DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That works only if you have magnetic scales.

So go get magnetic scales.

Or get an I-gauging unit. They work with touch dro too.

So let me put it this way to you David. There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever put a scale under my chuck or where my tailstock could hit it when I can put it inside where it is safe. If I already had scales for the other locations, I'd sell them at a loss, buy new ones, and get on with putting the scale inside. Yes, the other locations work, but they are a compromise at best. Inside is just hands down better.

In fact, if I already had scales on the front or back, I'd take them off and replace them with inside scales. That's how strongly I feel about it.

Headstock side
Pros
It works
Easy to install
Cons
Buried in swarf
Easily damaged by parts
Limits carriage travel

Tailstock Side
Pros
It works
Easily installed
Cons
Easily damaged by tailstock
Limits tailstock travel
Limits drilling depth

Inside Cross-Slide
Pros
It works
Fully Protected
No travel limitations
No swarf issues
Cons
Install is complicated

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

So let me put it this way to you David. There is no way on God's green earth that I would ever put a scale under my chuck or where my tailstock could hit it when I can put it inside where it is safe. If I already had scales for the other locations, I'd sell them at a loss, buy new ones, and get on with putting the scale inside. Yes, the other locations work, but they are a compromise at best. Inside is just hands down better.

In fact, if I already had scales on the front or back, I'd take them off and replace them with inside scales. That's how strongly I feel about it.

Headstock side
Pros
It works
Easy to install
Cons
Buried in swarf
Easily damaged by parts
Limits carriage travel

Tailstock Side
Pros
It works
Easily installed
Cons
Limits tailstock travel
Limits drilling depth

Inside Cross-Slide
Pros
It works
Fully Protected
No travel limitations
No swarf issues
Cons
Install is complicated
Good to have strong opinions I suppose.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member

Headstock side
Pros
It works
Easy to install
Cons
Buried in swarf
Easily damaged by parts
Limits carriage travel

Tailstock Side
Pros
It works
Easily installed
Cons
Limits tailstock travel
Limits drilling depth

Inside Cross-Slide
Pros
It works
Fully Protected
No travel limitations
No swarf issues
Cons
Install is complicated
my only concern with the iGaging scales is in my experience they are prone to interference. I had them on my mill, when I use the AC head lift motor the iGaging display would reset. No issue using glass scales. The iGaging cables are only vaguely shielded, using cheap USB cables. I did go to better quality heavier USB cables, which reduces some of the reset problems, but did not eliminate them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nothing I have read about using iGaging scales with TouchDRO is confidence inspiring. I know lots of folks use them without issues but I'm not going to use iGaging scales.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I like that idea about putting the magnetic tape inside the cross slide but where does the readhead go ?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Headstock side
Pros
It works
Easy to install
Cons
Buried in swarf
Easily damaged by parts
Limits carriage travel

Tailstock Side
Pros
It works
Easily installed
Cons
Limits tailstock travel
Limits drilling depth

Inside Cross-Slide
Pros
It works
Fully Protected
No travel limitations
No swarf issues
Cons
Install is complicated
Here's my IGaging scale on the tailstock side of the cross slide on my little lathe. I loose maybe 1/2" of tailstock travel up to the carriage but that could not matter less as I can get so close to spindle anyhow.

Damaging the scale has also been zero concern as I have a simple angle over the scale that protects it from falling objects.

I do have some sort of occasional interference with the carriage scale and have for a long time. I have to just power on/off the Igaging display to reset and it never looses its 20230413_153246.jpg position. A bit annoying but not enough to replace it. I suspect cable interference issues.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's my IGaging scale on the tailstock side of the cross slide on my little lathe. I loose maybe 1/2" of tailstock travel up to the carriage but that could not matter less as I can get so close to spindle anyhow.

Damaging the scale has also been zero concern as I have a simple angle over the scale that protects it from falling objects.

I do have some sort of occasional interference with the carriage scale and have for a long time. I have to just power on/off the Igaging display to reset and it never looses itsView attachment 33530 position. A bit annoying but not enough to replace it. I suspect cable interference issues.
How do you adjust your cross slide gibs?

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Looks good. On my lathe when you run the cross slide all the way to either end part of the carriage is exposed. Does yours not do that ?

Tecnico

(Dave)
Need a scale for the long z axis, just slot a length of aluminum and mount that to the rear of the lathe.

Had I known then what I do now I might have fabbed a tape scale for my mill X axis rather than buying a full size glass because they didn't offer a thin line glass that long. I'd have used a length of 3/4 x 1/2 aluminum (or maybe stainless to match the table TCE) and cut a groove in it for the tape. Would save about 1/2" of Y travel.

Next time, LOL!

D :cool:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Larry_C9 you would need to add an extension like @Xyphota did here in post 10 so that you have coverage for the full travel. @TorontoBuilder 's machine barely uncovers the head so only a short extension is needed.

D :cool:
Larry I just clued in to what I think you meant.....here's the backside of the crosslide. I made a small extension to hold the scale and it just nicely clears the backsplash when fully extended.

20230413_170353.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes , but mainly when it is all the way forward. Did your lathe come with the metal cover over the cross slide screw cavity ? Mine is exposed when the cross slide is back like that.
Oh yes that metal cover was standard issue with the lathe. Here's a close up of it.

What lathe do you have?
20230413_174542.jpg

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
Larry I just clued in to what I think you meant.....here's the backside of the crosslide. I made a small extension to hold the scale and it just nicely clears the backsplash when fully extended.

View attachment 33535
I meant when they put the scale inside the cross slide.
Mine is mounted something like yours but with the Magna Slim scale I used it barely comes above the cross slide and still leaves clearance above the gibbs screws along the back of the cross slide.