• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Yes it's a total Fein knock-off.

Here we go again......

Your link takes me to $263 not $226. That's not a bad price either but gee wilikers...... It almost seems like the whole world knows what I'm interested in......

Screenshot_20231028_140820_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried it yet David?

Here we go again......

Your link takes me to $263 not $226. That's not a bad price either but gee wilikers...... It almost seems like the whole world knows what I'm interested in......

View attachment 39457

Have you tried it yet David?
Sorry John I had the prices mixed up with another for $226 but I wanted variable speed so went with the $262 version.
I haven't tried it yet because I need some coolant but I have fired it up. Not the quietest thing ever but the magnet is insanely strong.

Sorry John I had the prices mixed up with another for $226 but I wanted variable speed so went with the $262 version.
I haven't tried it yet but I have fired it up. Not the quietest thing ever but the magnet is insanely strong.

No sweat David. I'd prolly pay the extra for variable speed too. Especially for 2" holes!

Is the optional drive 3/4" Weldon? If so, I could use my existing annular cutters.

I might pick one up too. Going to need one to finish the sawmill. I figured I would have stumbled upon one on marketplace by now, but it's been slim pickens for a while.

Mag drill, where have you been all my life?!?!
This thing is awesome.
Four 9/16” holes in about 2 minutes.
Flood coolant works well.
Using Koolmist 77.

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpeg
    IMG_0665.jpeg
    479.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0667.jpeg
    IMG_0667.jpeg
    844.9 KB · Views: 4
Couple of observations about the drill.
Bear in mind I have never used a mag drill or annular cutters before.
When the cutter breaks through the bottom surface there was a pretty good pop or bang as the slug was ejected. I didn't get the same feedback as a twist drill so it was difficult to judge when to ease up on the feed pressure. Likely more use will fine tune my senses with it.
Second, (and I knew this), the surface the drill sits on make a really big difference to its holding power.
On the 3/16 plate at the headstock end there was no way I could move it once the magnet was activated. On the 3x3x3/16 tube the base overhung the sides of the tube by maybe 1/4"-5/16". If I used a lot of feed pressure, it would tip back on the rear edge of the base. I suspect that if there was no overhang it would be fine.

When the cutter breaks through the bottom surface there was a pretty good pop or bang as the slug was ejected. I didn't get the same feedback as a twist drill so it was difficult to judge when to ease up on the feed pressure. Likely more use will fine tune my senses with it.

I use annular cutters from time to time on my mill and I've even used them on my drill press a few times. They don't cut like a hole saw or a drill bit. I think your "pop" is pretty typical. It has never been a problem but I do try to control the down pressure so it doesn't get away from me. My vise and those cutters are expensive.

I use annular cutters from time to time on my mill and I've even used them on my drill press a few times. They don't cut like a hole saw or a drill bit. I think your "pop" is pretty typical. It has never been a problem but I do try to control the down pressure so it doesn't get away from me. My vise and those cutters are expensive.
The first time it happened I hit the off button immediately and inspected the cutter thinking I broke off a tooth!

Thing of beauty, is the counter shaft bracket next?

Have you got the new shop drawn up yet?;)
Yup, I have all the pieces for the counter shaft rough cut to length. Waiting on some tooling (counterbore set and bottom tap) to get started.

No plans yet but we’re sorta set on ~20 x 30. That would represent a 33% increase in floor space. A lot depends on what the municipality will allow.
We learned that it has to be minimum of 4m from the house which is about 3 ft further forward than the current garage.
I’m ok with that as that will let me build bicycle storage and air compressor outside the shop

Well this was a nice discovery.
The cross slide still shows flaking.
IMG_0683.jpeg
And we’re progressing with the garage/carriage house build.
Got the proposal from the designer today.
They are doing everything they can to ensure that we don’t have to apply for a variance.

And we’re progressing with the garage/carriage house build.
Got the proposal from the designer today.

I have always loved the idea of a carriage house. It isn't a part of my dreams anymore, but if I was younger it would be.

They are doing everything they can to ensure that we don’t have to apply for a variance.

I sincerely hope that they succeed!

Back