DavidR8's shop shenanigans

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One of the things that worries me about buying the Clausing is the half nuts as they are not available from Clausing.
So a bit of Google-fu found this:

Hmmm

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I spoke with Robin Hood this morning. The Standard Modern 11-20 (almost 13" swing?) has a footprint of 26X45 ish... They are Metric-only or Imperial-only, until you make your own 120/127 change gear. Nice solid machines, def thinking about.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I spoke with Robin Hood this morning. The Standard Modern 11-20 (almost 13" swing?) has a footprint of 26X45 ish... They are Metric-only or Imperial-only, until you make your own 120/127 change gear. Nice solid machines, def thinking about.
Rare as hen’s teeth so far as I can tell.
If someone knows of one I’m all ears.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One of the things that worries me about buying the Clausing is the half nuts as they are not available from Clausing.

Hmmm
Did you check with Clausing? I was surprised at how many parts were available from them for my old Atlas 618. That was 10 years ago however.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

Hmmm
Straightforward enough for any lathe really. And he could have condensed the two videos into a 3 minute one.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Keep an eye out for an Emco Super 11. Pretty comparable to an SM 1120 but maybe a bit nicer. They can also be had with a pretty decent milling head , if you really want to save on shop space. I know that I recent saw one for sale in Washington or Oregon for a great price.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A bit of a drive but,,,,,

There was a lot of three SM1120's come up at auction a while back out east but I don't remember seeing any out this way..
I bought a spindle sander from a fellow who had 9” SM. I remarked that I’d buy it if he wanted to sell it.
Messaged him last week. No way he’d sell it as it was his fathers. Can’t really blame him.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The shop selling the SB9a and the CX600 also has a Clausing 100 with gearbox sitting out on the porch. I asked him about selling it but got a very guarded, not sure about selling it response. I'm guessing he has a price but I don't think I'd want to pay it.

Whiskers31

Premium Member
I like seeing pictures of peoples shops gives me hope something to aspire to once I realize that shops are not supposed to be storage sheds then maybe I will be able to have one also

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The shop selling the SB9a and the CX600 also has a Clausing 100 with gearbox sitting out on the porch. I asked him about selling it but got a very guarded, not sure about selling it response. I'm guessing he has a price but I don't think I'd want to pay it.
Where was this????

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
This is the SB9a and CX600 in Sooke

I don't what it would take to pry the Clausing from his hands. It supposedly works but condition is questionable.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
This is the SB9a and CX600 in Sooke

I don't what it would take to pry the Clausing from his hands. It supposedly works but condition is questionable.
Right, thanks Mike!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Just called Clausing to inquire about parts and drawings and they are closed.
All set up to see the Clausing lathe tomorrow @ 100

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You could do worse. I am frankly concerned about the Weiss/BB quality. When I visited the BB showroom last, I was unimpressed. But with some work, I think it can be made into a good lathe, but it's fitments wre lousey.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
You could do worse. I am frankly concerned about the Weiss/BB quality. When I visited the BB showroom last, I was unimpressed. But with some work, I think it can be made into a good lathe, but it's fitments wre lousey.
Unless the Clausing is completely clapped out I expect I'll pick it up. If I recall correctly he also has an RF45 mill which I'm also going to ask about :)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I think an RF45 mill is just about the right size for your shop. In that 2" X 2" X 2" envelope it really cannot be beat for price/performance. I hope it has R8 instead of MT3 - then it would be perfect.