• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Tips/Techniques Filament Recommendations

Tips/Techniques
Now I am scared. I know nothing about 3D printing, have a flip phone that I wish had a dial rather than push buttons and now this. I need someone to hold my hand if I am to take a plunge. My kids cannot believe that I don't want a 3D printer seeing all that I do and can do. My comfort was YOU. Now I am going to have to follow this a bit more closely. Possibly your order will get lost, never show up and you will abandon this foolishness. Possibly I will have to conform. Please keep us posted, with reluctance and fear I will follow.

Thank you for the post.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Oh Tony, your comfort has wimped out and drunk the coolaide. It's on order. I admit/confess that I am scared shitless.

All your fears are my fears. All your pressures are my pressures.

It's still on sale right now. Sale ends tomorrow. I think the biggest savings is the filament discount you can get by buying filament with the printer. Or you can wait and see how I make out. There will be more sales and prolly a P3S soon enough.

I started a new thread for the printer itself.

 
I think I am going to take the wait and see approach.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada
I don't regret getting my first 3D printer even with all the problems. The worst was my second that was a Delta Printer that was a POS. But they are so cool to watch.

Anyway, 10 years ago I used it to print these custom clips to hold Christmas Lights from Costco. The lamp at the end of the string also had a cover to hold it in place. This wouldn't have been possible without the 3D printer.
GE35-Clips-300.jpg

They went into the 1/8" mahogany frame that was cut in the shape of two hearts.
GE35-ClipCoverInstalled.jpg
All 50 lamps in the string addressable with a small module that took CAN bus messages and changed them to the protocol for the lamps.
DMX2CAN_s.jpg

There were six of them and a small box on the left in that one photo that had RED leds in the shape of the hearts and an ESTOP button configured to be a momentary switch. Press it and the hearts went from twinkling yellow/white to Pulsating Red Heart Beat. Then back again after 15 seconds.
RonLizWedding3.jpg

It meant the bride and groom had to find each other and kiss. Like tinkling the glasses at the table.
1782767025983.png

Five were used once more at another friends wedding before they were dismantled and the heart frames recycled.

1782767200790.png
 
Now I am scared. I know nothing about 3D printing, have a flip phone that I wish had a dial rather than push buttons and now this. I need someone to hold my hand if I am to take a plunge. My kids cannot believe that I don't want a 3D printer seeing all that I do and can do. My comfort was YOU. Now I am going to have to follow this a bit more closely. Possibly your order will get lost, never show up and you will abandon this foolishness. Possibly I will have to conform. Please keep us posted, with reluctance and fear I will follow.

Thank you for the post.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.
I had to recently figure out how to send a fax, from my phone, from my email, using an app. I couldn't tell you how I did it. I couldn't begin to tell you how to do it. There's also some wizardry where a fax machine can send to an email.

It took me close to an hour to send one fax. I don't want to ever have to try that again. I'm with you, I'll follow along here, but I won't be getting a printer anytime soon
 
I have had good luck with getting filament from Canada computers, local for me I have been using the soleyin ultra pla for general printing and prototyping etc. despite some of the reviews I have had no issues in the different rolls I have bought at different times, great price on 5 rolls.
 
Filament is best on plastic rolls with RFID not Cardboard
I mentioned that, but the context is with their AMS where the outside of the spool is the bearing surface for spool rotation. The cardboard can subject the AMS to lots of dust and/or not roll as smoothly. You can print plastic rims that snap on the cardboard, I did that to use up the ones I had, but its extra steps and small pita. Less likely to get a jam with the Bambu plastic spool .... which you reuse. It comes apart and you load a new coil of filament. Buy a bunch with spools then you have some stock and just buy filament replacements thereafter. The RFID is similar - only a thing if staying within the Bambu system (which imo is best, part of "everything just works" with minimal hassle....I never even think about tweaking print settings for the filament) If you don't have the AMS, cardboard or rfids are not an issue.

PLA - best all round for newbies. Get Black, White, Grey, and wife's fav colour.

It's my go to, just because the finish is consistently great and you almost never have a problem. White Black and their blue grey are personal favorites.

The other filament I love is there interface layer stuff. imo one the biggest advantage of the AMS. As you can imagine, you cannot print in thin air for any distance and not everything is going to sit flat on the bed and have all elements supported from bed/part itself. So you have to have supports - break off sacrificial sections used a surface (other than the bed) to print on.

