• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I haven't had too much trouble, but I got in there early when the high low shift was acting up and found that the shaft that controls the shift fork didn't have a location hole drill in the right place so, I think it was, the low speed wasn't totally engaging. With the plastic gear that could have been an early failure. I made a new shaft to correct that. When I was in there I noticed that the light grease they were using had mostly been thrown off the gears. I found some grease from Petro-Can that had a high adhesive value and have been using that ever since. For anybody that is interested it is called G124 grease and it comes in cartridges. I use it on the change gears in the lathe also. In there it stays on the gears and doesn't get thrown onto the belt.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I haven't had too much trouble, but I got in there early when the high low shift was acting up and found that the shaft that controls the shift fork didn't have a location hole drill in the right place so, I think it was, the low speed wasn't totally engaging. With the plastic gear that could have been an early failure. I made a new shaft to correct that. When I was in there I noticed that the light grease they were using had mostly been thrown off the gears. I found some grease from Petro-Can that had a high adhesive value and have been using that ever since. For anybody that is interested it is called G124 grease and it comes in cartridges. I use it on the change gears in the lathe also. In there it stays on the gears and doesn't get thrown onto the belt.
I’m very curious to see what the motor/belt arrangement looks like on my mill.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I have seen pictures of it and the geared belt setup looked good. Also somewhere there was a conversion to convert the gear head mill to the geared belt drive. I don't know where to find that now. It was quit a while ago.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Picked up my rewired motor and switch today. Best $80 I spent in a while.
And my TouchDRO adapter arrived today. Did a trial assembly and shocking no one more than myself it works with the Z scale I have. The other scale is due this week.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just working from this: https://www.touchdro.com/store/diy-dro-glass-scale-adapter-v2.html#documentation
I bought the pre-built kit so all I have to do is figure out the pinout on my scales.

I could not resist a peek at the unit's docs. I noticed that it also has an rpm input and a probe input. According the manual, the probe is a tool setter for CNC.

But I just got a tool setter to evaluate for Z-Axis edge finding w/o cnc. The way I'm thinking is to put the tool setter on the bottom of the vise jaws, touch off the probe and set zero (or an offset) on the DRO Z Axis. This makes the bottom of the part the Z-Axis zero edge. A table of offsets could be used to compensate for parallels. In a discussion on this with @thestelster, he also suggested I might be able to use the tool table function for the parallels.

I know that you are planning to go cnc, but those of us who are not planning to swim with sharks would appreciate any insights you might gain for us too.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I could not resist a peek at the unit's docs. I noticed that it also has an rpm input and a probe input. According the manual, the probe is a tool setter for CNC.

But I just got a tool setter to evaluate for Z-Axis edge finding w/o cnc. The way I'm thinking is to put the tool setter on the bottom of the vise jaws, touch off the probe and set zero (or an offset) on the DRO Z Axis. This makes the bottom of the part the Z-Axis zero edge. A table of offsets could be used to compensate for parallels. In a discussion on this with @thestelster, he also suggested I might be able to use the tool table function for the parallels.

I know that you are planning to go cnc, but those of us who are not planning to swim with sharks would appreciate any insights you might gain for us too.
I have no intentions of going CNC on my mill. Not sure what might have given you that impression.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no intentions of going CNC on my mill. Not sure what might have given you that impression.

I don't know, but I did. Glad to hear I dreamed it. You will be ok as long as you stay away from anything remotely resembling dark side cool aide.