• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Bit of an update on the house/shop situation.
Looks like we will be able to find what we’re looking for.
But had a good conversation with the kids and neither want to move farther away from school at this point.
So we have two years of high school left then we will make the jump to hyperspace, er acreage life.
Till then we sit tight.
Thanks for following along, time to get into the shop.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
And new shop is being shelved?
Yup. It doesn’t make any sense.
There are bylaw changes coming in July that will allow a triplex or bigger to be built on a lot our size (1/4 acre). We have the biggest lot in our whole neighborhood.
Our house needs a lot of work and if we think about the possibility of selling with the idea of a developer buying it for development purposes it just doesn’t make sense to dump a bunch of money into it.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yup. It doesn’t make any sense.
There are bylaw changes coming in July that will allow a triplex or bigger to be built on a lot our size (1/4 acre). We have the biggest lot in our whole neighborhood.
Our house needs a lot of work and if we think about the possibility of selling with the idea of a developer buying it for development purposes it just doesn’t make sense to dump a bunch of money into it.
I know the feeling. Just wouldn't want to live in one of the new houses.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
My experience is that optimism can be punished. I found some great properties on Keremeos, affordable, and 'just right' - 2 years later they were 4X the price. I was saving for 2 years to be able to afford the 'low price'!!

Same pattern in Grand forks, Quesnel, and Price George. Not prime places, but same story, just about...

I've almost given up finding a place in 'the best place on earth'.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My experience is that optimism can be punished. I found some great properties on Keremeos, affordable, and 'just right' - 2 years later they were 4X the price. I was saving for 2 years to be able to afford the 'low price'!!

Same pattern in Grand forks, Quesnel, and Price George. Not prime places, but same story, just about...

I've almost given up finding a place in 'the best place on earth'.
We’re keenly aware of the fact that the market might pass us by. But we hope it doesn’t.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
We’re keenly aware of the fact that the market might pass us by. But we hope it doesn’t.
Where you are located is likely more up market than where you are looking, so you might be safe. I'm trying to move between radically different markets, and that's harder in this case.

It would be prudent to keep up to date over the next 2 years. Perhaps an early bargoon will come your way!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Where you are located is likely more up market than where you are looking, so you might be safe. I'm trying to move between radically different markets, and that's harder in this case.

It would be prudent to keep up to date over the next 2 years. Perhaps an early bargoon will come your way!
We’re showing the kids houses that we like in an attempt to sway them.
Things like outdoor fire pit, room for archery range, forest in the backyard etc

Last edited: