Electric panel questions.

Tincup

Why not throw some 2" HDPE pipe in that trench. You may decide to run data lines or ? Out to the shop in the future

Perry

Ultra Member
6 months later:eek:

Are those blue things crimp connectors?
Slow and steady. It will be insulated just in time for the summer. :) The blue things are wire nuts. Not supposed to hook any of the circuits up until the inspection is complete. I just put them on the ends of the wires to insulate them . (Don't want them accidentally touching anything in the panel.) There are two circuits connected on the top right. They passed the initial inpsection when the panel was installed.

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
What are those taped off heavy gauge wires on the left? They're probably not going to like unused conductors.
Those are 6 gauge conductors going to my Nema 14-50 plug (Car charger.) Neutral and ground are connected, but can not hook those up to the (50 amp) breaker until the inspection is complete. The breaker just below that is a 100 amp breaker that feeds the house. That is connected and was passed on a previous inspection.

Perry

Ultra Member
When you book the inspection they give you a time between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. The day of the inspection they narrow this down and send you out an email in the morning. So mine is between 8:00 am and noon. It's 11:00 am now. I've cleaned everyone's sidewalk in the neighboorhood. I'm running out of things to do....except come on here and cause trouble...... lol

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What are those taped off heavy gauge wires on the left? They're probably not going to like unused conductors.
A little late, the trench was covered over before the snow arrived:rolleyes:

No loss at all. Data lines are great but who needs em with WiFi being so fast today.

My barn was too far for Cat6 so I put in a wireless point to point bridge. Works great! Easy to upgrade if I ever needed it.

That said, did you think to bury a phone cable that could be used to connect an alarm? Please say yes......

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It would be great to have a separate thread on shop networking. Mine was working great for 2 years then all of a sudden it wouldn't. I was in network hell for days. One comp would have internet, then another wouldn't, I had to reset everything dozens of times. Time to upgrade my hardware.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It would be great to have a separate thread on shop networking. Mine was working great for 2 years then all of a sudden it wouldn't. I was in network hell for days. One comp would have internet, then another wouldn't, I had to reset everything dozens of times. Time to upgrade my hardware.

That would be my recommendation. Skip the wires, get the latest WiFi, and configure it as a WAP (wireless access point) only served from the house Router.

YYour only problem after that would be old non WiFi stuff like printers. But you can add a WiFi to wired bridge for that.

It boils dow to what technology do you all have in there.

Mine works great with just WiFi. Although I did have to put in one bridge to service my security cameras cuz the dumb things were wireless themselves but wouldn't connect to the network via WiFi - only wired. Go figure!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Go ahead and start one. I'll help where I can. I am a bit of a geeks geek. I have several of my own domains, my own server, I am the admin for several hosting services, and I regularly fix what the geek squad can't. I'd bet big bucks there are other members who can help too.

You are absolutely right. Networking is a part of machining these days.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm fairly well versed in computers and networking, but I'm not all up on the latest tech. If there's something new, I'd like to learn about it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm fairly well versed in computers and networking, but I'm not all up on the latest tech. If there's something new, I'd like to learn about it.

New is old, old is new. What goes around comes around! Faster and faster and faster.

There are only a few things that are really new. Security is the biggest issue. Lotsa changes there and lots to know. Also mesh WiFi for broader faster coverage with fewer weak spots. And ipv6 which is catching on but so slowly that I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@dfloen did you run a cable to your shop or are you using wifi? My shop is 100 feet from the back of my house and the router is in the front of the house. I could move it to the back but still a good distance. And not sure management would like the router as an ornament in the living room. I did not put a pipe in the ground to drag a CAT 5? cable through, unfortunately.

Currently, in my shop, my phone does not see my house wifi

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I also go wireless - if your shop has bad connection just add repeaters - they are not expensive to get. One repeater at shop entrance should give you powerful wireless in the entire shop.

Even if shop is far away, use directional repeaters. I assume far away == two miles but something more tame, like few hundred feet. I am unsure about 2 miles but for say 100m / 300ft you can get stuff for under $100 - https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Long-...ocphy=9001310&hvtargid=pla-973007825406&psc=1

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@dfloen did you run a cable to your shop or are you using wifi? My shop is 100 feet from the back of my house and the router is in the front of the house. I could move it to the back but still a good distance. And not sure management would like the router as an ornament in the living room. I did not put a pipe in the ground to drag a CAT 5? cable through, unfortunately.

Currently, in my shop, my phone does not see my house wifi

If you don't see a signal at all, your problem might be steel walls. That was my problem. I solved that with a wireless bridge. It's a bit like a repeater but faster and much longer range. In my case, I put one end of the bridge up on the roof of the house and pointed it at the barn 200 yards away. The other end was mounted high on the barn wall pointed at the house. A short Ethernet cable from the bridge outside to a wireless router configured as a WiFi Access point inside and I'm good to go.

My bridge is good for maybe 5 miles so it's more than enough to service the barn. Cost was the same for short or long range.