• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DavidR8's shop shenanigans

In doing my research in converting to Ball Scews and speaking to repair shops and manufacturers.

The biggest killer is backlash in CNC as it cause premature wear. This is one of the reasons that better CNC machines are Double Nutted to add pretension removing backlash. The backlash basically allows movement from one bearing surface allowing impact that creates damage and wear.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
After selling my motorcycle project I also sold the lift.
Paid for in full on Saturday afternoon, pickup Tuesday afternoon (today).
Messaged the buyer at 0930 hrs this morning asking approximately what time they’d be here to pick it up. They read the message but didn’t respond.
Now it’s 1700 hrs and nada.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A few years back I sold an engine to a fella for $750. He never came back for it and I had no clue who he was or how to contact him. I held it for a year and sold it again. Maybe you'll get lucky too?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A few years back I sold an engine to a fella for $750. He never came back for it and I had no clue who he was or how to contact him. I held it for a year and sold it again. Maybe you'll get lucky too?
That’d be awesome!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Almost a change gear bushing.
Discovered that my drill chuck is only 3/8”’and I need 1/2” to bore the hole.
Hand feeding crappy, gummy 1018 is well, crappy. As the finish demonstrates. Going to have to try John's shear cutter grind.
80364B4A-2330-4FDF-B8A2-BDB329E43231.jpeg
521212C5-01E9-491F-878C-88AF13398D45.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
After selling my motorcycle project I also sold the lift.
Paid for in full on Saturday afternoon, pickup Tuesday afternoon (today).
Messaged the buyer at 0930 hrs this morning asking approximately what time they’d be here to pick it up. They read the message but didn’t respond.
Now it’s 1700 hrs and nada.
At 1830 I heard from him. "Sorry going to be tomorrow"
Dang good thing I work from home and didn't take the afternoon of to meet him :rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The motorcycle lift pickup saga continues.
Messaged buyer again today @ 10:41 asking for approximate pickup time. Read the message with minutes.
No response.
As of 4:20 he's a no-show.
How hard is it to send a blasted message?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Probably arguing with his wife about it right now. "but honey, it's a GOOD deal, and I NEED it". Maybe she off'd him for buying it without asking.....Finally had enough. :D

Just out of highschool my buddy sold his Mustang to a stripper making her way across Canada on a "feature tour". She paid him cash, took the car, and a week or two later he gets a call from thunder bay Opp telling him they found his car abandoned. She never changed the ownership, it was still in his name, with his plates on it (why I don't know). Cops told him to come get it, they were impounding it and he'd be on the hook for the fees. They couldn't reach her, nobody could, and she was MIA and essentially a ghost as far as the cops were concerned. Him and his brother drove up there and drove it home. He tried getting in touch with her every way he could think of, we even called a bunch of strip clubs from BC to rue saint catherine for a few days, to no avail lol. He hung onto it a while and ended up selling it again a few months later, and never heard about it again. The only time I think anybody has ever come out ahead on dealing with a stripper.

Maybe in another month or so, you'll get to sell it again.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If he stands you up again, tell him your moving the bike to the street and will take no responsibility for what happens to " HIS" bike. See if lights a fire under his butt.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
At 5:30 pm I get a message from the buyer telling me that they will be there in 10 minutes.
And that I need to be ready for them to arrive.
WTAF? Ready? I was ready yesterday afternoon FFS.

The dudes minions finally showed up at 5:50.
Nearly hit my truck backing into the driveway. Talking inches.

I did not lift a finger. Dude got a 1 star buyer review from me.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In other news, I'm going with the TouchDRO route on the lathe. Picked up a Kindle Fire for $50, installed the TouchDRO app. Ordered some scales, 1 micron for the cross slide and 5 microns for the carriage.
If you have tim can you detail this purchase/configuration? Mounting the scales is interesting, but I'd be very interested in the selection, setup and configuration of Yuri's DRO.