• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Very nice Dave . I tripled my square footage when I moved 2 houses up the street . Still , 10lbs of **** won't fit into a 5lb bag , and not not moving again ! :D And now , BOTH houses are full of **** !

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, we are definitely delayed on the garage build because new zoning bylaws are being tabled July 1, 2024.
On the plus side I get my $1100 application fee back and under the new bylaws there will only be a building permit required, not the two-step development permit/building permit dance we have now.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hopefully one less department will streamline and speed up the process,,,,,,,,,,, HAHAHA,,, I'll go take my drugs now.

It would be nice to see them make an actual improvement to the system.
One the plus side, I could proceed to get building drawings now that way my builder could begin to put an estimate together.
Hmmm that's actually a good idea.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well that was fun while it lasted.
The municipality has basically said that we can only build the carriage house if we get a variance. Which is a 6 to 12 month off in the future process. And no guarantee that it would be granted.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
David, I needed a letter of zoning compliance from my municipality for running my shop. When I first called, they told me I was not compliant with zoning rules, and could not run a shop at home. She said I needed to pay a non refundable fee of $1800 to have a variance tabled, with no guaranteed outcome. I then cited the zoning bylaws where it shows that I was in fact within the rules, and she said, 'Oh, I didn't know about that', and wrote me my compliance letter.

Did they give you a reason why you need a variance?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David, I needed a letter of zoning compliance from my municipality for running my shop. When I first called, they told me I was not compliant with zoning rules, and could not run a shop at home. She said I needed to pay a non refundable fee of $1800 to have a variance tabled, with no guaranteed outcome. I then cited the zoning bylaws where it shows that I was in fact within the rules, and she said, 'Oh, I didn't know about that', and wrote me my compliance letter.

Did they give you a reason why you need a variance?
Yes, they have a rule whereby the total square footage of the building that contains the suite is counted. The maximum allowable suite size on my size lots is 93 sq meters . My suite is 65 sq meters and the garage is another 50 sq meters so we're 13 sq meters over. We argued that the garage is not for the use of the suite occupants but that fell on deaf ears.

At the end of the day it's not the end of the world. We have options. We are sitting on a 1/4 acre lot less than 300m from a major bus line. In July there will be new zoning bylaws come down which will potentially allow for 3-4 units on a lot this size. So the land holds a lot of value for a developer.
We'd move to something like this:
953042_1.jpg