• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

Well so much for cutting up the steel to make the lathe stand this weekend. Bought four new 64.5" blades for my 4x6 saw on Friday and all of them are too short.
:mad:

That's my size too. I haven't had the too short problem but I have had trouble finding them. Especially high quality blades with low tooth count for aluminium.

I have wrecked two blades now doing "just a tiny cut" on steel with a low count blade. I wish it was easier to change blades. Not buying two machines.

That's my size too. I haven't had the too short problem but I have had trouble finding them. Especially high quality blades with low tooth count for aluminium.

I have wrecked two blades now doing "just a tiny cut" on steel with a low count blade. I wish it was easier to change blades. Not buying two machines.
I was saying to @YotaBota that the new blades fit perfectly inside the old blade as compared to my portaband blades which when nested together the inside blades have a bulge for the excess length.

Took a break from trimming out the bathroom.
These are the outside jaws for the three jaw chuck. They were still in the bag.
Likewise the MT5-MT3 taper adapter!
Judging by their pristine condition I’d say they have never been used.
IMG_0630.jpeg

I thought the step was a bit off but what do I know <shrug/>

In case it matters, I thought it was weird when I saw your photo too. Usually you only see that when the adapter is used to step up, not DOWN. The ones that step down are usually coincidentally concentric - ie one inside the other.

In case it matters, I thought it was weird when I saw your photo too. Usually you only see that when the adapter is used to step up, not DOWN. The ones that step down are usually coincidentally concentric - ie one inside the other.
My guess, based on what I see in the photo is that it's an MT5-MT3 adapter at the front end where is a taper. The back half doesn't look like it's tapered so it's possible it was designed to be held in a 3 or 4 jaw chuck to hold MT3 tooling.

A little comment on tooth count on blades as I'm cutting aluminium right now.

With any material go with the largest tooth count you can use. The main determining factor on the number of teeth is material wall thickness. The thinner the material the more teeth required.
The second factor is material Aluminium requires less teeth if possible because of clogging of the teeth which causes binding in the cut with all sorts of negative results. Finally feed rate, harder materials require high feed rates (higher pressure) so that the teeth can bite and don't wear out the blade, softer materials (aluminium) require slower feed rates (less pressure) just enough to so that the blade can clear to chips without binding yet still cut.

This took some knowledge from manufacturers of the blades and experience (destroyed blades) to figure out this simple knowledge.

Know rarely need to change blades because most of the issues are resolved.

What do I cut, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, and steel in that order same blade for all, only change happens with thin walled cuts of any material.

Back