• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd be happy to set you up on a match to mine, but yeah, there is a day of pfaffing about once the parts are in a pile.
I need to come and have a look. Are you about tomorrow after work?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
More that I don't want to be soldering components onto a circuit board or having to debug code :)
I guess it all depends on how much money you have. All of the Electronic Gearing or ELS systems require you to mechanically connect motors, pulleys, power supplies wiring etc.
I'm personally still of the opinion that the best systems are ones where you move only one connector from the ELS over to a PC to have full CNC for that time you need something that isn't possible any other way.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess it all depends on how much money you have. All of the Electronic Gearing or ELS systems require you to mechanically connect motors, pulleys, power supplies wiring etc.
I'm personally still of the opinion that the best systems are ones where you move only one connector from the ELS over to a PC to have full CNC for that time you need something that isn't possible any other way.
I'm totally good with the mechanical stuff and even basic electronics (witness my CNC router) but if I don't have a set of insert tab A into slot B type of instructions for the magic pixie bits I get a bit frazzled.
Though I did manage to sort out the issues with my limit switches on my laser so there's that :)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'm totally good with the mechanical stuff and even basic electronics (witness my CNC router) but if I don't have a set of insert tab A into slot B type of instructions for the magic pixie bits I get a bit frazzled.
Though I did manage to sort out the issues with my limit switches on my laser so there's that :)
Since you are local it's redundant to try and explain in an email. Better you come over here for a demo. I have both the South Bend with a single axis and the Gingery with both. The Gingery goes to a standard Break Out Board to which are connected the stepper drivers, ESTOP and spindle index.

Everything from Break Out Board on to the hardware is the same no matter what type of system you put together. The thing is if you want to limit yourself to not being able to do CNC without a major rewiring for that one time you want it.

On the South Bend most of the use of my ELS is turning to a shoulder or boring to a shoulder and not have to worry about when to stop. Decide to change the tool orientation slightly it's a simple matter to touch off and continue. Even CNC isn't that easy for that sort of thing since it requires some sort of rehoming or tool touch off procedure.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just received some clarification from Weiss on my previous costs.
I asked why the WBL250F was more expensive than the larger WBL290F as I assumed the $959 freight was on top of the $2000.
DDP means the seller must pay both export and import formalities, fees, duties and taxes.

The response:
The price we quoted to you for WBL250F is DDP term, and WBL290F is EXW. term. It is different cost calculation method.
The DDP price means the total price from our factory to your home, including the customs duties.

The WBL250F DDP price is: USD2000.00(10x22), USD2100.00(10x30) without optional accessories.
The WBL290F DDP price is: USD1879.00+USD959.00=USD2838.00 without optional accessories.

Please take Note:
1. The price is not including the unloading fee.
2. Final price will depend on final weight and package.
3. The minimum weight is 200kg. For the WBL250F: the actual weight is 155kg, but it will be calculated as 200kg. So you can add some optional equipment to make the total weight to 200kg if there are somethings you need.

If I add in the steady and follow rests, 4-jaw and faceplate for $185 USD I get $2185USD/$2953CDN for the 10x22 vs $3700 ($3300 + $428 taxes) for the CX706.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The minimum weight is 200kg. For the WBL250F: the actual weight is 155kg, but it will be calculated as 200kg. So you can add some optional equipment to make the total weight to 200kg if there are somethings you need.

Now there is a sales pitch and a half if I ever heard one.....

That said, I'm impressed that the DPP price is all in except unloading! Bet your heart had some arythmia when you read that!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Now there is a sales pitch and a half if I ever heard one.....

That said, I'm impressed that the DPP price is all in except unloading! Bet your heart had some arythmia when you read that!
Oh it definitely did!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
For those following along at home I also asked Precision Matthews for a quote on an PM1022.
Price: $2899USD/$3923CAD inc QCTP
Shipping & liftgate: $554USD/$749CAD
GST & Brokerage: $328 CAD
Total: $5000CAD
Yeah, the economies of scale are why I wound up with the larger CX701. Blondihacks has sold a bunch of these 10x22 lathes for PM, but by the time you're in for that much it makes sense to go a little larger.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Alrighty folks.
I'll be getting a to my door quote for the following:

WBL250F (10x22), Item No. 10103255 with imperial lead screws and dials, 110V/1PH/60Hz, UL type plug.

Please include:
Steady rest
Follow rest
Faceplate
4-jaw chuck
Back plate (for 4-jaw)
ER32 collet chuck
Back plate (for ER32 collet chuck)
Thread dial

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
PM isn't inexpensive but they are showing "in stock".

Do you know exactly what you want in a new machine as to features, accessories?

If you're not in dire need then it might be prudent to have patience and watch the second hand market.

If you need a one off, once in a while job done you have friends that are willing to help out until what you want shows up. Might not be as convenient but would avoid the dreaded "buyers remorse".

Just my thoughts.

Edit - in the end as long as you're happy that's all that matters.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
PM isn't inexpensive but they are showing "in stock".

Do you know exactly what you want in a new machine as to features, accessories?

If you're not in dire need then it might be prudent to have patience and watch the second hand market.

If you need a one off, once in a while job done you have friends that are willing to help out until what you want shows up. Might not be as convenient but would avoid the dreaded "buyers remorse".

Just my thoughts.
Appreciate that Mike.
Precision Matthews is pretty much out of the question as the value for dollar just isn't there in my opinion. If the exchange were more favourable it would be a contender.

I have a very good idea of what I'm looking for.

Same overall capacity as my South Bend, but 1" spindle bore and much smaller foot print.
I was always on the hunt for a South Bend steady and follow rest but they are rare and very expensive when they come up. Last steady rest I saw was $425 USD.

This may sound a bit odd and super picky but one of the things that bugged me about my South bend was that nothing was flat or square on the castings. Putting a DRO on it was was a real trick. Hence it was never done even though I had (and still have ) the DRO.

I'm actively searching for used as well but as you know the pickings are slim.

This may sound a bit odd and super picky but one of the things that bugged me about my South bend was that nothing was flat or square on the castings.
That's funny, because it's the sharp edges and blockyness of the Asian, machines that turn me off from them. Just don't like the look of them or the feel when I rest my hand on one of the corners, nevermind hitting the corner with the back of my hand or head. For my mind, the pain of installing a dro is a one and done, looking at it is forever. Lol :p
Probably explains my daily driving a 78 Ford truck as well.......:rolleyes:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Did find this 1966 under drive South Bend 9 for $3500.
Contacted the owner, waiting to hear back.
View attachment 32985
What size SB did you have before. I don't remember although I'm sure I saw it.