• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Tool Face Mill recommendations please

Tool

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Filled the column with what?

Post some pictures of the extra hardware to maintain registration please.
Filled with some sort of cement specified for this purpose (filling of hollow structural beams and machine bases) + a few pounds of lead for good measure.

I added linear bearings and hardened shafts to maintain registration when lifting the head. The linear bearings were an Amazon thing that came as a pair so I decided to use both.

I did one other thing that also helped, I added thrust bearings to the three column clamping bolts, and then made permanent long handles instead of messing with a wrench. This was really worthwhile because I tighten more with a fraction of the effort.

I also added a surplus Princess auto windshield wiper motor to replace the crank when lifting the head.

All in all it makes lifting/dropping the head a near painless experience compared to the original method.
LB2 - Copy.JPG

slow-poke

Ultra Member
@slow-poke , what I would like to know is... what rear gear you have stuffed in the back of your mustang profile pic haha.
Good question
That's a really old picture, and there is a story......
When I first started racing I had a buddy from work that was a bit more hardcore than me (dragster etc). My little 289 could get a little air under the tires and I wanted more but did not have the funds for a lot more power. My buddies solution "just for fun lets throw in this 9" pumpkin from my tractor pull setup, you will get some air" that's were the sig picture came from. I barely had time to think before I had to pull the V-Gate for the 1-2 shift.

It's not the fastest way though, too much energy going up and down instead of forward, you just want a little bit to help traction.
Mustang 1nlp.JPG

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
My buddies solution "just for fun lets throw in this 9" pumpkin from my tractor pull setup, you will get some air" that's were the sig picture came from. I barely had time to think before I had to pull the V-Gate for the 1-2 shift.

It's not the fastest way though, too much energy going up and down instead of forward, you just want a little bit to help traction.

The flight is all part of the fun when dialing things in.
I've been strapping myself into an Olds for many years.
The past few years not so much, it certainly does get expensive.
Nice ride!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @slow-poke , I'm not sure where we are right now.

Do you still want one of my 1 inch stub MT3 arbours with the 3/8 drawbar thread? I had a chance to look at them this morning. You shouldn't have any trouble machining them any way you want. I have picked the best one and set it aside for you. Just say the word and it's on its way.

It might complain about being used to drive a 45 degree insert, but coming from here it is already used to a lot of cussing and foul language. Just cuss at it a bit more and use it anyway. It will probably quit complaining in a few years...... ;)

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Hey @slow-poke , I'm not sure where we are right now.

Do you still want one of my 1 inch stub MT3 arbours with the 3/8 drawbar thread? I had a chance to look at them this morning. You shouldn't have any trouble machining them any way you want. I have picked the best one and set it aside for you. Just say the word and it's on its way.

It might complain about being used to drive a 45 degree insert, but coming from here it is already used to a lot of cussing and foul language. Just cuss at it a bit more and use it anyway. It will probably quit complaining in a few years...... ;)
Yes, absolutely, please let me know how much I should send $

SP

slow-poke

Ultra Member
The flight is all part of the fun when dialing things in.
I've been strapping myself into an Olds for many years.
The past few years not so much, it certainly does get expensive.
Nice ride!
F85, 442?
How quick is it?

It does raise the heartbeat a bit, and is a lot of fun. The problem is that there is no end to going faster. The 65 is a street car with the odd trip to the track.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
The F85's. 442's were too expensive at the time.. Much like your Mustang haha..
Had a family of kids to feed at the time so..,
I went outside the norm in Olds... Pulled up with a 76 Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Pulled the wheezy 350 out, built a 461CI
Fabricated 9" rear with 433 gear/ 14x32-15 tire
Car went 11.53 @ 115 MPH, 1.572 60 FT in full street trim at the time.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When we were in our teens, early twenties, my buddy had a Cutlass Supreme 442, with the 455ci engine. That car would fly. We went everywhere in it. I honestly don't know how we survived. Speeding....always! Seatbelts...never! The stories I can tell. One day my buddy was driving it in a residential area, pouring down rain, speeding, long curving street. He goes to change the cassette, takes his eyes off the road.....well here is the results.

Attachments

• 20230224_101518.jpg
    20230224_101518.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230224_101625.jpg
    20230224_101625.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230224_101643.jpg
    20230224_101643.jpg
    579.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230224_101706.jpg
    20230224_101706.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I know not many took to the colonnade years from 73-77 but they are certainly creeping up in several places.
Can't see the rear bumper... Was that a 73 w/455?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms here when questioning what rear gear @slow-poke was running up to the heavens.
Although, there was loads of machining, porting, lapping and honing involved.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know not many took to the colonnade years from 73-77 but they are certainly creeping up in several places.
Can't see the rear bumper... Was that a 73 w/455?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms here when questioning what rear gear @slow-poke was running up to the heavens.
Although, there was loads of machining, porting, lapping and honing involved.
I can't remember the year. I can't ask him either, he passed away a couple years ago.

Attachments

• 20230224_115627.jpg
    20230224_115627.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 4

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
The wife found some old pictures .
Full street trim back in the day... no drive shaft safety loops, roll cages, nothing. Brake test, burn out box and go...
In 15 min... we would
pull the drivers seat out, throw the racing bucket in, add helmet with an on board fire extinguisher and we were good to go.
20191020_151158.jpg

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Years later after a wild turkey decided to fly into the windshield

Attachments

• turkey 1.jpg
    turkey 1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 5
  • turkey 2.jpg
    turkey 2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 5
  • turkey 3.jpg
    turkey 3.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3
  • turkey 4.jpg
    turkey 4.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 3
  • turkey 5.jpg
    turkey 5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 5

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
For the past several years it comes out in the summer, sits up at the trailer. Goes out for the odd run with the grand kids for ice cream and the odd cars and coffee meets.

Attachments

• 20191020_151128.jpg
    20191020_151128.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191020_151140.jpg
    20191020_151140.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 6