• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

I can handle almost all my mess. But damn, I *hate* cleaning up aluminium swarf. Seems to stick to everything and no surface stays clean unless I repeatedly wipe everything down with clean cloths. Steel is so much easier to clean up.
I do 99.9% of my work with Aluminium.....OMG.....no matter what I do, the scarf gets everywhere.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I can handle almost all my mess. But damn, I *hate* cleaning up aluminium swarf. Seems to stick to everything and no surface stays clean unless I repeatedly wipe everything down with clean cloths. Steel is so much easier to clean up.
Should try cleaning out a Briggs & Stratton crankcase with demolished balancer connecting arms. Almost a power... everywhere.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Only took about 20 mins to cut through the track. I was expecting it to take longer.
There was an old RR section hand lived in our small town untill he passed that could part a rail with 2 blows of a very big FBH and a big cold chisel. The chisel had a 4 ft long handle welded to it so the holder was safe and ol' Steve ( ex WWII polish freedom fighter and tough as nails) was very particular where you held the chisel...had to be in the exact spot he wanted. hit it on one side then roll it over and hit on the other side & you had a parted rail.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There was an old RR section hand lived in our small town untill he passed that could part a rail with 2 blows of a very big FBH and a big cold chisel. The chisel had a 4 ft long handle welded to it so the holder was safe and ol' Steve ( ex WWII polish freedom fighter and tough as nails) was very particular where you held the chisel...had to be in the exact spot he wanted. hit it on one side then roll it over and hit on the other side & you had a parted rail.
Did you mention that story on this forum some other time? I'm sure I remember that story from somewhere and I hope it was from you because if it wasn't I'd be inclined to think it is one of those great stories that get retold by people as if they had first hand experience with the characters when in fact they didn't. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did you mention that story on this forum some other time?

I've never heard it before, but I confess that my Spidey senses are tingling. The only way I can rationalize that experience is that they dumped poor quality steel into RR tracks in that part of Canada. ;)

My grandfather somehow got his hands on a big pile of RR track that he and my uncle's broke down using this method. He used the pieces as fence posts and pierced holes in the web that they strung logging mainline cable through. Was/is one heck of a durable fence that didn't even waver when I hit it with one of my old trucks back in the day.....

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Did you mention that story on this forum some other time? I'm sure I remember that story from somewhere and I hope it was from you because if it wasn't I'd be inclined to think it is one of those great stories that get retold by people as if they had first hand experience with the characters when in fact they didn't. :)
I may have but it was probably a while ago....I cant remember what I had for breakfast let alone what i posted before. :)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
After spending two weeks in customs the tailstock for the Taig lathe has been released for delivery.
And the 8ga extension cord for my welder should arrive today so I can get the mill base welded up.
No phone call for mill delivery yet though.

After spending two weeks in customs the tailstock for the Taig lathe has been released for delivery.
And the 8ga extension cord for my welder should arrive today so I can get the mill base welded up.
No phone call for mill delivery yet though.
I can almost picture the scene...... @David_R8 nervously pacing back and forth in front of a newly created bare patch of floor with a box of cigars in his hand..... Machine birth can be stressful, wives need to learn this and steer clear until the new baby is home and on the level...... Common parenting skills one would think.....:cool:
@YotaBota , perhaps you can scoot over with the new battery pack and warm up some light machine oil in anticipation.......:rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mill arrived early.
Not pleased at all with the amount of surface rust on the machined surfaces.
Email sent to vendor.
Will see what Evaporust will do here.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    801.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0182.jpeg
    IMG_0182.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0185.jpeg
    IMG_0185.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 27

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Gave the rust at the top of the column a quick rub down with Evaporust on a rag. 90% came off.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy Crap David! Did they forget to oil it before shipping?

Has to be mostly superficial! I'd try a light oil penetrant first.
Not all of it is like that so I think for the most part it was well oiled but not all of it.
I don't know what's under the paper as I can't reach it with out dismantling the crate. That will happen tonight.