• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Electric panel questions.

Perry

Ultra Member
Does your panel not have knock outs on the back? Could save you some grief with the conduit routing as you’d already be in the wall.
I'm not sure. It's surface mounted on that plywood panel. I would have to go pull the front cover off.

Edit. No . I have a photo of it with cover off.

DSC_3089.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Should I plywood in that right side and run PVC and cables on the surface?

Consider laying in a piece of plywood between the two joists such that the plywood is two inches from the back wall. Then all the wires including the big one can be mounted to the plywood and because they are two inches from either wall, they will still be protected from screws from the back and from the front to meet code. Clearly, you cannot run all of your wiring up the two studs and also maintain the two inch spacing.

Perry

Ultra Member
Just an update for you gentlemen.

Family first motto cut into this project for a little bit. My grandmother has not been feeling well and I've been helping her out. The project was put on a standby.

Dabbler was nice enough to come out a few days ago and give me a few great ideas. Took a look over my plan (and I'm sure he laughed). Thank you for your time and knowledge.

I was able to purchase Tech90 6/3 (with a ground) for less then the cost of the NMD90 6/3 (if I was able to get it).

The Tech90 conductors are marked RED, Black and Blue. The Blue will need to be remarked to white at each end where it is exposed. White heat shrink will be my approach here.

I will use these connectors at each end.

I will strip the outer jacket and attach these directly to the aluminum casing, but I still think I require bonding lock nut.

I'm guessing I would need some type of bonding lock nut (grounding bushing) at the panel? I don't think one would be required at the outlet box?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I run a separate ground and ground the boxes at both ends. I'm not a fan of using the shielding as the grounding leg. No harm in having the ground on the shield as well

Perry

Ultra Member
So, you're a night owl as well?
I'm usually up late. Only time I get to research my project lately. Spent the last couple of days at the hospital helping my grandmother.

My grandmother is 104. Old age is starting to catch up with her. She was in when I was digging the trench in Sept.- Oct. then back home. Now something new has her back in again. At that age she is still doing pretty good. :)

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
I run a separate ground and ground the boxes at both ends. I'm not a fan of using the shielding as the grounding leg. No harm in having the ground on the shield as well
The Tech90 has a separate ground in the casing with the three conductors. The aluminum casing of the TECH90 makes me think the ground should have a positive contact point at the main panel with the casing and the internal ground wire. Me overthinking the whole design process. I do not know the code, but think it would be a requirement. I made a few posts on an electrical forum. Will see what they come back with. :)

Hacker

Super User
The best way to think about this is that anything metal should be bonded. If the boxes you are using are metal, skin the PVC jacket back 4 to 5 cm so the connector is on the metal shield this bonds it to the box. Use the bushing if you are using plastic boxes.

Perry

Ultra Member
One of my favorite sayings is

"Life is the shit that happens between your plans."

My plans were to be a lot farther ahead in my project by this date. The last couple months (and the holidays) were taking a big hit in my life.
This last month, basically bringing the work to a crawl if not a stand still.

Tuesday evening around 7:30 pm my grandmother passed away. She was born in Poland on July 07, 1917. 104 years old.

She was a very independent lady. She lived on her own, did her yard work and garden.... (her way, if I was able to help it was under direct guidance) shopped, and enjoyed her life. My grandfather had passed approx. 22 years ago.

She had a bad case of 104. End of August was the beginning of the small problems. By October it was apparent plans were going to be needed to be made to assist her. November was a case of Norwalk virus (which myself and a few of her care worker aids were lucky to catch) which is a pretty big hit on someone that old. She had also managed to get an infection in one of her legs which required I.V. antibiotics twice a day (8:00am and 8:00 pm)at the emergency department. This required numerous trips. (She lives approx. 100 kms away from me.) End of November she went to the hospital vomiting and not feeling well. She improved a fair bit but was having a hard time talking because they had used a tube to keep her stomach cleared out and could only whisper.

We were called into a meeting in the middle of December to meet with hospital workers and long term care people to figure out what her next step was in her life. In previous discussions with her I told her I would support what ever she wanted. If she wanted to go to a nursing home we could make that happen. Stay home, we could hire staff for 24 hour live in care. Well at the meeting the doctor brought up that she had requested MAID.

She has been telling me for a couple of years now that 100 is too old. She was still walking on her own, doing everything on her own...quality life. But too old.

For those of you that do not know, MAID is medical assistance in dying.

December 21st was agreed on and it was when she wanted to go. She did not want to be lying in a bed unable to move, talk ,use the washroom, etc.
The doctors kind of dropped the ball. Very poor communication with us. The 20th we still didn't know what was happening. Prior to Christmas they told us that one of the doctors involved would be on holidays until January and the date had been changed to the 6th.

Numerous times my grandmother had asked why they were taking so long.

Over the holidays my grandmother had a stroke. She was having a hard time swallowing, unable to speak, (she could understand me and would answer by nodding her head) and basically bed ridden. Sleeping most of the time. This is not what she wanted. :( The last couple of days have been hard as you could see the changes daily. This evening I was talking with one of the nurses who was telling me she was sleeping peacefully. Hung up and she called me back within 5 minutes to tell me that she had passed.

She was a very smart woman and knew this was coming. She wanted to go out on her terms. I'm really glad she did not have to wait two more days.

Put a little more into this then I had intended. Just though an update was in order. I'm guessing you gents were enjoying the break from all of my "amatuer" questions. ;)

A friend of mine who heard my quote told me....." if you want to make god laugh.....tell him your plans" .

Good night brothers. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for that Perry. Sounds like your grandmother was a very special lady. It's nice to read personal things like that here from time to time.

A friend of mine who heard my quote told me....." if you want to make god laugh.....tell him your plans" .

Sounds just like my wife......

Hmmmm, that could explain a few of her other "powers"......

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My condolences Perry.

You had mentioned your grandmother a number of times during our conversations. One though and special lady for sure.

Rudy

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I am so glad you honoured your relationship by being such a great grandson. I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a real firecracker.

Perry

Ultra Member
Tuesday evening around 7:30 pm my grandmother passed away. She was born in Poland on July 07, 1917. 104 years old.
Apparently today is Tuesday. It was yesterday, Monday evening that she passed.

Thank you for all the kind words guys. I hope everyone is keeping warm tonight. :)

Hacker

Super User
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She sounds like she was a wise person. Condolence to you and your family.

As for your questions I remember something my father would quote " The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise"

Take care and I will be following along with your project.

Perry

Ultra Member
Well, slowly getting back into the wiring. All the wire is run. Lots of wire, lots of money. :)

So, I'm ready to start stripping the wire at the boxes. I know there are two ways to wire in a receptacle at an electrical box. If you have a downstream receptacle you can use pigtails on the hot and neutral and connect them to the receptacle or you can use the two hot screws and two neutral screws to connect the upstream feed to the receptacle and then connect the next down stream receptacle.

Added a couple photos to clear up my poor wording.
Back_Wired_Receptacle_549_DJFsE.jpg

Parallel-wired-receptacle-385-Russells.jpg

Any reason to use one over the other? Searching the net seems to bring up mixed reasons and heated debates.

And a photo of the spaghetti.

DSC_4101.JPG