• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

trlvn

Ultra Member
Not terribly concerned really given that what I paid delivered was about $800 less than the same machine from Busy Bee before delivery.

img_0188-jpeg.36076

I take it then that everything else checks out OK functionally? No rust on the main screws? R8 tools seat properly and have acceptable TIR? Powerfeed works at slow speeds? Etc.

Low cost Asian machines are notorious for having grinding grit left in places where it shouldn't be. Have you inspected the drive train and table/head slides?

Craig

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
img_0188-jpeg.36076

I take it then that everything else checks out OK functionally? No rust on the main screws? R8 tools seat properly and have acceptable TIR? Powerfeed works at slow speeds? Etc.

Low cost Asian machines are notorious for having grinding grit left in places where it shouldn't be. Have you inspected the drive train and table/head slides?

Craig
Everything else checks out ok.
I hope to get the stand built today and then I can get it up to a level where working on it is easier. I’m too old to be crouching on the ground!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I stand up, I find the various pops, cracks, and snapping noises add some interest to the local sound scape.

I thought it was supposed to be snap, crackle, pop, not pops, cracks, and snapping..... ;)

I think you should consider hearing aides and if you already have them (I do), then check to make sure you have them on properly and consider putting new batteries in them. They work better that way for some silly reason.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I thought it was supposed to be snap, crackle, pop, not pops, cracks, and snapping..... ;)

I think you should consider hearing aides and if you already have them (I do), then check to make sure you have them on properly and consider putting new batteries in them. They work better that way for some silly reason.
Not snap, crackle, pop. I wouldn't want to infringe on any Big Cereal copyrights and get sued.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
What direction are you going with that bike? Many years ago I had a 1973 cb 350 barn find I bought to turn into a cafe racer, but caught the racing bug and sold it to fund the tire addiction. I've always loved the look of that era honda parallel twins.
cb350.jpg

Got it running and fixed it up enough to ride (dirty) around town twice, then tore it all down over the course of a winter in our condo, and eventually sold it as a basket case for twice what I paid. Might be the only bike I ever actually made money on lol. The engine sat on our Coffee table for about 6 months while I bought in parts, and refreshed it That's when I knew she was a keeper.... Probably why I have such an affinity for those engines......

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
What direction are you going with that bike? Many years ago I had a 1973 cb 350 barn find I bought to turn into a cafe racer, but caught the racing bug and sold it to fund the tire addiction. I've always loved the look of that era honda parallel twins.
View attachment 36140

Got it running and fixed it up enough to ride (dirty) around town twice, then tore it all down over the course of a winter in our condo, and eventually sold it as a basket case for twice what I paid. Might be the only bike I ever actually made money on lol. The engine sat on our Coffee table for about 6 months while I bought in parts, and refreshed it That's when I knew she was a keeper.... Probably why I have such an affinity for those engines......
I think I’m going to take the restoration path. It’s a complete bike, came out a barn after 20 years of not moving.
I may swap in new shocks and maybe fork springs but otherwise my plan is to leave it stock.
I lucked out that the seat is perfect. The only thing that I have to redo is the tank paint.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I think I’m going to take the restoration path. It’s a complete bike, came out a barn after 20 years of not moving.
I may swap in new shocks and maybe fork springs but otherwise my plan is to leave it stock.
I lucked out that the seat is perfect. The only thing that I have to redo is the tank paint.
Nice. Kind of glad to hear that it won't get chopped up. Mine was missing too much to try and restore. On my budget at the time anyway. I appreciate an original classic now more than I used to also.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
No strange noises when i crouch or stand up, just need something to hang on to to pull myself up. I will amend that, lots of noises but usually moans and groans.
If we’re complaining about things, I wore the skin off one elbow two weekends ago and now wore the skin off the other one today :D

I had a lot of fun doing it but I’m baffled on how to get callous’s on my elbows