massive images.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like our site for having great photos you can drill way into and see detail. Is the bandwidth and space a concern?

I might be confused here too. Are we talking about the size the photo looks when viewing inline or how big it is when you click to see it big?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I really like our site for having great photos you can drill way into and see detail. Is the bandwidth and space a concern?

I might be confused here too. Are we talking about the size the photo looks when viewing inline or how big it is when you click to see it big?
The images are still able to be seen full size, just inline I am forcing smaller, to avoid "website breakingly largr" images from being in frame

Working towards forcing thumbnails that always link to the full image.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Major Forum Software Update Applied.

Whole forum source code has been rewritten by original developers, new design styles all implements across the board.

The upgrade many new features and significant changes under the hood, with the core code having been completely redesigned. Some of the new features include:
  • Widgets
  • Emoji support
  • Retina avatar and smilie support
  • Custom thread fields
  • The "What's new" Section
  • Extended media embedding features
  • Quick thread creation
  • Etc. etc. etc. (A whole bunch more)

Interested in feedback from members!

Side note: This update is from the forum software original developers. Their documentation explained that it was a critical update with new functionality, but it failed to mention that a ton of the customizations I have made would be overwritten.

So heads up, I have to re-trace years of on and off development to figure out what needs to be repaired or replaced post if you notice any of your favourite functionality is missing.

What's New Section:
whatsnew.png

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member

Whole forum source code has been rewritten by original developers, new design styles all implements across the board.

The upgrade many new features and significant changes under the hood, with the core code having been completely redesigned. Some of the new features include:
  • Widgets
  • Emoji support
  • Custom thread fields
  • Quick thread creation

Side note: This update is from the forum software original developers. Their documentation explained that it was a critical update with new functionality, but it failed to mention that a ton of the customizations I have made would be overwritten.

So heads up, I have to re-trace years of on and off development to figure out what needs to be repaired or replaced post if you notice any of your favourite functionality is missing.

What's New Section:
View attachment 2525

• Widgets
  • Emoji support
  • Custom thread fields
  • Quick thread creation

What's New Section:
View attachment 2525
I think it looks great Josh.

And, oh...of course customizations were overwritten. It the software were PeopleSoft or SAP, the next thing you'd hear is, "But we can help with your reintegration needs...just sign this blank cheque."

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Had another crack at the image rotation issue.

Can someone help with a test from a iphone or ipad:
Hold your phone vertical, take a picture, upload image here to see if it's rotated properly or not.
(Test 2, if you feel: Hold your phone horizontal, but with the home button facing left, upload here) --> This will either be upside down (still broken) or right side up (fixed)

Let me know. @Janger , you're an iphone user, right?

JW

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Had another crack at the image rotation issue.

Can someone help with a test from a iphone or ipad:
Hold your phone vertical, take a picture, upload image here to see if it's rotated properly or not.
(Test 2, if you feel: Hold your phone horizontal, but with the home button facing left, upload here) --> This will either be upside down (still broken) or right side up (fixed)

Let me know. @Janger , you're an iphone user, right?

JW

Attachments

• DEF55984-9581-48DD-86B6-D4B9B56932CE.jpeg
    DEF55984-9581-48DD-86B6-D4B9B56932CE.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7