Do you have a mill and what kind is it?

What type of mill do you have?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting results. On mills the majority - 80% - have a pretty big square column or a knee mill. On the lathe front it's really evenly split. Why is that?

I was planning to wait till we had 50 participants before doing an assessment. But I've already been thinking about the results so far and noticed this too.

I think the results reflect the size of the machine and the space available. It's WAAAY easier to find room for a big mill than a big lathe. So those with limited space have to accept a smaller lathe than they would otherwise want. But they can get a much bigger mill because a big mill only takes up a bit more space than a smaller one does.

It might also be a reflection of the cost difference.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I think the results reflect the size of the machine and the space available. It's WAAAY easier to find room for a big mill than a big lathe. So those with limited space have to accept a smaller lathe than they would otherwise want. But they can get a much bigger mill because a big mill only takes up a bit more space than a smaller one does.

My take:

From where I sit, space didn’t come into the discussion. My lathe choices came from availability of used machines, the ones that found me just happened to be smaller although my latest acquisition is larger than my first. :) Of course I ruled out giveaway bargain white elephants with 10 ft beds!;)

Your second point captures the big criteria in my selection of my mill. I looked at what was available and it came down to a new bench top/mini mill vs. an experienced full size knee mill. Even a used full sized machine (=BP clone) was similar in price to a new bench top (nothing used to be found) so the more capable full size machine was a no brainer.

On top of that the depreciation of a new bench top would widen the value gap to a used full size. I have no doubt that I could sell my First for at least what I paid for it so it’s a no brainer.

D :cool:

KeeponDragon

Super User
For the time being, I checked off "no mill"
The deal is still done on the Induma 1/S that's here in town.
But the current owner, like most people, has more demands on him than time.
So hopefully in the spring, I'll finally get it home.
For now, I think its a moot point, but does that size of mill qualify as a square column or a knee?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
does that size of mill qualify as a square column or a knee?

I believe the Induma 1S is a knee mill.

I'm not the expert on calling this, but my own definition is simple. If the head goes up and down, it's a square or round column mill. If the table goes up and down, it's a knee mill. There are probably a few machines that do both but I don't know which ones.

A quill does not enter the equation. Nor does head nod, or rotate.

KeeponDragon

Super User
I believe the Induma 1S is a knee mill.

I'm not the expert on calling this, but my own definition is simple. If the head goes up and down, it's a square or round column mill. If the table goes up and down, it's a knee mill. There are probably a few machines that do both but I don't know which ones.

A quill does not enter the equation. Nor does head nod, or rotate.
Looking on the webpage I have in my bookmarks on a teardown, the bed is the up n down part. Hard to argue with your assessment.

Bandit

Super User
I thought I would double the" don't got" percentage. Not for lack of wanting, still keep looking, have decided I don't want or need another 7000+lb. beast with a #50 tool holder.
Although, I have this friend, that's got a heavier brute I can get for nothing! Let's see, a road trip, fuel costs, a trailer, how do I unload?, reenforce the floor, refurb as needed to run,???. It could be a reeeaaly good deeal!

torx10

King KC-20VS-2 (G0704 clone). Because Home Hardware will bring it in and deliver it for free. Mine did anyway. Order a spare intermediate gear before you need it. When mine broke, I replaced it with a metal gear from China. There is still another plastic gear in the gear chain to act as a weak link for next time, and it's easier to change than the intermediate gear buried deep inside. DRO and power feed are works in progress.

mbond

Premium Member
I was planning to wait till we had 50 participants before doing an assessment. But I've already been thinking about the results so far and noticed this too.

One factor may be that more people have multiple lathes than those with multiple mills. And if you can have only one, then it better be big enough to do all the work you need ;) And big mills really can work on small parts

I have only about 100 square feet, so a combination machine is just about the only choice

Clipper

Mine's a Clausing 8520 w/MT-2 spindle. It came with an 8in Rotab and 6 in original vise, both HUGE on the small machine.
It needs a new X axis nut; really weird shaped 7/16 LH thread