• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I dropped off my new motor and old drum switch at Bob's Electrics today so that he can wire in the drum switch. I had a solid college go at it but could not get it to make sense.
After seeing Bob puzzle over it for 20 mins on the bench I felt much better about my inability to puzzle it out.

So what was his wiring solution?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Gotta admit, the cynic in me is just imagining the vendor sending the same picture of that mill to all their customers past, present and future. But even in that case, it's pretty exciting just getting a new mill :)

Given that it is indeed your mill, wow - I'm impressed with their level of customer service.
Honestly the person I have been dealing with has been exceptional. Probably didn't hurt that I also responded in Cantonese and English.
She also sent me these pics.

IMG_20230421_113322.jpg

1682120785195.png

R8 spindle.JPG
01.JPG.png

03.JPG

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Probably didn't hurt that I also responded in Cantonese and English.
You can talk/write in Cantonese too?! Awesome. I'm still struggling with just one language, I wish I could speak another language (pig Latin does not count).

The new mill is also pretty awesome looking. I think you will be very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I dropped off my new motor and old drum switch at Bob's Electrics today so that he can wire in the drum switch. I had a solid college go at it but could not get it to make sense.
After seeing Bob puzzle over it for 20 mins on the bench I felt much better about my inability to puzzle it out.
Here's what I'm thinking about to lock on my chuck:
I have been thinking of that setup for mine as well. I don't have a reverse switch wired in yet, so haven't bothered to make one yet.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have been thinking of that setup for mine as well. I don't have a reverse switch wired in yet, so haven't bothered to make one yet.
I have a plan to make a faceplate so I’ll need to do some internal threads into a blind hole.
Not fun thus the need for reverse

Last edited:

Larry_C9

Premium Member
It is belt drive, one of the deciding factors in its selection.
I agree. Good choice. Some of us with the CX601 machines have had troubles in the gear area. To keep it alive you need to tip the head over to access an inspection cover at the back to grease the gears from time to time. Then of course you have to retram the head afterwards.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I agree. Good choice. Some of us with the CX601 machines have had troubles in the gear area. To keep it alive you need to tip the head over to access an inspection cover at the back to grease the gears from time to time. Then of course you have to retram the head afterwards.
I have read some horror stories about shorn gears ⚙️ and the use of metal replacements.
I hope to avoid all of that nightmare.