• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
OK now I have to try and figure out how to wire up a new motor to my drum switch.
When I went 3 phase and VFD on the lathe I tossed the drum switch. I still flip the belts around and tend to leave the VFD at 60Hz but there are times where it's handy to just dial down or up the speed a tad. And there is a reverse switch if I want to risk spinning off my chuck and sending it across the room.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
When I went 3 phase and VFD on the lathe I tossed the drum switch. I still flip the belts around and tend to leave the VFD at 60Hz but there are times where it's handy to just dial down or up the speed a tad. And there is a reverse switch if I want to risk spinning off my chuck and sending it across the room.
Three phase wasn’t in the cards. $600 all in. Not happening.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Does this help? You need to have 6 wires coming out of the motor. The motor I bought didn't have 6 wires coming out so I took it to Bob's Motor Electric on David Street and he rewired it for $60ish. At least this way I didn't let any smoke out.
1681440060508.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Got it wired up. I forewent the fwd/rev switch because the lathe has a threaded spindle. I never ran my South Bend in reverse so I have no reason to believe that I'd run the Clausing in reverse.

In other news, adjusting the spindle bearings made a massive difference in the possible DoC. When I was making the change gear bushing I was pushing the edge of chatter with a 15 thou DoC in 1.5" 1018 with HSS tooling.
With the adjusted bearings I can take a 40 thou DoC on 1018.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Does this help? You need to have 6 wires coming out of the motor. The motor I bought didn't have 6 wires coming out so I took it to Bob's Motor Electric on David Street and he rewired it for $60ish. At least this way I didn't let any smoke out.
View attachment 33551
Thanks MIke, I appreciate that. Much easier to comprehend than everything I found.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My Emco V10P had a threaded spindle with a locking collar. I made a few backplates of my own with this feature as well. For those i used shaft collars, and they worked well. Being able to reverse the spindle is a must for me.

I did have a chuck fly off on me once as well, just shutting the lathe down, not even reversing and i guess the collar wasn't tight. It messed me up pretty bad.. ripped the palm of my hand open when i blocked the 5" chuck from hitting my face (would have been a tragedy, as my beauty is everything to me).

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
ripped the palm of my hand open when i blocked the 5" chuck from hitting my face (would have been a tragedy, as my beauty is everything to me).
I don't know Darren. Looks to me like your face resembles the side of a pickup truck...
Oh, and before I forget...
;)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
My Emco V10P had a threaded spindle with a locking collar. I made a few backplates of my own with this feature as well. For those i used shaft collars, and they worked well. Being able to reverse the spindle is a must for me.

I did have a chuck fly off on me once as well, just shutting the lathe down, not even reversing and i guess the collar wasn't tight. It messed me up pretty bad.. ripped the palm of my hand open when i blocked the 5" chuck from hitting my face (would have been a tragedy, as my beauty is everything to me).
Do you have any pics of those setups?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
LOL if you'd ever seen my face, you'd know. Car accidents and scrappin have left their mark, but that chuck had the jaws reversed....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you have any pics of those setups?

Ya, there is a whole thread about it that I think you started......

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, there is a whole thread about it that I think you started......

Blame it on age and a crap day :)