• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

My friend in Burnaby is just looking to trade his 2014 RT to get back on a GS or some other adventure bike for our planned trip to Tuk next summer.

More outside the shop work.
Ordered 2 yds of 3/8 minus crush to build out a pad so I can turn the ST around. Did most of the work yesterday when it was 27 degrees. Rented a 20” compactor this morning when it was 30 degrees.
The crush compacted down very well.
71357707673__66CE1EEF-25DA-4587-862F-DDDF49B87BB0.jpegIMG_0374.jpegIMG_0375.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice I’ve got a couple small compressors, one lives in the basement and one will live next to the lathe for when air is needed it’s better than running hoses all over.

KMS has the Metabo HPT compressor on sale. Described as ultra quiet, <59db.
It is truly quiet.

Nice! CFM?

one will live next to the lathe for when air is needed it’s better than running hoses all over.

I use a can of wind or I run the hoses. Nothing in between. I'd love a bigger refillable wind can.

Not sure I could tolerate a small compressor next to my lathe or my mill....... Even a quiet one.....

Go buy a portable air tank from PA, great for filling a tire or put on a blow gun for small projects.

I have one. I use it exactly as you do and wouldn't be without it. I LOVE IT! Especially since my shop is 200 yards from the house.

Too clumsy for the lathe without a hose though. I'm looking for something handheld. Like a can of wind but bigger.

I thought about using one of those fluid cans for oil and just dedicating it to air. But both of the ones I have are filled with oil and cleaning them out for clean air is probably a frustrating experience.

I retired my old damaged air pig a while ago and certainly do miss it. Instead of getting a new pig, I’m considering getting a battery portable compressor (i have lots of M18 stuff & extra batteries) - it would be similar size and only a little heavier than an air pig but at nearly $500 it’s a bit hard to justify:

I like the more compact, cheaper & lighter DeWalt unit but i only have a DeWalt die grinder with a pair of small batteries- so I’d have to spring for another battery:

(Santa season is just around the corner - i always put at least one thing under the tree for me from Santa - that way Christmas is never disappointing)

Just found this comparison review of the Milwaukee and DeWalt portal compressors:

A couple of air tanks off a transport truck at the truck wreckers work excellent for carry tanks and very inexpensive ( $10 each I think mine were).
very easy to rig up. A couple pieces of 1/4 tubing to make a T handle that screws into the center hole ( you will need some to attach a tire inflator) and then a Milton coupler for one of the end holes and your fixed.

I like the more compact, cheaper & lighter DeWalt unit but i only have a DeWalt die grinder with a pair of small batteries- so I’d have to spring for another battery:

Very interesting. A battery powered compressor that actually works! How many dozens have I purchased or been given that were pure crap. They don't work when you need them and never reach adequate tire pressure.

If these two actually work, they might be worth a try. I have a fair number of DeWalt 20V tools so that seems like a no-brainer - if it works. Although prolly still too big to be included in a travel tool kit.

I'm going to pick up the broken part from the BB lathe on Wednesday. I'll take a bunch of pics, see if I can come up with a plan of attack to make a new part. I don't think repairing it is an option though I might JB Weld it together for measuring purposes.

Picked up the parts tonight. No pics yet sorry. Arrived at the place while they were in the process of moving the lathe out. Was glad I was there as it was pretty sketchy and they needed the extra hands.

@Dabbler I would really appreciate your expert advice on rigging this particular machine.

It ws my first move. and I hired professionals to do it. They did it a lot different than I'd do it now. I'm up from now til midnight. Call any time!

Back