• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Digikey is a really good supplier. I use them as an example when I speak with others that are not so good to illustrate what they should aspire to. Their shipping policy is a great example, they charge $8.00 or N/C over $100 and they deal with the brokerage all for the same price. No surprises. Other businesses should work with their couriers (FedEx in this case) to get such good rates.

Anyhow, Digikey. I order electronic bits from resistors & capacitors to (simple) ICs to cable and connectors, basically components that can build up assemblies. I did get a bunch of parts that I needed to refurb my power feed from them too.

When it comes to components to build computers I go to someone like Canada Computers and Newegg but these are commercial built up boards like video cards, hard drives etc.

Hope that’s what you were asking.

D :cool:

@David_R8 that's a great looking stand. I know this wasn't part of your design, but have you seen any good ideas for supporting shelves but at varying heights if conditions later dictate? I've seen an array of holes drilled in the legs & then pins or bolts. Or pre-welded tabs (which are then kind of sticking out if not being used). One day I'm going to get something like yours made up, more for a work bench unit than a machine stand. But I always pause on shelves because I want the volume to be useful in that manner.

@David_R8 that's a great looking stand. I know this wasn't part of your design, but have you seen any good ideas for supporting shelves but at varying heights if conditions later dictate? I've seen an array of holes drilled in the legs & then pins or bolts. Or pre-welded tabs (which are then kind of sticking out if not being used). One day I'm going to get something like yours made up, more for a work bench unit than a machine stand. But I always pause on shelves because I want the volume to be useful in that manner.
Thanks, appreciate that!
I’m planning to build a chest of drawers to go inside the opening.
I think if I wanted adjustable shelves I might drill and tap holes so that I could attach shelf support uprights.
Like these:

Depends on the span really. There’s 47” between the legs which would be a long shelf. It would need to be more than a sheet of plywood. Definitely would have to have bracing to prevent sag.

Last edited:
wow. REALLY wow... I tried to look up in the above comments for the brand and style -- I do have to repaint some of my lathe.

Very nice work! - don't forget the long diagonals on the back of the stand - they make a lot of difference to rigidity. Strength is unimportant. Rigidity is the key to a good stand!!!

I'm guessing that's from a Sherwin Williams shop, what kind of paint did they sell you for metal?

Is their colour matching to the closest of the formulations they have in the database (which is what automotive jobbers do) or does it actually create a matching formula for you?

NAPA matched my First mill to a Mercedes colour! Was close enough but not exact.

D :cool:

Diagonals in.

Sides too David. The majority of lathe forces are perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. In some ways, the sides are more important than the back. Curved would be better to widen and flatten the frequency response, but straight is WAAAAY better than nothing. As @Dabbler said, it isn't about strength. That thing would already carry a D8 Cat as is. It's all about rigidity.

Sides too David. The majority of lathe forces are perpendicular to the axis of the spindle. In some ways, the sides are more important than the back. Curved would be better to widen and flatten the frequency response, but straight is WAAAAY better than nothing. As @Dabbler said, it isn't about strength. That thing would already carry a D8 Cat as is. It's all about rigidity.
That should suffice.
IMG_0655.jpeg

Back