• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you! That is a relatively early serial number after they adopted the 'Peace sign' logo so probably 1973-1974? My G-18862 is the only one so badged that I've run across that has an earlier serial number.

Does it have the original motor? Probably a tag similar to this (from G-22753):

View attachment 45360

Craig
I expect it does. I pick it up today and will let you know.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I put digital pen to electronic paper and came up with a new layout for the existing garage.
Started by taking down the wall.
Total chaos but it will get better.
With respect to the floor plan what you are missing by the lathe/mill/Toolbox is a small worktable. Even if you put your woodworking table on wheels it's not likely you'd want oily stuff sitting on it. For example a place to lay down the caliper, the plans for the project, test screws or nuts etc. Perhaps if it's a small roll around table with a shelf that then holds the vise and rotary table and maybe a 5C indexer.

I think we have to treat it like a kitchen that has a decent work triangle. Not Fridge/Stove/Sink but Mill/Lathe/Table.

Make sure you hang a welding curtain behind the welding table. I have white tiles on the wall over cement board. I was surprised to see little metal bits have melted their way into the white tiles. You don't want the back of your mill polluted with that.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think we have to treat it like a kitchen that has a decent work triangle.

I like this thinking. My lathe is setup like a small kitchen - a working aisle between the lathe and a work surface on top of a tool cabinet. Sometimes I put a tall stool in there to put working tools and parts on too. I know it's sacrilege, but I put a Vernier and chuck tools on top of the gearbox which is basically a big flat bowl with sides.

The work table for my mill is also a mill tool cabinet beside it with the rotary table on top as well as a little work space. I much prefer the lathe setup with a center aisle.

I love your U-shaped kitchen work center thinking. Maybe I should get a rolling cabinet for both that can be put at the sides. Maybe even the same rolling cabinet for both.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
With respect to the floor plan what you are missing by the lathe/mill/Toolbox is a small worktable. Even if you put your woodworking table on wheels it's not likely you'd want oily stuff sitting on it. For example a place to lay down the caliper, the plans for the project, test screws or nuts etc. Perhaps if it's a small roll around table with a shelf that then holds the vise and rotary table and maybe a 5C indexer.

I think we have to treat it like a kitchen that has a decent work triangle. Not Fridge/Stove/Sink but Mill/Lathe/Table.

Make sure you hang a welding curtain behind the welding table. I have white tiles on the wall over cement board. I was surprised to see little metal bits have melted their way into the white tiles. You don't want the back of your mill polluted with that.
I have just the thing for that.
Yesterday I bought a pantograph/engraver that came on a handy-dandy rolling cart that will be be just the ticket.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thank you! That is a relatively early serial number after they adopted the 'Peace sign' logo so probably 1973-1974? My G-18862 is the only one so badged that I've run across that has an earlier serial number.

Does it have the original motor? Probably a tag similar to this (from G-22753):

View attachment 45360

Craig
Yup just like that.
IMG_1060.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
1.5 solid days of effort resulted in the major items in their new locations.
Just have to deal with a big pile of 1/2” plywood and 2x4’s from the walls I took down.
Space now feels like a place I want to spend time in.
I still need to get rid of a bunch of crap. Though as soon as I do I’ll regret it.
IMG_1066.jpeg