• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I forewent the fwd/rev switch because it.s a threaded spindle. I never ran my South Bend in reverse so I have no reason to believe that I'd run the Clausing in reverse.

I really wouldn't want a lathe I couldn't run in reverse David. I'm surprised that you never ran in reverse before, but I confess you give me pause to think about it.

Without reverse on an Imperial lathe, it is difficult (if not impossible) to reverse thread, cut metric threads, part in reverse, work on the backside, etc etc

I would urge you to review the thread lock options and carefully reconsider this feature.

Also, @Darren 's accident happened in forward when the braking forces (cold oil, etc) and centrifugal forces exceeded the threading torque. That could sneak up and bite anyone. I think a thread lock is almost mandatory on lathes with threaded spindles.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I really wouldn't want a lathe I couldn't run in reverse David. I'm surprised that you never ran in reverse before, but I confess you give me pause to think about it.

Without reverse on an Imperial lathe, it is difficult (if not impossible) to reverse thread, cut metric threads, part in reverse, work on the backside, etc etc

I would urge you to review the thread lock options and carefully reconsider this feature.

Also, @Darren 's accident happened in forward when the braking forces (cold oil, etc) and centrifugal forces exceeded the threading torque. That could sneak up and bite anyone. I think a thread lock is almost mandatory on lathes with threaded spindles.
I’ve single point threaded exactly twice, never had metric change gears, and my South Bend and Clausing have no potential to work on the backside of the chuck so these are not factors for me.

Could a chuck spin off? I suppose it could happen if I had reverse and used it or if either of my machines wear gear heads filled with cold oil instead of spindles and belts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve single point threaded exactly twice, never had metric change gears, and my South Bend and Clausing have no potential to work on the backside of the chuck so these are not factors for me.

Wow...... It's hard to believe you have done so little threading.

But we are all different.

One thing is for sure. You are not a new machinist so you know what you need and what you want. I've said my peace and the ball is in your court now!

Play ball, and have fun!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow...... It's hard to believe you have done so little threading.

But we are all different.

One thing is for sure. You are not a new machinist so you know what you need and what you want. I've said my peace and the ball is in your court now!

Play ball, and have fun!
I have done lots of threading I just prefer to use dies.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My drill chuck and arbor showed up today so I finished the change gear bushing.
image.jpg
Got it all back together and even with the addition of two more gears, the gear train is quieter than it was was before.
I'll chalk it up to my amazing machining skills and gear lash setting abilities ;)

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
o_Oo_Oo_O
That's gone up over 50% from about three years ago. That's nuts!

I would get the package dimensions and weight and look into sending them a shipping label from what ever shipper you prefer that has a decent shipping rate.
Yeah I'm thinking about that. Purolator would be cheaper I expect.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Even Fedex should be better. I shipped 100lbs of chucks to Ont two years ago for $100 with Fedex.

Mind you, the winds blow west to east so shipping must be more expensive coming this way.:confused:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Even Fedex should be better. I shipped 100lbs of chucks to Ont two years ago for $100 with Fedex.

Mind you, the winds blow west to east so shipping must be more expensive coming this way.:confused:
Bison 5" 3-jaw chuck without backplate is about 10 lbs according to KBC: https://www.kbctools.ca/itemdetail/7-800-050
Purolator wants $100 to ship an 11lb item from HH Roberts to me. So maybe the HH Roberts estimate is not far off.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@David88 looks like its Bison 7-800-0500? Price converted isn't much of a spread. I've always found KBC to be more than Ajax but it varies by model & of course factor shipping & FX. On Set-Tru chucks KBC was astronomically higher but maybe for these more prevalent/smaller models the gap is closer. Shipping inside Canada is easier but I certainly had no issues with Ajax. They have other good brand names & occasional sales, but you cant go wrong with Bison. I posted the front mount model too. That's another thing, sometimes the price difference on backplates vary or not in stock so shipping together may favor one vendor over another.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
@David88 looks like its Bison 7-800-0500? Price converted isn't much of a spread. I've always found KBC to be more than Ajax but it varies by model & of course factor shipping & FX. On Set-Tru chucks KBC was astronomically higher but maybe for these more prevalent/smaller models the gap is closer. Shipping inside Canada is easier but I certainly had no issues with Ajax. They have other good brand names & occasional sales, but you cant go wrong with Bison. I posted the front mount model too. That's another thing, sometimes the price difference on backplates vary or not in stock so shipping together may favor one vendor over another.

Thanks the one from HH Roberts is a 3285 2-piece jaw, $190 plus tax :)