The problem is, if the support is the same material as the part, the support material can be hard to remove and very often leaves behind a bit of a messy surface. The solution is an interface between the top of the support and the part, printed in a material that barely adheres to the parent material. It's expensive, but because you only printing a single layers where it's needed, it lasts a long time. It snaps off easily and the surface underneath is trouble free.

Get some PLA to get going with, but you love the AMS and the support material the first time you need to print something with support.


PLA has some moisture problems. Moisture proof storage containers and dessicant or dryers help.

Where is the printer located - can you dry the room,? I've got a few areas of the basement I've commandeered over the years and the printer is in one. Given basements can be damp, I have a few dehumidifiers running and keep that room at the lowest setting (30 or 35 irrc). With that tiny precaution I find there is no need for additional drying. Half used, open spools sit on a shelf and work without issue. I have a filament dryer which I guess could be useful for more finicky materials, but rarely use it. Keeping the room dry has been no fuss solution and makes for a more pleasant workspace.
 
Where is the printer located - can you dry the room,? I've got a few areas of the basement I've commandeered over the years and the printer is in one. Given basements can be damp, I have a few dehumidifiers running and keep that room at the lowest setting (30 or 35 irrc). With that tiny precaution I find there is no need for additional drying. Half used, open spools sit on a shelf and work without issue. I have a filament dryer which I guess could be useful for more finicky materials, but rarely use it. Keeping the room dry has been no fuss solution and makes for a more pleasant workspace.

This is really what I was asking. I keep my shop below 50% RH. If I understand your advice, that is good enough.
 
This is really what I was asking. I keep my shop below 50% RH. If I understand your advice, that is good enough.
Its all part of the learning curve, I suppose. PLA is a lot more forgiving than most other materials. Absorbed moisture really does not affect PLA in the same way as PC for example, unless its really damp.

When loading the filament, the printer primes the hotend and extrudes enough to push out any foreign material, then its ready to print. BUT watch that extrusion - if the filament contains too much moisture it will be obvious - the extrusion will be irregular, bubbly and there may even be steam! If the extrusion is smooth, theres no issue.

The Bambu AMS has a filament drying mode which I use occasionally to keep the more sensitive loaded filaments dry, but they will absorb ambient moisture fairly quickly (2-3 days). To keep filaments dry for a long time, use a sealed contaner and store the dried filament with some silica gel. I added a hygrometer to show RH at a glance.

IMG_7551.png

IMG_7550.png

🙂
 
To keep filaments dry for a long time, use a sealed contaner and store the dried filament with some silica gel. I added a hygrometer to show RH at a glance.

Could you please detail that for me? Container details and source, hygrometer details and source, etc.

Are those stands 3D Printed? Are the files downloadable? More tools for my tools! LOL!

Thanks in Advance.
 
Could you please detail that for me? Container details and source, hygrometer details and source, etc.

Are those stands 3D Printed? Are the files downloadable? More tools for my tools! LOL!

Thanks in Advance.
from a previous post....

 
Other than cardboard vs plastic spools, are the filament spools more or less all the same/compatible?
 
Answered my own question. No standards at all. Gotta get spools to fit my printer filament management system. For now, I'm just gunna get Bambu spools and save the plastic ones.
Other than cardboard vs plastic spools, are the filament spools more or less all the same/compatible?
There are oddball sizes for some of the more exotic filaments but all the 1KG spools I've seen are the same size. I suspect the same is true of the 5kg spools but I've never used them. I would guess they're mostly used in print farms.
 
There are oddball sizes for some of the more exotic filaments but all the 1KG spools I've seen are the same size. I suspect the same is true of the 5kg spools but I've never used them. I would guess they're mostly used in print farms.
My AMS does not like the cardboard spools. I did build a rewinder a few years ago to transfer cardboard to plastic. The trays I'm printing now is the last of 3 ELEGOO white filament. The spool inserts go into the old Bambu reels really easily. Twist and lock and they already have the RFID.

I save the old RFID that's taped to the cardboard centre piece for the M3D filament.

BTW, M3D bought another extruder and they are setting up to be able to sell on Amazon. Also they now have John Deere Green.
 
Back
Top