• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

I know you've already bought material but I was thinking that 3/8 would be easier to manipulate than 1/2.

Easy enough to get more material
Great ideas! I feel the need to add information to the discussion. This assembly has 2 bearings press fit into the one end. this requires about .710-.720 thickness at the bearing, as it is a press fit to a shoulder. the bearing thickness is around .600 (@David_R8 ? can you verify?) with around a .100 shoulder to seat the bearing to.

In addition on the one side [marked A], the bearing retaining boss is actually *inside* the pulley for about .200 and the end bar has to be relieved to the diameter of the pulley plus about 3/4" - or all the way to the joint/angle if you prefer. Both the bearing bosses have to be over .700 marked B on the picture. The dimension marked C is the width of the narrow part, and should be the exact measure of the current part for this part to work correctly.

@David_R8 design above was more schematic than dimensional, so it would be better if a dimension drawing of the current part is done. Either David or I can do this, but it would help everyone to be on the same page.

Here's a high resolution [picture of the installed part with the pulleys in place: [edit sorry for the dim markings. this was a quickie using Paint]

Lathe headstock top.JPG

Well crap. My trusty Milmermatic 130 just stopped working

Sounds like a GREAT excuse for an upgrade.......

As David stomps into the house, huffing and puffing, he is heard to mutter.... "GD Frkn Welder just quit after 40 years of hard use. I needed that right now like I needed a hole in the head....." Then he stiffens up a bit, straightens his shoulders, grits his teeth and mutters..... "Oh well, at least it paid for itself a hundred times over. Now I gotta go buy another one! Gunna go research welders to make sure I get one at least as good that will last the rest of my life...."

Sounds like a GREAT excuse for an upgrade.......

As David stomps into the house, huffing and puffing, he is heard to mutter.... GD Frkn Welder just quit after 40 years of hard use. I needed that like I needed a hole in the head..... At least it paid for itself a hundred times over. Now I gotta go buy another one! Gunna go research welders to make sure I get one at least as good that will last the rest of my life....
If I do upgrade it will be a Primeweld machine

Post above edited for minor improvements intended to increase the odds of full spousal support......

Since I have a Primeweld and gave up my MIG to get it, I miss the speed of the MIG compared to TIG but not much because the ease of quality welds far outweighs the speed on all materials.

Back