• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

My 4-jaw chuck arrived today.
Bit surprised as I ordered a Steelex but received a Sanou. Not unhappy as my last Sanou chuck was very nice. This one is very clean, smooth and slop-free.
The 4-jaw that I bought from Shars for my South Bend was a total piece of crap which was very maddening because of how much I paid for it. This was $232.
I picked up the backplate for the original 4-jaw and this will definitely fit as the register is the smaller inner diameter.
chuck 1.jpgchuck 2.jpg

Last edited:
Is that 26" height with or without the wheels?

Even with, that's tall to fit under a lathe stand. I never realized you were a big fellow too.

Also, I don't know what you had in mind, but I'm thinking that won't leave much room for a very rigid lathe stand. Your only option might be a regular box frame.

What are you planning and what are your design goals?

Even with, that's tall to fit under a lathe stand. I never realized you were a big fellow too.

Also, I don't know what you had in mind, but I'm thinking that won't leave much room for a very rigid lathe stand. Your only option might be a regular box frame.

I'll likely take the wheels off. I like a taller machine as I can't stand hunching over.

Ah hyes, the 2965... You will have room for something *else* to the left or the right..,.
Yes I was thinking about a smaller shop-built cabinet or something else like my shop vac that I seem to be constantly tripping over.

On my Clausing the distance from the floor to the middle of the spindle is 46” and I would prefer if it were another inch or two higher.
I’m 5’10” with my boots on and I have a 3/4” thick stall mat in front of the lathe so I’m basically 5’11”.
I’m building the stand from 3/16” wall tubing. 3” sq legs with 1x2 stretchers. The corners will have gussets of 1/8” plate.

I'll likely take the wheels off. I like a taller machine as I can't stand hunching over.

Me too. But one has to see the backside sometimes too. It's a compromise no matter what.

In any event, the trouble with most stands that accommodate a removeable tool box is the reduction in rigidity that goes hand in hand with a simple box frame. There are lots of ways to beef up the rigidity but a box frame isn't usually one of them without adding a lot of big plate. Of course, an open front works against you too. Everything is rubber.

One thing to consider is giving up that side space for the vacuum and boxing it in. That gives you the opportunity to make two rigid columns - one on each side. Perhaps with an opening in one of them to place the vacuum into.

I hate that vaccum too.....

Me too. But one has to see the backside sometimes too. It's a compromise no matter what.

In any event, the trouble with most stands that accommodate a removeable tool box is the reduction in rigidity that goes hand in hand with a simple box frame. There are lots of ways to beef up the rigidity but a box frame isn't usually one of them without adding a lot of big plate. Of course, an open front works against you too. Everything is rubber.

One thing to consider is giving up that side space for the vacuum and boxing it in. That gives you the opportunity to make two rigid columns - one on each side. Perhaps with an opening in one of them to place the vacuum into.

I hate that vaccum too.....
That’s not a bad idea. I definitely have enough material to do that.
I’m also adding diagonal braces across the back.

If my stand were just 1" higher, it would take that set of drawers also. Too bad the other lathes have zero room for drawers below. You'd think they would, they are bigger in every way!

I’m building the stand from 3/16” wall tubing. 3” sq legs with 1x2 stretchers. The corners will have gussets of 1/8” plate.

I can't really visualize that....

What I usually try to visualize is an image of something made of flexible metal - rubber according to some. The stand compresses, stretches, twists, and bends. We tend to only think about bending. But all are not great for rigidity. Gussets and stretchers don't fix that. They add lots of strength but strength isn't the same thing as rigidity. Plate steel and lots of mass are your best friends for high rigidity. Materials like concrete, cast iron, and even sand (in bags of course) are also good but they get ugly fast.

The other opportunity is bent steel which can be much more rigid than straight steel because it resists loads in many planes and directions simultaneously. Yes, bent steel isn't as strong in bending, but strength isn't the main goal. It only needs to be strong enough. But it can't be too rigid.

Anyway, something to think about before you start cutting and welding.

IMG_3503.jpegTwo words:

pallet racking.

My main workbench is 84” long, 42” wide, 38” high. Custom made end plates, four 7ft Redirack 4”x3.5” box beams rated at 8400 lbs load. If you hunt around you can find Redirack or equivalent stuff cheap or free, every warehouse on earth has some rusting away in a pile behind the building.

Deck is inner layer of t&g 2x6 flooring running north-south, a layer of 3/4” t&g plywood, top layer of t&g 2x6 running east-west.

3/8” carriage bolts connect the layers, with one short edge having carriage bolts going through all of the wood layers and the steel horizontal top bar.

When I built this I had one long edge against a wall, so I didn’t bother trimming the grooved edge of the hidden 2x6s.

As @Susquatch says, everything moves and bends. My bench probably does, but not enough to measure under any load I’ve ever placed on it.

Last edited:
On my Clausing the distance from the floor to the middle of the spindle is 46” and I would prefer if it were another inch or two higher.
I’m 5’10” with my boots on and I have a 3/4” thick stall mat in front of the lathe so I’m basically 5’11”.
My SouthBend spindle sits at 49.5" above the ground. I too have a 1" mat in front of it and I'm 6' so I like that height. Even so it wasn't tall enough to allow the casters which is why I ended up removing them to fit it under the lathe.
CabinetInstalled.jpg

My SouthBend spindle sits at 49.5" above the ground. I too have a 1" mat in front of it and I'm 6' so I like that height. Even so it wasn't tall enough to allow the casters which is why I ended up removing them to fit it under the lathe.
View attachment 39089
I used to have a pair of cast iron legs like those but they were only 22" tall. Sold them for a tidy profit as they were basically too short for anything I needed.

Back