• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Looks like an Accusize wedge style tool post, bonus.

It's advertised as a 9C but it has a QCGB and apron feeds which would make it a 9A.

I saw this a while back but you weren't looking at that point and I didn't think it was much of a deal, at the time.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks like an Accusize wedge style tool post, bonus.

It's advertised as a 9C but it has a QCGB and apron feeds which would make it a 9A.

I saw this a while back but you weren't looking at that point and I didn't think it was much of a deal, at the time.
Thanks Mike, it's not an amazing deal at $3500. If I can get it for $3K or less I'd be happy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This may sound a bit odd and super picky but one of the things that bugged me about my South bend was that nothing was flat or square on the castings. Putting a DRO on it was was a real trick. Hence it was never done even though I had (and still have ) the DRO.

That would not have even made me slow down enough to put a turn signal on David. A gobb of steel filled epoxy stuck to the casting where ever you want it with a screw and a piece of flat stock with release agent on them will make an ideal raised flat spot on any curved surface flat as a ruler. Just let it setup a bit before you stick the mold on. Even my hartford has a rough cast base with uneven surfaces. Piece of cake to deal with. Some guys even use body filler. Don't let that stop you from getting whatever lathe you want.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That would not have even made me slow down enough to put a turn signal on David. A gobb of steel filled epoxy stuck to the casting where ever you want it with a screw and a piece of flat stock with release agent on them will make an ideal raised flat spot on any curved surface flat as a ruler. Just let it setup a bit before you stick the mold on. Even my hartford has a rough cast base with uneven surfaces. Piece of cake to deal with. Some guys even use body filler. Don't let that stop you from getting whatever lathe you want.
Yeah I know... just me being lazy to be honest. :(

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok here are the lathes I have lined up.
In no particular order:
- Weiss WBL250F - 10x22,1" bore, change gears, power feeds long and cross driven by key. Variable speed, bolt on chuck, $3000 delivered, tax in
- Craftex CX706 - 10x22 as above, $3300 + taxes = $3700
- Clausing 100 Mk3 - 12x36, .75" bore, change gears, power feeds long and cross driven by half nuts and bevel gear. Belt drive with back gears, 1.75x8 spindle, price tbd, local to me
- Modern Tools CQ6128X660 11x26, 1" bore, change gears, power feed long only driven by half nuts, bolt on chuck, $1500 plus shipping

The Weiss is attractive because it's has long and cross power feeds, small footprint and is not $4000 delivered.
The Craftex is the same lathe as the Weiss but $700 more expensive.
The Clausing is appealing because of the large capacity, mass (500-600 lbs) will likely be less than 2K. I am a bit concerned about lead screw driven power feeds on a machine where parts are NLA. Its 700 rpm max spindle speed but I think that can be remedied with pulley swaps.
The Modern Tools only has long power feed lead screw driven.

For any of these I would likely implement an ELS of some variety for the convenience of changeable feed rate as single point threading has never been a big factor for me.

The Clausing and the Modern Tools would leave a big chunk of funds for a bench mill.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok here are the lathes I have lined up.
In no particular order:
- Weiss WBL250F - 10x22,1" bore, change gears, power feeds long and cross driven by key. Variable speed, bolt on chuck, $3000 delivered, tax in
- Craftex CX706 - 10x22 as above, $3300 + taxes = $3700
- Clausing 100 Mk3 - 12x36, .75" bore, change gears, power feeds long and cross driven by half nuts and bevel gear. Belt drive with back gears, 1.75x8 spindle, price tbd, local to me
- Modern Tools CQ6128X660 11x26, 1" bore, change gears, power feed long only driven by half nuts, bolt on chuck, $1500 plus shipping
Unless the Clausing is a smoking good deal, I'd pick the Weiss WBL as the winner.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Is cross border shopping an option for you?
Seattle?
It is except the exchange rate is brutal. That lathe at asking price would be over $3300 CDN. :O
Same problem with Precision Matthews, PM1022 is 2900USD + $554USD shipping.